GDT: Sochi Olympics (Faulk: USA, Ruutu: FIN, Sekera: SVK, Semin: RUS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
What was going on in Bilyaletdinov's mind when he chose to start Varlamov over Bobrovsky?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Too much pressure for Russia. They've been talking about Sochi since it was announced the games were going to be there as the pinnacle of a lot of players careers. I believe it was incentive for Kovalchuk to return to the KHL. Players like Ovechkin and Malkin said they'd leave the NHL if not allowed to play. In comes a team like Finland with low expectations, lowered further by injuries and players turning them down, and plays loose and to their system. Finland is always a team regardless of what level of talent they have on their roster. They're always well-managed. Can't say the same for Russia. I only wish that Semin's snub had stuck, so that he wouldn't have had to been a part of such a colossal wipeout.

Host countries have it pretty tough.

Guy

Feb 14, 2008
post-23470-Jeremiah-Johnson-HD-gif-Imgur-2LEp.gif

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
I couldn't care less... but Sekera and Semin could use some rest, man. Not impressed with their performance... I like Ruutu on the PK. We use him a little bit right after the trade back in '08 on PK.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Could these Olympics give Ruutu a confidence boost he might have needed? World Jr's seemed to give Lindholm some confidence when he returned and Ruutu looks like a different player out there right now.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
One game in a single elimination tournament. We could lose to the Czechs just as easy. They could replay that game five more times and Russia could win all five.

People look way too deep into these things. Anything can happen in one game.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Hate to be a downer here but if there was ever a time to trade him...

That's the problem. If he continues to play like this, he's the top 6 guy they need. Crashing the net, great passing, winning battles, playing defense, etc. Is he finally healthy? Does he just have better linemates? Is it the bigger ice? His contract makes him such a gamble.

Unfortunately, that's the problem. Someone is going to have to go, or someone who's contract is up is going to have to take significantly under market value. Likely, more than one person.

If he can get back to the 50 point player he was in his first few years here, that'd be huge. Whether Ruutu stays or not, they still lack top 6/9 forwards. If Ruutu rebounds, then they don't have to worry about expending more assets to acquire one. I don't anticipate him having much value, even in a trade high scenario, so you're basically just moving him to free up cap space. No matter what happens, it's going to be a risky move.

I should point out that even though he needed a fresh start, Jokinen was pushed out the door and has since gone on to score 42 points, even though he's played beside Malkin and Neal for most of the year. I'd hate to see the same happen to Ruutu.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I was thinking 2002 for some reason as the year they didn't medal. But you could have phrased your response in a less douchey way.

As I said it was a serious question. Maybe I should have said "sincere question" instead...

The internet was very much alive and well in 2002, too. In fact, since the subject is internet meltdowns, I would characterize 2002's internet community as much more meltdown-prone than today's. Since that time, hockey forums have become a much more friendly place. You'd certainly never find something as friendly as this board in 2002.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I should point out that even though he needed a fresh start, Jokinen was pushed out the door and has since gone on to score 42 points, even though he's played beside Malkin and Neal for most of the year. I'd hate to see the same happen to Ruutu.

Of all the moves we've made, I think Jussi was done wrong more than anyone. They were throwing him on a new line every night, asking him to play different roles every night, then they wondered why he wasn't consistently producing. I'm glad he's gone on to play well (yadda yadda PIT), just a classless move imo (ibt change of scenery comments).

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I wouldn't read too much into Jokinen producing. He's done the same thing almost every time he's been put on a new team. Starts off producing great numbers, then falters as the years go by. Until it eventually reaches a point where you almost have to get rid of him, and then he produces great numbers for the team that acquires him.

Happened when he left Dallas
Happened when he came here
And it looks like it's happening in Pittsburgh.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
As I said it was a serious question. Maybe I should have said "sincere question" instead...

The internet was very much alive and well in 2002, too. In fact, since the subject is internet meltdowns, I would characterize 2002's internet community as much more meltdown-prone than today's. Since that time, hockey forums have become a much more friendly place. You'd certainly never find something as friendly as this board in 2002.

I'm 26, so I'm aware of how things were back then. But I said as prevalent, which is undeniable. It may be that it's more friendly now, I won't argue that, but I still think a meltdown would happen if Canada didn't medal. Not in a hostile way, just in a "we're doomed, we suck, take 23 new players next time, etc". The last of which may be the case anyway, I suppose.

Of all the moves we've made, I think Jussi was done wrong more than anyone. They were throwing him on a new line every night, asking him to play different roles every night, then they wondered why he wasn't consistently producing. I'm glad he's gone on to play well (yadda yadda PIT), just a classless move imo (ibt change of scenery comments).

It wouldn't be the first time he needed a change of scenery to rebound his career. Gleason was the same way. By all accounts he's doing well in Toronto, but the last few years here haven't been great. I don't like that he was essentially forced out, but he did need a new start that he wasn't going to get here.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

Perhaps it's just me, but I feel like the internet in general had less vitriolic tendencies in the earlier days. The "trolling culture" that has grown this generation is tiresome and played out for the most part. Not that I don't enjoy good satire or .....constructive sarcasm so to speak.... but the general attitude of everything and everyone being subject to relentless criticism seems more obvious now than in years past. I can say without question that the internet is a much more angry place than it was in '02. I don't think people fully realized the potential, or reality, of their anonymity in those days.

I know back in the old days, this place was a lot more wild west. A lot more natural in terms of what was allowed to be discussed instead of a particular topic ruffling a moderator and being closed without question, virtually every thread that was closed needed to be cleared in the mod lounge for fear of people acting bigger than the boards. It's sad that element has sort of gone by the wayside.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I suppose that's part of what makes me believe that things were a bit rougher back then: the fact that so few forums were moderated at all. Now moderators are much more prevalent. Also: many sites requiring that a user create a login to comment...Anonymous was a much busier commenter than he is today. :)

And the Usenet, where I frequented, could be quite an ugly place, even in newsgroups that had regular contributors.

Ok, enough about that...

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I'm 26, so I'm aware of how things were back then. But I said as prevalent, which is undeniable. It may be that it's more friendly now, I won't argue that, but I still think a meltdown would happen if Canada didn't medal. Not in a hostile way, just in a "we're doomed, we suck, take 23 new players next time, etc". The last of which may be the case anyway, I suppose.

I really don't see many controversial picks on Canada, though. It's more of a concern with goaltending, in that there are plenty of "good" goalies but not that one or two that are no-question elite. Ex. Quick/Miller, Lundquist, to a lesser extent Rask.

At this point, it's more on execution and lucky/unlucky bounces rather than the selection process.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
No, but when have freak outs every been based in rationality? I've already seen people complaining about Crosby's performance.

Well Crosby hasn't played great at all. But I don't think anyone would suggest the next Olympic team be without him. If someone does say that, the ignore function works quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad