Softest team in league history

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Last year was one of the softest teams I've ever seen in 30+ years of watching hockey and that was after watching Sid get [abused] in the playoffs 2 years ago. I still have visions of Rinaldo punking the entire bench, Letang launched into the boards head first, etc.

So, we rid ourselves of Despres, Borts, Downie, Lapierre, Sill, etc, and now don't have any, not 1 single hint of toughness or physicality.

Yes, I will enjoy watching this team score highlight-reel goals this year. But that will quickly be offset by watching teams physically humiliate and injure us, again. Thanks Mario and JR.

Last edited by a moderator:

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
:laugh: What the hell does Mario have to do with this?

Also... What about Plotnikov & Farnham + maybe more before the season starts. Your post was soffffff.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
So, we rid ourselves of Despres, Borts, Downie, Lapierre, Sill, etc,

Also... Després = good, Borts = meh, Downie = refs curse magnet on the team, Lappy = meh, can't score anymore & his agitation power has faded away, Sill = teh suk, etc. = who?

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Doesn't matter how physical you are (Anaheim) or how soft you are (Chicago) - it matters how you play the game.

Anaheim vs. Chicago was the exact case in point to this discussion. Anaheim came out and bruised up Chicago's defense in the first couple games. Chicago was playing with basically 4 defenders. Chicago kept at their identity and didn't try to match the hitting of Anaheim. They just played tenacious and fast. That's how they win games. They ended up winning the series and Anaheim looked beyond tired at the end of the series from skating around w/ Chicago.

It's all about how you play. Find the identity that works for your team, and stick to it. The Pens are so infatuated with doing everything that they have no identity.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Doesn't matter how physical you are (Anaheim) or how soft you are (Chicago) - it matters how you play the game.

Anaheim vs. Chicago was the exact case in point to this discussion. Anaheim came out and bruised up Chicago's defense in the first couple games. Chicago was playing with basically 4 defenders. Chicago kept at their identity and didn't try to match the hitting of Anaheim. They just played tenacious and fast. That's how they win games. They ended up winning the series and Anaheim looked beyond tired at the end of the series from skating around w/ Chicago.

It's all about how you play. Find the identity that works for your team, and stick to it. The Pens are so infatuated with doing everything that they have no identity.

2 more strikes against the Pens...

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Preach! If Pens new identity is to be fast, skilled and possession based then they need to stick with that even when the Flyers start trying to get under their skin.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I have to admit I would have been way more upset about the makeup and composition of our team last year. I guess landing Phil the Thrill Kessel does that. :)

I've always been a grinder-enforcer fan for the fourth line, but I have to admit I'm really curious about this plan of going with four lines of offense. I love it, to be truthful. I totally agree with Cole about the need to create an identity. And at the very least we are creating an identity that is right in the wheelhouse of our top talent. FINALLY!

Now, I also agree with Terrapin that this new philosophy can come with a price. But at least we may be able to win a lot of games early because of offense, and then take our medicine physically. Last season was a disaster on many levels, but especially because we became an extremely mediocre OFFENSIVE team. We had been used to getting shut down in the playoffs, but last season the shutdown came way sooner.

I LOVE the direction we're heading in, despite our lack of future assets. I much prefer this plan than whatever the hell Shero/Bylsma had up their sleeves. Rutherford hasn't completely won me over, and I still don't like the coach, but I do like this new direction.

Now, if we could land ONE specific role player, a big defenseman who hits and can clear the crease area and maybe even keep a few opponents honest, then we'd be pretty close to getting to where we wanna go imo.

A player like Rangers prospect Dylan McIlrath would be ideal, imo. Huge, right-handed shot, third-pairing guy, could be a nice partner for Pouliot, etc. Montreal's Jarred Tinordi is another target, though he's left-handed and not nearly AS tough as McIlrath.

I'm also starting to like the idea of adding a guy like Steve Bernier for Line 4. Scottie Upshall would be another possibility. Basically looking for someone who can play with a scorer if we have one on the fourth line, but who can also bring some grit to the team.

Also, I firmly believe Bobby Farnham NEEDS to be on this team now. Not because he can be our enforcer, but because he can get us more PP opportunities. That HAS to be the equalizer because we are going to see so much physicality this season, reminiscent of the days of Mario, Jags, Francis, Coffey...and then later on the five-forward power play days (Lemieux, Jagr, Kovalev, Lang, Straka).

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Play to your strong suit and don't try to be a team that you aren't. That's why we're terrible against the Flyers, we play their game instead of ours. The myth that you need to have a physical team in the modern NHL is way overblown.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Play to your strong suit and don't try to be a team that you aren't. That's why we're terrible against the Flyers, we play their game instead of ours. The myth that you need to have a physical team in the modern NHL is way overblown.

Yep, physical team can definitely work but we're not built like that so trying to play that way would be counter productive. Even if we brought in a few big 4th liners we're still not a team to be afraid of, but our PP will hopefully be something teams are definitely afraid of.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
It's really not guys like Downie and Lapierre that make a big difference, those guys are more agitators then fighters / though guys. We don't need those type of players, come playoff time you need guys to play hard, you're not going to scare any team physically.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
A heavyweight team like the Kings are now finding it hard to get to PO. What is grinding down an opponent any good for if you're not playing a 4 out of 7?

Also, goons are going down the drain & the trend is on mobility, not physicality.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
A heavyweight team like the Kings are now finding it hard to get to PO. What is grinding down an opponent any good for if you're not playing a 4 out of 7?

Also, goons are going down the drain & the trend is on mobility, not physicality.

And don't forget the bruins, look at what they're doing, getting rid of slower and bigger players for more skilled players.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Despres is the only big guy we're going to wish we still had around from that group. Bortuzzo is fine too, but I'd do that Cole trade again every time.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Had we traded Despres for Cole, and kept Bortuzzo, I think most would agree the Despres trade would feel a LOT less painful.

We're a Bortuzzo-type away from having a very nice blueline imo.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I agree we're soft but that's not to say we can't be tough to play against. We're not the big bad Bruins or the Broad Street Bullies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Before we put the final nail in the coffin of physical hockey, let's all remember that the Kings are one year removed from a Stanley Cup. And that they've won two of the last four. And that the Bruins have also won the Cup in the last five seasons.

Again, just as Cole said, it's about finding your own identity and sticking to the plan...without too much deviation.

IMO, the Bruins are going to suffer a bit largely because they might be in the process of losing their identity. Lucic was a huge part of who they were and how they played. Can't even quantify what his departure means.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Lucic was turning more and more into a dog each passing year after they won the cup. Semin-levels of effort last season. He had one year left on his contract, why wouldn't you move him for that return? He won't be missed that much, not for the one season he had left in a Bruins jersey anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad