Soderberg at Right Wing Spooner At Center??

Taz#24

Feb 27, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
What do we have to lose?

Jones scored 9 goals last year, 3 the year before. Not the guy you want on your 1st line

JONES has a history of injuries but he can score and plays a Bruin style game when healthy, plus he shoots right something we desperately need IMHO. We are essentially trading SAVARD’s dead cap space for a player who might help while creating more valuable cap space to re-sign SMITH and KRUG to boot. SAVARD’s on the books for this season plus two more, that cap hit pays JONES for this season and next, then it’s gone. No need for LTIR anymore. I see nothing but positive even if JONES isn’t a first line guy, you move ERIKSSON up as planned and have JONES play with SODERBERG. For those who don’t believe we need a guy like MCGRATTAN, you’re fooling yourselves. Other teams will focus on goading LUCIC every time and he’s too valuable to be playing the enforcer role. MCQAUID and MILLER can both go but you don’t want one of six D in the box too often, plus MCQAUID’s concussion history is a concern.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Considering everything I read in this tread here's what I got,

Lucic/Krecji/Erikkson
Marchand/Bergy/Smith
Gagne-Kelly-Lieno/Soda/Pastarnak-Caron-Koko
Paille/Spooner/Caron-Soupy-Fraser-Koko

I know many here will disagree but I think Erikkson deserves a chance to prove himself on the 1ST line . Loui has to sink or swim, I'll give him a Mulligan for last year but this year we need results.

The second line needs no tweeking, it seemed to work last year.

On the 3rd line, Soda earned his Center spot, he needs to stay there,the question is who plays the wings? On the left wing,Gagne is my first choice if he has any game left,then Kelly , he didnt look bad there with Soda last year.Lieno, I just don't know what to think.
On the right wing ,I'm really hoping Pasty is the real deal,if not my next choice is Caron,maybe the 3rd line is where he belongs, That would be a hand full of a 3rd line to deal with.If that doesn't work out, lets give Koko a shot on the wing.

To me it's Paille and Spooner set in stone on the 4th line, with Koko waiting in the wing for the Center Position. Any one of Caron,Soupy,Fraser or Koko would complement this line.

Caron might find his niche here, with easier opposition and speed at both LW and Center it just may be what the doctor ordered.

Soupy woud bring the experience the others just dont have.

With the speed of Paille and Spooner it may give Fraser the time he needs to excel.

Koko could make this 4th line overwhelming by adding to the speed.

I agree with you that Soda needs to stay as the 3rd line center.

The problem with having Paille, Spooner, and Soup/Koko on the 4th line is that all those guys are left handed. I like that line in theory because they'll have alot of speed and skill, especially when you consider that they are a 4th line, but can they bring defensively what we've seen in the past?

Another option could be Kelly and Campbell on the 3rd line with Soda, but that to me is just not enough offensive skill on the wings, especially paired with a solid center in Soderberg. I'm not sure what Pastarnak is the answer just yet. But I guess we'll see what he can do in camp.

The thing I'd prefer not to see is changing players and lines in the bottom 6 every game. I hope they make a decision, and let it play out. That was the thing about last year's team. If everyone was healthy, you knew where they were playing.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I agree with you that Soda needs to stay as the 3rd line center.

The problem with having Paille, Spooner, and Soup/Koko on the 4th line is that all those guys are left handed. I like that line in theory because they'll have alot of speed and skill, especially when you consider that they are a 4th line, but can they bring defensively what we've seen in the past?

Another option could be Kelly and Campbell on the 3rd line with Soda, but that to me is just not enough offensive skill on the wings, especially paired with a solid center in Soderberg. I'm not sure what Pastarnak is the answer just yet. But I guess we'll see what he can do in camp.

The thing I'd prefer not to see is changing players and lines in the bottom 6 every game. I hope they make a decision, and let it play out. That was the thing about last year's team. If everyone was healthy, you knew where they were playing.[/QUOTE]

I'd hate to see that too,hopefully it get's settled quickly,but it a real possibility that we see at least some of that.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Soderberg did play very well on the RW wing for the 2nd unit PP, but I think his home is at center during 5v5.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
I'd rather see Soderberg keep his center position and put Spooner as the fourth line center. Trade Campbell and let the fastest RW prospect take that spot next to him.

Honestly, wouldn't mind a fourth line of Paille - Spooner - Robins/Knight.

If you wanted Soderberg on the first line, I would rather see Lucic - Soderberg - Krejci. I actually think Krejci on the RW would be a great fit.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Soderberg is the third line center- its his best position; we saw it, he said it so what is the problem:laugh:

As McMarshmont said he'd never resign here

Spooner can audition for the fourth line center and if he plays as well as I think he can, the Bruins can decide how to proceed with Kelly and Campbell who are both best at center

If Dom says they can sign Soderberg I'm good here- hopefully like Krejci getting 6 instead of 8 years, Soderberg takes 4 instead of 6.

Other than Spooner and Koko there are no centers in the org that are relatively close

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Soderberg is the third line center- its his best position; we saw it, he said it so what is the problem:laugh:

As McMarshmont said he'd never resign here

Spooner can audition for the fourth line center and if he plays as well as I think he can, the Bruins can decide how to proceed with Kelly and Campbell who are both best at center

If Dom says they can sign Soderberg I'm good here- hopefully like Krejci getting 6 instead of 8 years, Soderberg takes 4 instead of 6.

Other than Spooner and Koko there are no centers in the org that are relatively close

Those are two big potential players though...

Do you see it as a possibility the Bruins go 4 deep long-term down the center? Krejci-Bergy-Soderberg-Spooner/Koko? It would mean likely spending a great deal down center ice, but having a lot of options and great potential for four gifted lines.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Those are two big potential players though...

Do you see it as a possibility the Bruins go 4 deep long-term down the center? Krejci-Bergy-Soderberg-Spooner/Koko? It would mean likely spending a great deal down center ice, but having a lot of options and great potential for four gifted lines.

This is the way I see it going and feel good about it (being correct)

Chiarelli center objective

Chiarelli plan WAS/IS to sign Krejci to a long term deal but he was looking to accomplish three things in that deal and he did. 1) long term but as far away from 8 as he could get- and he did, 6 was a win, 4 or 5 would have been better but he should be satisified; 2) the money- the majority figured $7 ish somewhere; and of course the less the better for signing others but most of us were a lot closer to 'your getting hot' than 'you are cold'; and 3) not go NMC on all the years, and there is some flexibility after the 4th which is a win.

Chiarelli second move is to lock up Soderberg. They didn't wait, and wait, and wait, and watch, and invest hours and hours in this guy to see him walk away Rene after this year. He's come along way in a year, and he's a pretty good player. At worst he's shown he's a good player and a very good third line center.

I am strong in my conviction Soderberg is trending up and will be better, and is a center not a wing. I would game plan him for 4 to 5 years at hopefully $4-5 mil.

I think it gets done. The NMC would have to be in this since he does not like change and he reminds me of a dog that has to have trust built in and is loyal.

The fourth line to Chiarelli is fluid- IT WILL PLAY OUT over the next month

there are four names to watch and two will at least be here and one will be center

KELLY
CAMPBELL
SPOONER
KHOKHLACHEV

Koko will have to make water turn into wine to stay- because he is 21 this week and they can send him down to get some more experience working with Pandolfo (clearly Koko will be a big part of his duties) and only has a damn good Spooner infront of him from being a Boston Bruins sooner rather than later.

Oct 8th- back in Providence and not happy about it (but if he is going to get serious coaching about playing forward, and they can help him learn the wing form a very good fundamental player in Pandolfo, I not only think its a good move I endorse it- Koko is still a green banana)

Spooner is going to get a lot of play in camp and a few things can happen but sending him down is probably my third choice behind making Boston, being traded, or going back. Sending him back would not be the worst thing with Sweeney and Pandolfo apparently going to be hands on- and Ryan is only a hypnotic suggestion of 'shoot the ****ing puck more' and some good defensive coverage fundamentals from an NHL career. I expect him to light it up in the preseason.

Oct 8th- fourth line center

Kelly has the contract most Bruins cap watchers want gone, and the NMC that has him limited to 8 destinations only. He can play wing and center, does a lot of the grunt work to keep Krejci's 20 minutes split between 5 on 5 and PP which is great.

He's a bottom 6, but is a leader, provides stability, and all things both Peter and Claude are said to like the intangibles he brings besides the penalty killing and defensive presence.

Oct 8th- on the roster likely at LW

Campbell is on the final year of a contract and certainly seems like his last year in Boston. Came back a bit slow from his broken leg, but from all accounts looks to be in spectacular shape and highly motivated.

Oct 8th- traded to a Western Conference team for a draft pick

MMB, next year the way I see it shake out is

Krejci
Bergeron
Soderberg
and either Spooner or Koko (if its Koko, Spooner will be dealt, if its Spooner, Koko could be the extra guy and getting some serious education on the wing position from Pandolfo)

Campbell will be gone and possibly Kelly- it comes down do they do that a year early with Campbell, who is still a very good fourth liner and team player, and would they or could they move Kelly. Even without a NMC I bet its no slam dunk Chiarelli would move him ahead of Campbell/Bartkowski and save a little bit there.

rainone99

Dec 21, 2010
Montreal
When i wrote the post I knew Soderberg had issues playing wing but I think there is a big difference in playing RW with Krejci and Lucic than playing 3rd Line with Kelly and Fraser??...I'm not so sure Soderberg wouldn't mind trying it out for a few weeks. I also think he would do very well.. If Eriksson stays on the 3rd line then I see him staying there but if it's Kelly and some young providence guy then I think he wouldn't mind playing on the Big Line.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
This is the way I see it going and feel good about it (being correct)

Nice work, Dan. Stuff like this helps clarify my own thoughts and alone makes it worth coming to the site. Let alone everyone else.

The eight team list seems like a new development to me? It wasn't known by this circle all along, was it? Seems like it would have made these conversations a lot easier if we were just picking teams and not arguing over the possibility of a trade at all.

I'd be willing to bet that if Kelly is traded, it won't be at full salary and would likely afford the B's around the same cap relief as Campbell. I think it's probably between the two and not either/or and if that's the case, it's probably Soupy.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Nice work, Dan. Stuff like this helps clarify my own thoughts and alone makes it worth coming to the site. Let alone everyone else.

The eight team list seems like a new development to me? It wasn't known by this circle all along, was it? Seems like it would have made these conversations a lot easier if we were just picking teams and not arguing over the possibility of a trade at all.

I'd be willing to bet that if Kelly is traded, it won't be at full salary and would likely afford the B's around the same cap relief as Campbell. I think it's probably between the two and not either/or and if that's the case, it's probably Soupy.

Dom is playing chess with this stuff I'm not even playing checkers- I've got colored chalk in the driveway playing hop scotch.

Chiarelli is probably checking out the landscape and certainly will watch and evaluate and gather info in camp

if Gagne comes in and looks even close to what he was- and the tumor thing had to be scared **** less time, and he's only 34 opening night in a less physical league than 5 years ago, so he could throw a wrench into all our lists

I'm concerned now that one of our best and brightest posters has told us Eriksson is going to be hurt this year- the same guy who played the most games over a 5 year run from 2008-2013 in the league. He hasn't told us how many games Loui is out but once I get that we can figure out the lineups and who may make it. He's very smart. I know that because he told me three times in his thread about it.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Dom is playing chess with this stuff I'm not even playing checkers- I've got colored chalk in the driveway playing hop scotch.

Chiarelli is probably checking out the landscape and certainly will watch and evaluate and gather info in camp

if Gagne comes in and looks even close to what he was- and the tumor thing had to be scared **** less time, and he's only 34 opening night in a less physical league than 5 years ago, so he could throw a wrench into all our lists

I'm concerned now that one of our best and brightest posters has told us Eriksson is going to be hurt this year- the same guy who played the most games over a 5 year run from 2008-2013 in the league. He hasn't told us how many games Loui is out but once I get that we can figure out the lineups and who may make it. He's very smart. I know that because he told me three times in his thread about it.

I will be shocked if Gagne isn't on the opening day roster. The front office has been rumored to be after him for a few years. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Alfie brought in. I will be surprised if a rookie on this team is playing in the top 9 on Oct 1st.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I will be shocked if Gagne isn't on the opening day roster. The front office has been rumored to be after him for a few years. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Alfie brought in. I will be surprised if a rookie on this team is playing in the top 9 on Oct 1st.

Alfie has apparently said it's DET or nothing.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I talked, Dan listened and made notes. Every once in a while I'd hear an ohhh, but Dan doesn't talk much. Although you'd figure he would with his 15 paragraph posts and all

Classic, I have a day off today, so if anyone wishes to contact/call me and hear awkward pauses, PM me and I`ll forward my digits:handclap:

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
I talked, Dan listened and made notes. Every once in a while I'd hear an ohhh, but Dan doesn't talk much. Although you'd figure he would with his 15 paragraph posts and all

:laugh:

That's what I love and also what frustrates the hell out of me about Dan's posts. My brain hurts by the time I'm through but he just lays it all out there for you. You know there is good hockey insight in every one of his posts...its just sometimes like trying to put together a puzzle.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Classic, I have a day off today, so if anyone wishes to contact/call me and hear awkward pauses, PM me and I`ll forward my digits:handclap:

I can just see it Andrew

All the ladies here PM you for your number, they call and Mrs ODAAT answers each time. Getting angrier and angrier with each call. Bet you didn't think she could get angrier at you until now :D

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
:laugh:

That's what I love and also what frustrates the hell out of me about Dan's posts. My brain hurts by the time I'm through but he just lays it all out there for you. You know there is good hockey insight in every one of his posts...its just sometimes like trying to put together a puzzle.

Dan's puzzles? I think that's the one thing I beat him on is puzzles. I think mine are classic :laugh:

Like this one

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tqpk90c8Vo8GcVbifTr2rzIG_yb_SnD830BGnEi96nY/edit#gid=0

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I can just see it Andrew

All the ladies here PM you for your number, they call and Mrs ODAAT answers each time. Getting angrier and angrier with each call. Bet you didn't think she could get angrier at you until now :D

Thanks for the warning Dom, on second thoughts, ladies, as appealing as you may think the idea of contacting me personally via PM and phone, please refrain, for I have a wife who has a mean streak worse than Bobby Knight:amazed:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad