Sofa GMs: Which UFAs are you aiming for?

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
Ok, the yotes will after this season be the closest to a blank sheet of paper that I have ever seen a franchise being (expansions excluded).

So, which UFAs would you go for if you want to build a team? When to aim to reach the playoffs?

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
My philosophy is to turn a rebuild around asap. It bothers me that teams languish for 10 years. With that in mind, I have a number of players I have interest in. Hertl and Copp are top of that list as they can play a solid 2 way game and are strong at center and wing.

Maccelli - Hertl - Jenik
Copp - Wright - Guenther
Crouse - Hayton - Keller
McCartney - Schmaltz - Fisher

Just those 2 gives us a ton of quality and we have the money/cap to pay them. That's also only 5 rookie forwards.:laugh:

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
My philosophy is to turn a rebuild around asap. It bothers me that teams languish for 10 years. With that in mind, I have a number of players I have interest in. Hertl and Copp are top of that list as they can play a solid 2 way game and are strong at center and wing.

Maccelli - Hertl - Jenik
Copp - Wright - Guenther
Crouse - Hayton - Keller
McCartney - Schmaltz - Fisher

Just those 2 gives us a ton of quality and we have the money/cap to pay them. That's also only 5 rookie forwards.:laugh:

I would go for that...but we know the team isn't going to, so we have to show a little patience, because the prize this year is going to be solid, but next years prize (Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli) is going to be special...we just have to again be at the bottom and we're guaranteed to get 1 of those 3.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I would go for that...but we know the team isn't going to, so we have to show a little patience, because the prize this year is going to be solid, but next years prize (Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli) is going to be special...we just have to again be at the bottom and we're guaranteed to get 1 of those 3.
Shh shh shhhhh... I'm dreaming here lol, no room for logic!

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
This.

Next season is the prize. Gotta suck for one more year unfortunately.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Short-term deals preferably. Don't lock into anything regrettable.

This is a must...but BA needs to identify who our goalie starter is going to be, as Prosvetov hasn't proven anything at the NHL level yet, and Wedgewood and Veggie aren't world beaters, so I'm hoping he IDs our goalie of the future and trades for one next season who isn't going to be playing next year, but has better credentials than our current crew.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Go for guys who have been solid in the past, but maybe have been less sharp of late. The kind of player who needs an opportunity to turn it around. We have a number of those this season and I think they've contributed as good examples for the younger players while not being abysmal defensively in a way you see when the young guys are asked to fill in and are just outright missing assignments left and right. Secondly, these guys know if they do excel, they can shipped off at the deadline to a contender as a depth piece. The short term contract they're on isn't deadweight and they should be able to stay motivated long enough.

It's like no cost to the Coyotes as well as they get to offer proper development time to who really needs and shelter guys appropriately.

Lastly, I think we're going to run a similar goaltending tandem next season with the aim being to not steal games, but not get blown out by every single small defensive mistake turning into a goal. I think you can slow our improvement down by shoddy goaltending that'll keep up lower in the standings, granting another great top pick. Then you expect Prosvetov to be ready and maybe Vejmelka has solidified into a 1B kind of goalie and we're ready to jump up the standings because we've patched up an obviously huge contributor to why the team was a cellar dweller.

I don't entirely rule out nabbing some one in UFA who fits into the long-term plans, but honestly it's hard to determine team direction enough at this point.

Reactions: Sinurgy

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’d be willing to overpay (fairly significantly) on shorter term (3-4 years) deals on Nichushkin, Copp and Domi. I would also be interested in Barabanov and Zadorov on shorter, more reasonable deals.

I don’t expect to appeal very much to the Russian players and I think Nichushkin is going to be VERY popular on Free Agent Day.

So I might focus in on Copp and Domi. I really wouldn’t be against paying both significantly more than their next best offer. Especially if we keep it at 4 years for Copp and 3 years for Domi.

I really like the approach of Copp and Domi on the ice. I appreciate the motor of Copp and the swagger of Domi. I think both are good for the culture. They would make us harder to play against.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I’d love to have Domi back, but suck at the same time and hit the bedard sweepstakes.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Proven centers overpaid for 1 year that can be traded at deadline if desired. Just protect the kids and let them grow.

Reactions: Heldig

Knights2017

Deactivated Coyotes Fan
Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
A temporary sheet of ice for next season and beyond and a Tempe arena deal. How are we even talking about UFAs?? Who the hell cares?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
We're going to need some players to fill out our roster. So we can either

a) sign top UFAs by beating the best offer
b) dumpster dive like we did last summer
c) take on cap dumps to get more picks like we did last summer

Because of budget realities and the cap system we're either doing b) and c) together again for one more year or we're gonna make an honest effort and do a) instead.

I hope it's a). Seems like you all expect b) and c).

Reactions: YotesFan47

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I suspect we'll be taking on guys for picks by targeting teams with cap issues. But guys who are still effective, not guys like Loui Eriksson who are basically Weekend at Bernie's.

UFA recruitment will be an issue unless we drastically overpay and it seems ownership is keeping the budget down until there is reason to spend.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We're going to need some players to fill out our roster. So we can either

a) sign top UFAs by beating the best offer
b) dumpster dive like we did last summer
c) take on cap dumps to get more picks like we did last summer

Because of budget realities and the cap system we're either doing b) and c) together again for one more year or we're gonna make an honest effort and do a) instead.

I hope it's a). Seems like you all expect b) and c).
It's going to be b and c. We are losing a ton of money and covid made it even worse. No way we sign top UFA's next year, probably not for a few years.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Hertl, Hampus Lindholm, Copp and Burakovsky are my top four. If we could get either Hertl or Lindholm I'd be thrilled.

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think the plan has to be to tank. Cant improve too much and miss the opportunity on one of the 3 franchise potential players in 2022. It will be hard enough to be worse than Seattle.

Would not mind some toughness on the back end to support young guys like Soderstrom and Moser (and hopefully Chychrun). One of the tough guys like Chairot, Manson, Zadorov, or McNabb would be welcome.

Assuming Larsson and Boyd are traded for picks by deadline day, a veteran C is a need.

Also, Vanacek in goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad