GDT: Sochi Olympics (Faulk: USA, Ruutu: FIN, Sekera: SVK, Semin: RUS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
If Canada doesn't medal (meaning they lose the bronze game) I expect something like Vancouver 2011 to happen... both in real life and on this forum.

The Olympics board would be like this for a few days:

vancouver-riot-2011-asian-kid_5.jpg

Even now I still love that picture SOOOOOOOOOO much. :laugh:

Yeah, no matter what happens it's not going to be pretty, but Canada not even medaling would just be total thermonuclear meltdown on there for a while.

FWIW same goes if the US flat out weren't to medal because the same cast of characters would simply have the roles the other way around on that board.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh

Yeah, no matter what happens it's not going to be pretty, but Canada not even medaling would just be total thermonuclear meltdown on there for a while.

FWIW same goes if the US flat out weren't to medal because the same cast of characters would simply have the roles the other way around on that board.

I think having Canada fail to medal would be a good team-building exercise for the Mods. It'll help build character by staying strong through adversity.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
A Sweden or Finland vs. Switzerland final would be all sorts of hilarious. No medals for any of Russia/Canada/US. Total anarchy.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
How was it a terrible call? It was a rule. The call was right under the rules.

It is a rule, but its also a lucky break. It may not have even been that, if Quick knocked the net off intentionally. The US has been dominant against teams they were supposed to beat. Which, I suppose, is more than can be said about the other gold medal favorites.

But the game against equal competition, it took a lucky break not to lose in regulation and a likely unrepeatable individual effort in the shootout to get the win.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Not surprised the Slovaks are losing, they looked like utter **** in the opening round matches that I saw in all honesty. Only one I didn't see was Russia.

Very surprised that Latvia of all teams figure out how to score on the Swiss

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
Sekera's horrible giveaway leads to a Czech goal but he later gets an assist on Hossa's goal. 4-1 with one period to play but it would take a miracle for the Slovaks to get anything from the game.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
@MikeSundheim: Per @FishOnSports, if the @usahockey men medal, Justin Faulk will get one, whether he appears in a game or not

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
It would have been nice to see Faulk get a game. Ah well, I won't really complain too loudly if the US wins gold and he gets a medal anyway.

Also, go Slovenia and Latvia (and Finland, don't want to play Russia again)!

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I'd prefer Faulk doesn't take a shift and his healthy for the Canes stretch drive, since his defensive partner was playing 25 minutes a game for the Slovaks.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB

That's as incredible now as it was three years ago, though I think my favorite is still this one:

1655940_10152192437755709_1193824727_n.jpg

Anyway, I think I'd have rather played the Slovaks than the Czechs, but still confident regardless.

Go USA and go Latvia! :)

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
While I certainly would love an easy path for USA, I think I'd rather beat Canada and Russia on the way to it. Matchups like that are what make the Olympics so fun to watch.

Rad ChaLose

Aug 3, 2012
If Faulk doesn't get to play at all, I hope he's at least having fun investigating the scenery in Sochi.....

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Faulk is a young kid beginning his career and probably honored and thrilled to be there as a spare. he's there learning and gaining some experience and likely having the time of his life. sure they should have/could have given him some minutes earlier on but there's no way he's ready for any kind of big roll in these Olympics IMO. if they medal he'll get one and I bet he's just fine with that and the entire experience he's had.

there are a lot of really good players playing for these teams. I would imagine that NHL teams are watching closely, though I guess their scouting staff are familiar with some already. I wonder to what extent the Canes are on the look out in Europe and at the Olympics and if there are any of these guys that they would approach, if they can, and offer a contract to. there is a ton of talent out there in these countries and probably more than a few players that would jump at a contract in the NHL.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I find it hilarious how many posts in this thread are people hoping Canada doesn't medal.

And to everyone saying it will be a nuclear meltdown here if we don't medal, maybe you should look back a few Olympics because there were some bad ones in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad