Solo Road Trips

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
2 years ago I drove Boston to Raleigh by myself. Picked up the lady friend at 2am-ish, and we drove together the rest of the way to Orlando.

Should have taken 12 hours, but it took 16 hours due to insane traffic through Philly. I had my phone plugged in and just let Pandora ride. I packed a couple good sized sandwiches, oranges, bananas, chips, a case of Cokes, a case of waters, and a 4pk of sugar free Rockstars.

I drove 10+ hours before stopping to piss and refuel. Once I made that first stop, a few more stops were close behind it because I broke the seal and had to piss non stop.

My suggestion is to try hitting heavier traffic cities around midnight. Have a cooler of your refreshments in your passenger seat ready to go...and just go. Stop for fuel an hour before you truly need gas, cuz you might get stuck in Baltimore in a seedy ass area by yourself in the middle of the night trying to piss and get gas.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: FMichael

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... My suggestion is to try hitting heavier traffic cities around midnight. Have a cooler of your refreshments in your passenger seat ready to go...and just go. Stop for fuel an hour before you truly need gas, cuz you might get stuck in Baltimore in a seedy ass area by yourself in the middle of the night trying to piss and get gas.
The people who stay in seedy ass Baltimore don't seem to have any problem pissing & getting gas in the middle of the night.

Last edited:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
The people who stay in seedy ass Baltimore don't seem to have any problem pissing & getting gas in the middle of the night.
Probably true. I wasn’t driving through the nicest part of town either.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Not having watched Mad Men, I had to research the Don Draper routine. The only solo getaway-on-a-whim road trips I've ever taken had hockey games at the destination (STL to Grand Rapids, STL to Wichita, and STL to OKC). None had the traffic challenges described by @TD Charlie, but the in-car routine was similar: Stocked with snacks & drinks, tunes playing, stopping only when the urge was nearly overwhelming. Definitely a different experience when you've got just you to satisfy.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
2 years ago I drove Boston to Raleigh by myself. Picked up the lady friend at 2am-ish, and we drove together the rest of the way to Orlando.

Should have taken 12 hours, but it took 16 hours due to insane traffic through Philly. I had my phone plugged in and just let Pandora ride. I packed a couple good sized sandwiches, oranges, bananas, chips, a case of Cokes, a case of waters, and a 4pk of sugar free Rockstars.

I drove 10+ hours before stopping to piss and refuel. Once I made that first stop, a few more stops were close behind it because I broke the seal and had to piss non stop.

My suggestion is to try hitting heavier traffic cities around midnight. Have a cooler of your refreshments in your passenger seat ready to go...and just go. Stop for fuel an hour before you truly need gas, cuz you might get stuck in Baltimore in a seedy ass area by yourself in the middle of the night trying to piss and get gas.
One year I just said "f*** it" and went Mass Pike->I84->I81 and went all the way around the Boston/Providence/NY/NJ/Philly/Baltimore/DC clusterf***. It was far out of the way but I'm glad I did it. I f***ing HATE traffic and although I-81 in PA is literally always under construction, at least it wasn't like being buried in NJ summer heat for hours.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
One year I just said "f*** it" and went Mass Pike->I84->I81 and went all the way around the Boston/Providence/NY/NJ/Philly/Baltimore/DC clusterf***. It was far out of the way but I'm glad I did it. I f***ing HATE traffic and although I-81 in PA is literally always under construction, at least it wasn't like being buried in NJ summer heat for hours.
On my last run to Florida that's the route I took coming back north. Didn't realize how treacherous some of those PA highways can get . I started heading over towards 81 around Richmond and just swung it wide all the way up, taking the TappanZee bridge instead of the GWB.

The roads less traveled through PA would be a lot more fun if I wasn't driving a loaded down SUV, I will admit that much

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Sirius XM is worth every penny on road trips.
If you're getting it 5-6 bucks a month for the whole shebang, maybe. Otherwise, Pandora is free and will do the job just as well, with fewer interruptions and a more personal playlist

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If you're getting it 5-6 bucks a month for the whole shebang, maybe. Otherwise, Pandora is free and will do the job just as well, with fewer interruptions and a more personal playlist
I use my personal collection of mp3s on a flash drive in the Shelby for music, sd card fur the Audi.

