Softest team in league history

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I'm sure the Rangers would gladly trade us Tanner Glass.

And for the people whining about grit, I partly want this to happen if it weren't for the fact that I am also a fan of this team.

You are not that cruel, HOG!!!

:)

As for your definition, too many of the players you listed have too few of your "physical" characteristics. If they possess one or two of those attributes then they qualify as physical players? Seems exceptionally broad to me.

By that very forgiving standard, are there any soft teams in the NHL?

Exactly. I mean, mental toughness? Brian Gibbons and Chris Conner had plenty of that. In fact, you need to be ridiculously talented to reach the NHL without mental toughness.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Put actual names and deals out there... stop saying they have existed and ignored and then going back to vague/general ideas again which was the complaint to begin with...

Reaves, Peluso, Martin, Bordeleau are all good 4th liners that would be more valuable than any combination of Brian Rust, Brian Gibbons, Scott Wilson, Andrew Ebbett, or any other mite could ever be.

I'd rather have guys like Stewart, Downie, Kassain, etc than Kunitz, Dupuis, and Sutter.

Do I want ALL of those guys? No. But one or two would be nice.

And for the last time, until we see Sundqvist and Plotnikov play in an NHL game, it's impossible to say what kind of players they'll be.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Reaves, Peluso, Martin, Bordeleau are all good 4th liners that would be more valuable than any combination of Brian Rust, Brian Gibbons, Scott Wilson, Andrew Ebbett, or any other mite could ever be.

I'm sure everyone here would like these guys. They aren't available though, so it doesn't really matter.

I'd rather have guys like Stewart, Downie, Kassain, etc than Kunitz, Dupuis, and Sutter.

I will sit here and say we should get rid of the latter group all day, but not if it means replacing them with the former. The guys we have are simply better hockey players than the guys you listed.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
#Sidthekid #Bodybyobrien #nopillows #classact #breathe&relax #usethewhip #nhl #canada

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh

And for the last time, until we see Sundqvist and Plotnikov play in an NHL game, it's impossible to say what kind of players they'll be.

Congrats... make a realistic deal for a guy like Reaves or Martin... we had Downie... and you are talking about cap dumps for guys to move that everyone has spoken about for months...

You are a revolutionary genius and have added so much new value... i concede and accept that you could change the team if you only had power to do whatever it is you are actually proposing which no one will know since you never actually propose an actual move and just *****...

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

I agree. If you are building a team correctly, every player should bring at least one attribute that they excel in. This is the problem I see with the Pens. They have too many guys that don't excel in any area. They are just average at everything: average talent, average shot, average size, average speed.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Chris Kunitz for Dylan McIlrath still makes a ton of sense to me.

Kunitz is still a better hockey player and adds more to the team when used appropriately.

The last thing the Pens need is another bottom pairing/AHL defender unless they are getting rid of the ones they already have.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
I agree. If you are building a team correctly, every player should bring at least one attribute that they excel in. This is the problem I see with the Pens. They have too many guys that don't excel in any area. They are just average at everything: average talent, average shot, average size, average speed.

Those guys excel in something??? Ideally sure, in reality not so much. There's a reason they all move around for near nothing....

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
So I asked for ppl *****ing to give me realistic solutions, and the only one that makes sense is the one I've suggested since Feb, Steve Bernier.

The other suggestions are guys who aren't available, or lazy malcontents like Stewart and Kassian.

Again, it's easy to whine about something, but much more difficult to offer real solutions.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
So I asked for ppl *****ing to give me realistic solutions, and the only one that makes sense is the one I've suggested since Feb, Steve Bernier.

The other suggestions are guys who aren't available, or lazy malcontents like Stewart and Kassian.

Again, it's easy to whine about something, but much more difficult to offer real solutions.

Agreed Jiggy... same guys *****ing about nothing or random/unavailable names to make a "point". I don't disagree in principle but it's something we have to build internally over time. Just handpicking names from other teams that are either terrible or not available is a waste of time.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Kunitz is still a better hockey player and adds more to the team when used appropriately.

The last thing the Pens need is another bottom pairing/AHL defender unless they are getting rid of the ones they already have.

We save cap space, and we give Plotnikov, Perron and Bennett a spike up the winger hierarchy. Yeah Kunitz is better, but McIlRath's contract is way better.

I agree with you on the logjam, but this could create more trade opportunities (Lovejoy hopefully, maybe Dumoulin).

McIlrath sucks as a D. He should have been converted to wing years ago.

Perhaps. But even that would be something we could use.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

Bernier makes sense. Another guy who might be a decent fit (though not a huge body) is Jack Skille.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Bernier makes sense. Another guy who might be a decent fit (though not a huge body) is Jack Skille.

Bernier would be a great fit, but he isn't a fighter. Again, it's beyond rare to fight brawlers with any talent, let alone top six talent. He is a big body that will hit and works the boards pretty well. However, he isn't scaring anyone with his fists.

Skille is like throwing **** at the wall and hoping it sticks. Pens need to just focus on letting their young guys play on the fourth line and working their way up from there. No more wasting roster spots on retreads and untalented guys like Adams and Glass who bring a "physical presence".

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Bernier would be a great fit, but he isn't a fighter. Again, it's beyond rare to fight brawlers with any talent, let alone top six talent. He is a big body that will hit and works the boards pretty well. However, he isn't scaring anyone with his fists.

Skille is like throwing **** at the wall and hoping it sticks. Pens need to just focus on letting their young guys play on the fourth line and working their way up from there. No more wasting roster spots on retreads and untalented guys like Adams and Glass who bring a "physical presence".

Yeah but I think Skille may still have some untapped upside, but I understand your line of thinking as well.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
We save cap space, and we give Plotnikov, Perron and Bennett a spike up the winger hierarchy. Yeah Kunitz is better, but McIlRath's contract is way better.

I agree with you on the logjam, but this could create more trade opportunities (Lovejoy hopefully, maybe Dumoulin).

Perhaps. But even that would be something we could use.

If Bennett, Plotnikov, Sundqvist (who should be at C) can't outcompete Kunitz who is as washed up as you say then they don't deserve the spot in the line-up.

Dumoulin >>> McIlrath. No interest in losing a big, skilled, smooth-skating defenseman who has second pairing upside.

Cap space is nice but McIlrath isn't a good enough player.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Who is and isn't known to be available at this point is kind of moot.

First off, more people need to recognize that a lack of physicality may be an issue. Whatever loose definitions of "toughness" people want to employ, I don't see too many indications that we're anywhere but near the bottom of the league in that respect, and a lot is being expected of a couple guys who haven't even played NA hockey before.

knowing-is-half-the-battlejpg1425907458645.jpeg

Second, how many players this year have been available that we never would have guessed would have been available? Nobody here dreamt Saad or Hamilton would be changing zip codes this off-season, but it happened.

For instance, Bouma's having trouble re-signing in Calgary because he doesn't have a track record of production and his analytics aren't very good. Maybe the Flames are more willing to part with him than we believe. There are any number of possibilities out there.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If Bennett, Plotnikov, Sundqvist (who should be at C) can't outcompete Kunitz who is as washed up as you say then they don't deserve the spot in the line-up.

Yes because this franchise has absolutely NO history of veteran players getting preferential treatment over superior youth.

At least Bennett's a veteran at losing out to inferior vets, he can show the other two the ropes on how to react/behave.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Dumoulin >>> McIlrath. No interest in losing a big, skilled, smooth-skating defenseman who has second pairing upside.

Cap space is nice but McIlrath isn't a good enough player.

tumblr_lysvjbEIkN1qmzxy4o2_500.gif

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
who is and isn't known to be available at this point is kind of moot.

First off, more people need to recognize that a lack of physicality may be an issue. Whatever loose definitions of "toughness" people want to employ, i don't see too many indications that we're anywhere but near the bottom of the league in that respect, and a lot is being expected of a couple guys who haven't even played na hockey before.

knowing-is-half-the-battlejpg1425907458645.jpeg

second, how many players this year have been available that we never would have guessed would have been available? Nobody here dreamt saad or hamilton would be changing zip codes this off-season, but it happened.

For instance, bouma's having trouble re-signing in calgary because he doesn't have a track record of production and his analytics aren't very good. Maybe the flames are more willing to part with him than we believe. There are any number of possibilities out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad