Post-Game Talk: +/- Sock Monkeys versus Little Sisters of the Poor Edition

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
If we can do the same type of performance against Boston, then I'd be impressed but I'm predicting a loss in that one.

Yeah I'm hoping for the best, they at least got by Montreal despite a poor showing but playing Boston will be adding a whole new level of physicality they probably have only seen with the Flyers. Last night's game was an example of Crosby and his line going into beast mode but it also showed the lack of depth in the bottom 6.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I saw him stick handle in traffic a few times so far. But for sure, he's using his smarts to adjust to NHL speed for now. If he can start to beat defenders, we have a sick talent on our hands.

I think when he starts really dangling, you'll see what I mean. Could be soon, could be next year.

Hope he can stay healthy, that's one of the few hurdles left for him.

Ya, I'm not too worried about him being legit, but more so the ability to stay healthy. He plays a physical game and I'm still trying to figure out where the soft label ever came from.

Someone in this thread said he needs to bulk up and he was being knocked off the puck too easily... I was trying not to laugh... Dude is 6'1 and hovering around 200 lbs... Giroux is like 175 soaking wet.

Seriously, where do people come up with this ****?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
For anyone watching the Roots broadcast last night...

Did Steigy mention that Glass should be "rested" or did I just hear what I wanted to? My daughter was playing with Hip Hop Mickey and I mostly heard "I'm so cool (Glass) my ice cream (should rest) doesn't melt"

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Letang's pass off the glass to Neal for the breakaway blew my mind. Ditto for the backhand Beau attempted to Neal which almost found its way through.

That backhand pass was ridiculous and lucky for the defender it didn't get through. He barely got his stick on it.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Someone in this thread said he needs to bulk up and he was being knocked off the puck too easily... I was trying not to laugh... Dude is 6'1 and hovering around 200 lbs... Giroux is like 175 soaking wet.

Seriously, where do people come up with this ****?

I would be surprised if he was over 190 lbs right now. He looks very thin. Didn't he get sick and lose a significant amount of weight this season in the AHL? Either way, he is still getting pushed around and taking checks quite hard. I applaud his efforts for going into the tough areas for puck battles, but he needs some more bulk for his body to be able to absorb that punishment in the long-term.

Not that he necessarily needs it, but he is very far away from having the kind of strength/toughness that Giroux has (indpendent of weight or d-bag index).

Fire Shero*

I would be surprised if he was over 190 lbs right now. He looks very thin. Didn't he get sick and lose a significant amount of weight this season in the AHL? Either way, he is still getting pushed around and taking checks quite hard. I applaud his efforts for going into the tough areas for puck battles, but he needs some more bulk for his body to be able to absorb that punishment in the long-term.

Not that he necessarily needs it, but he is very far away from having the kind of strength/toughness that Giroux has (indpendent of weight or d-bag index).

This. He did get out muscled quite a bit last night. He's young and that's expected. But I don't care what he's listed at, he needs to get stronger and that will happen over time. Some people just overlook any of his flaws.

It's pretty crazy he didn't register a single point last night when they scored 6 goals and he's on the second line and played on the power play.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Kind of nitpicky but did anyone think Vokouns goal was fundamentally bad? Kind of hockey 101 for the 2 on 1, the goaltender challenges the puck carrier while the defender covers the pass as best as he can. Instead Vokoun just stood there deep in net letting in an easy goal from a shooting perspective. Not really what you would expect from a veteran goalie.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
Bennett needs a summer or two with Scary Gary for sure. He needs a little more of everything - weight, strength and power - but right now he has a great base to build on.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Kind of nitpicky but did anyone think Vokouns goal was fundamentally bad? Kind of hockey 101 for the 2 on 1, the goaltender challenges the puck carrier while the defender covers the pass as best as he can. Instead Vokoun just stood there deep in net letting in an easy goal from a shooting perspective. Not really what you would expect from a veteran goalie.

I wrote he didn't look good... but it wasn't awful either. His glove was very shaky and he was too far in his net on that 2 on 1. But somehow he made some key saves and we won. I don't know if it was luck or not.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
I wrote he didn't look good... but it wasn't awful either. His glove was very shaky and he was too far in his net on that 2 on 1. But somehow he made some key saves and we won. I don't know if it was luck or not.

Yeah not a lot of sustained pressure on him so that sometimes throws goalies off guess.

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
If BB is 200lbs its all legs, his uppers are wirey.

I think he just needs seasoning. A hulking body is great for some players, but it doesn't look like BB plays a lumbering game. He looks slick, deceptive, but knows how to use his body to shield and throw a hit.

Think of old colby armstrong. Could hit real hard, pretty lanky overall.

The strength and weight will come with time. I just hope he sticks to his game.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

He said in an interview before camp he was around 200, so unless he dropped 10 lbs during his layoff, I'm sure he is floating near that number. I can list off tons of guys his height who play at that weight and do just fine.

If you are referring to the times he got knocked down, literally, that happens to all players, even Crosby. I'm talking about his ability to win puck battles, protect the puck and keep his leverage along the boards. He is definitely not getting pushed around and is winning a ton of 50/50 puck battles in both ends.

I think people need to look at how Kadri was being abused along the boards his rookie year, to understand what getting pushed around truly means.

BB is not being pushed around.

Strength and bulk are not the same thing, hence the reason I used Giroux as an example. BB needs to keep getting stronger, but he doesn't need to add more bulk, it will more than likely slow him down.

He needs to work on his first step and his strength, but that is basically what I felt needed improvement to begin with.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I thought Vokoun looked real shaky. Seemed like he had tons of trouble tracking pucks behind the net. Thought a couple of times they were going to get a goal on those plays.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I thought Vokoun looked real shaky. Seemed like he had tons of trouble tracking pucks behind the net. Thought a couple of times they were going to get a goal on those plays.

I agree. I normally harp on Fleury when we get a win but he looks shaky so it's only fair to say the same about Vokoun. It's weird because early on in the season he was so solid and tracking pucks really well. He didn't overplay things and made the game look easy. Now he seems to be off his angle, chasing saves, and just doesn't look comfortable.

BreakfastatMarios

Feb 5, 2013
Pittsburgh
If BB is 200lbs its all legs, his uppers are wirey.

I think he just needs seasoning. A hulking body is great for some players, but it doesn't look like BB plays a lumbering game. He looks slick, deceptive, but knows how to use his body to shield and throw a hit.

Think of old colby armstrong. Could hit real hard, pretty lanky overall.

The strength and weight will come with time. I just hope he sticks to his game.

Him and Bortuzo would be excellent canidates for some off season Gary Roberts Training.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
After his bout of the flu late last year, Beau told the WBS press he was down 15 pounds from the 207 he weighed going into camp. So it would make sense he is somewhere around 195 at the moment IMO.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
For anyone watching the Roots broadcast last night...

Did Steigy mention that Glass should be "rested" or did I just hear what I wanted to? My daughter was playing with Hip Hop Mickey and I mostly heard "I'm so cool (Glass) my ice cream (should rest) doesn't melt"

Is there a punk rock Mickey that sings, "All the kids gonna sniff some glue............all the kids want somethin to do-ooo."?

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I agree. I normally harp on Fleury when we get a win but he looks shaky so it's only fair to say the same about Vokoun. It's weird because early on in the season he was so solid and tracking pucks really well. He didn't overplay things and made the game look easy. Now he seems to be off his angle, chasing saves, and just doesn't look comfortable.

That's because he wasn't fully acquainted with the Pens' defense early in the season :laugh:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Beau hasn't got his man strength yet but he's still doing an excellent job of battling (really showing up Tangradi in that regard).

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
+Great effort tonight
+Kunitz, wtf happened to this guy
+Super Duper
+Sid 5 assists lol
+Despres and Vitale in AND Jeffrey staying in and getting the opportunity to showcase himself (for trade value or to stay in the line-up)

-Malkin out

Fixed. Awesome avatar by the way. It's funny how big Muse are, and yet their best album never even got released in North America. The music industry is ****ed and does some dumb ass **** a lot of the time.

+ also, we have to give Niskanen some props. Aside from seeming always getting his shots through and on to the net (which Errey touched on yesterday), he has quietly been EXTREMELY steady the last few games.

+ and it's nice to see Despres playing a more simplified game and not making as many mistakes as earlier in the year. I like the learning cure/trajectory that he is on right now. (I like the trajectory Niskanen is on right now, as well; and he's still been really good, even on his left side).

+ and Eaton +4 last night and a great shot block on the PK. Pleasantly surprised.

Smacker

#LetsGoPens
Aug 15, 2012
+ Sid 0+5! Wow, what a night.
+ Kunitz 3+2. He is on fire.
+ Neal 1+2, he scored beautiful goal.
+ Duper 2+0
+ Powerplay, pp was good.
+ Beau-ner.

- i dont know.

LGP! :yo:

Ad