I do find value in siriusxm for comedy on road trips though, but music? Nothing better than my own collection.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
This is what I pulled off just recently:

Day 1-Saskatoon to Minot, ND.
2-Minot to just outside of the Twin Cities. Liked getting through Minneapolis/St.Paul late at night and stayed in a Holiday Inn Express (hotel of choice for an in/out driving place) just into Wisconsin. Don't like to stay in a major city while driving. A little cheaper and don't have to fight morning traffic when hanging in the suburbs.
3-Wisconsin to Cincinnati. Kind of a hell day. Heavy traffic all day and held up in Chicago for a long time and again around Indy. Lots of road construction.
4-Cincinnati. Dodgers (my team) over the Reds. Stayed across the river in Covington, Kentucky at the Holiday Inn so it is a walk over the bridge to Great American Ballpark. Wanted to stay at a Hyatt but it was booked.
5-Same. Dodgers over Reds.
6-Same. Dodgers over Reds. Took in some night life as it was a day game. Very hot and humid in Cincy the whole time..
7-Jackson Browne concert in Cincy. Top notch show in a new venue right next to the Ballpark.
8-Travel day: Cincinnati to Kansas City. Pretty decent drive.
9-KC. Athletics at Royals. Never been to Kaufman so that was nice. Day game so hit the road at about 4:30 PM for Denver. Long haul through all of Kansas (east to west) and half of Colorado. A few Avs fans partying in the streets after a Game Six win but really barely noticeable when I arrived at 2 AM at one of the Hyatts downtown. Did not plan the Avs part, just a coincidence. BTW, Pens fan.
10-Denver. Rockies over Dodgers. About a 15-minute walk to Coors from the hotel. Quick game (2:19). Dodgers were not in it after a tough series vs. Braves.
11-Same. Rockies over Dodgers.
12-Dodgers over Rockies. Avs brought the Cup to the game and paraded around the Stadium. Been to Denver 9-10 times so I know a few spots I like to go downtown which was fun.
13-This was supposed to be getaway day and starting to return home BUT got an email notification that Rick Springfield was playing Clear Lake, Iowa in a few days. So, I decided to go there instead of home as I'm a huge Springfield fan. Also, Avalanche parade has most of the streets around my hotel closed. Caught most of the parade from the hotel lobby. Anyway, Denver to Clear Lake, Iowa (where Valens-Big Bopper-Holly died) was a long but uneventful drive.
14-Springfield concert in Clear Lake. Just a great show!
15-Clear Lake to Minot. Not much to say except was driving in the middle of the most intense lightning storm I've ever been in for the last two hours.
16-Minot to Saskatoon.

Took along about 75 CD's and listened to almost everyone (zero radio or anything else). Great trip. Two great concerts and the Dodgers go 4-2. Right around 7500 km. Luckily gas was cheap. States visited were (North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska, South Dakota, Iowa). Nothing like listening to Springsteen's Nebraska in Nebraska in the dead of the nite. I think I'm going to title the trip the Starkweather Tour.

Thanks for reading.

My Best-Carey

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
-Minot to just outside of the Twin Cities. Liked getting through Minneapolis/St.Paul late at night and stayed in a Holiday Inn Express (hotel of choice for an in/out driving place) just into Wisconsin. Don't like to stay in a major city while driving. A little cheaper and don't have to fight morning traffic when hanging in the suburbs.
3-Wisconsin to Cincinnati. Kind of a hell day. Heavy traffic all day and held up in Chicago for a long time and again around Indy. Lots of road construction
As someone who lives in the Twin Cities, I find it utterly bizarre you chose to avoid the Twin Cities during the day, only to hit Chicago during the day.

As long as you avoid morning and afternoon rush hour in the Twin Cities, you're golden. The ONLY time to get through Chicago? Dead of night 2-3am... if it's daylight, you're getting delayed.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
As someone who lives in the Twin Cities, I find it utterly bizarre you chose to avoid the Twin Cities during the day, only to hit Chicago during the day.

As long as you avoid morning and afternoon rush hour in the Twin Cities, you're golden. The ONLY time to get through Chicago? Dead of night 2-3am... if it's daylight, you're getting delayed.
Me 'n' Mrs. JMC drove around the Twin Cities back in late May, but only because the direct route was shut down for construction. Reminded me of Chicago. I reckon Minnesota hired the head of the Illinois State Dept. of Transportation. :banghead:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Me 'n' Mrs. JMC drove around the Twin Cities back in late May, but only because the direct route was shut down for construction. Reminded me of Chicago. I reckon Minnesota hired the head of the Illinois State Dept. of Transportation. :banghead:
I take it you went through downtown instead of the 494/694 bypass through the burbs of the cities?

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere

Yeah, dumb move. I really should have cut down straight south around Madison and went through Rockford and south from there on the I-39 and avoided Chicago altogether in hindsight. Longer trip in miles but would have missed the Chicago Loop traffic. I actually tried but I was too GPS reliant and it kept sending me through Chicago. Live and learn I guess.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: TaLoN

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I take it you went through downtown instead of the 494/694 bypass through the burbs of the cities?
We took the eastern bypass route in rush hour traffic (and a brief hailstorm), and eventually got to Anoka with rental car windows & body panels intact. Like @frisco, I put my travel fate in navigation aid hands.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
We took the eastern bypass route in rush hour traffic (and a brief hailstorm), and eventually got to Anoka with rental car windows & body panels intact. Like @frisco, I put my travel fate in navigation aid hands.
Well... I did mention as long as you avoid morning and evening rush hour, you're golden... you did not, so you got what is to be expected.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021

Yup. Same deal with NYC.

Reactions: TaLoN

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I used to make a fair amount of drives between NY, NC, and FL...so anywhere from 650-1300k trips. I'm a bit of a robot so I only took some CDs and a maybe a few snacks, and would even sleep in the back seat sometimes instead of a room. Maybe I should have been a truck driver...

As for stories, one time at the junction of I-10 and 301 in FL I was stuck in a long line waiting for a signal to get on the I-10 ramp while a surly homeless dude was being way too aggressive with the cars in front of me. I don't like asses so I prepared a plan in case this guy had time to get up on me. Since I had a box of Twinkys (that I hate but somebody gave them to me), I opened one end and the line finally started moving. As I drove past I flung the Twinkys out at him and he snarled some kind of cursing since he was drunk or high. It was a better result than if he got up close on me though.

Long drives aren't bad if you can handle the drone and stay frosty. Of course being on top of car maintenance and having tools and supplies is a semi-necessity depending where you're going. These days you also need to prepare for safety issues...phone, charger, pepper spray or even a firearm if legal. I prefer to drive at night to avoid traffic or potential road rage scenarios. Best to get from A to B as fast as possible with no drama.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I did Philly to Myrtle Beach last year, actually a year ago this weekend. The rest of my family wanted to (and did) drive through the night, but I wasn’t a fan. I would’ve left at 4am but I didn’t trust myself to do 10 hours overnight (they were experienced), so I stopped overnight in Richmond, of which I barely slept anyways. Traffic, obviously in Maryland but didn’t expect it to be worse in Virginia (thank goodness for ez pass). So 5 hours turned into 7, I wanted to get there at 4 and made it at 6-6:30. Enough time to take a short walk to a decent restaurant. I had to stop twice to go to the bathroom, the second time was middle of nowhere Virginia and there was like 3 accidents on 95. I’d do it again but I would still try to leave at 4-4:30.

Coming home though, everyone decided to do it again, which not only sucks but cuts off the end of your vacation. I would’ve rather stayed and left at like 3pm or sonething and hopefully be home around 2, or leave at 9 the night before because what’s the point of leaving at midnight if you can get home any time you need to? But this time I went with them.

Managed to get 4 hours of sleep this time and left at 12:30, got home at 10:15. Only needed gas once each way, in fact I made it home from the middle of North Carolina (US 70) on gas, but before that I also had to detour because 95 was shut down because of an accident after about an hour of being on it, and had to detour through pitch black darkness. My charger is AWD, it surprised me that I didn’t need gas again, and it was a quarter tank when I filled. My brother had to stop in Maryland because he had like a 13-gallon mustang. I also stopped at the rest stop to get breakfast or I would’ve been home earlier.

Driving from Richmond to home obviously felt quicker, but it it’s a bitch to drive through North Carolina. It’s just so long but doesn’t look it on a map. I couldn’t believe I got home when I did since I didn’t get into Virginia until just after 5am.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Driving from Richmond to home obviously felt quicker, but it it’s a bitch to drive through North Carolina. It’s just so long but doesn’t look it on a map. I couldn’t believe I got home when I did since I didn’t get into Virginia until just after 5am.
This is actually how I feel about New Jersey. The state is a small kidney-bean-shaped thing but driving through it is nails on a goddamn chalkboard, and the (terrible) traffic is only part of the reason why. It just goes on and on and on, far more than you'd expect such a small state to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad