Sofa GMs: Which UFAs are you aiming for?

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Imagine the FA frenzy with crosstown rivals Coyotes and Flames going at it hammer and tongs for the best players available. Totonto will be left crying into their Tim's coffee.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Since we are going to suck I'd prefer sign as many UFAs as possible that can be flipped at the trade deadline. Sign them to one year deals and tell them the plan. They play good they get shipped off to a playoff team. All first 3 round picks belong to us.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Three more copies of Travis Boyd. Kadri, Manson, McNabb. Tough guys who compete and are a pain to play against. 1 or 2 year deals.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I checked it out after posting. No one jumps off the page for my original thought but I wonder if guys like Kadri and Strome(NY) might be worth a pitch at elevated salary on the slim chance they make it to UFA?

Hertl, Hampus Lindholm, Copp and Burakovsky are my top four. If we could get either Hertl or Lindholm I'd be thrilled.
As usual, most the good ones will get signed with their current club, but I like Dubois. This kind of player is probably a bit early in our rebuild to target, but he is young, big and a C. Would rather wait for AM, but I don't think he will ever come here in his prime.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
As usual, most the good ones will get signed with their current club, but I like Dubois. This kind of player is probably a bit early in our rebuild to target, but he is young, big and a C. Would rather wait for AM, but I don't think he will ever come here in his prime.
I think Dubois made it quite clear that he was not interested in a non traditional hockey market. I guess that could have changed?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Dubois is RFA, not UFA.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm not really a Domi guy or a Kadri guy, but I could see both being Armstrong types.

Is Domi considered a center or wing these days?

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I think the plan has to be to tank. Cant improve too much and miss the opportunity on one of the 3 franchise potential players in 2022. It will be hard enough to be worse than Seattle.

Would not mind some toughness on the back end to support young guys like Soderstrom and Moser (and hopefully Chychrun). One of the tough guys like Chairot, Manson, Zadorov, or McNabb would be welcome.

Assuming Larsson and Boyd are traded for picks by deadline day, a veteran C is a need.

Also, Vanacek in goal.

Vanecek would be a steal. He's an RFA but the Caps have no cap space, I have to think if we offer him something like $3m / 3-4 years the caps wouldn't match and we'd have a 1A / 1B type depending if Wedgie is for real. VV would still only be 26 which is not too old for a goalie.

Other than that... I mean we will still have to be bad so imo we don't need any good UFAs like Hertl or Kadri. Some warm bodies who other teams give up on / get cap squeezed out, players like Travis Boyd etc. We'll be bad for another year or two after this one but as long as we keep playing hard / entertaining hockey (whoever is on our team) I'm good with that

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Instead of UFA’s we should be looking at guys on short term deals that are being overpaid that we can acquire along with picks.

I definitely think BA has more Ghost/Stralman/Ladd type trades coming this summer.

Reactions: Mosby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad