OT: Soccer/Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestrnPhlyr

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Jul 17, 2015
NW Inland Empire
Liverpool did an absolute ton of business, the best of the top 6 pretty much without a doubt. We'll see if it's enough to put a real, sustained challenge on City's crown.

Have you found anyplace on cable that shows the championship matches? Streams are pretty much a no-go for me out here in the country with this monkeyless internet. When I first got to Sweden the cable we had only showed championship matches and I love watching that league, so would like to catch them from time to time.

I wish. No, at least nothing that I have in my current cable package. I'd look to see if anything were available but I already know Mrs. WestrnPhlyr would put the kibosh on that real quick, because I "already watch enough sports".....like that is even possible.:laugh:

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
So...Union making a payoff push? They've actually looked decent for about a month or so.

Not really a convincing win for Spurs but 3 points is 3 points.
I think I've missed the last 4 or 5 games, so I'm sure that's why they're playing well.

I didn't even realize they played last night until this morning, what the hell?

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
I think I've missed the last 4 or 5 games, so I'm sure that's why they're playing well.

I didn't even realize they played last night until this morning, what the hell?

Corey Burke has been so much more productive as a CF than Sapong, and that's more of a testament to how bad Sapong was than how good Burke has been. He's decidedly average at best, but just offers so much more going forward.

How is Dočkal doing with the Union?

Pretty good, had a stretch where he was lighting the world on fire and has started to get marked out of games more, but it's opened up the field for others. I'd like to have him back next year, but I doubt it, considering he's only on loan without an option to buy.

Reactions: kudymen

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
So... I’m sure most of you already know each other’s teams but

Who do you support and why?

Tottenham

I grew up in a family that had no interest in soccer, and I slowly got more interested with each passing World Cup (which makes the USMNT missing this WC such a big deal, but that's a whole different subject). The first USMNT memory I have is the US-Algeria game when Donovan scored at the last second. I watched the Union off and on (I remember when it was a big deal to have all of their MLS games on TV, since at first there were a good handful that weren't televised) but wouldn't have considered myself a huge fan. Sometime during this time period, I started playing FIFA more with friends, and had an absolute blast.

In what I want to say was the very end of the 12-13 season, I started watching the odd EPL game. It wasn't until NBC got the EPL rights in the US that I decided I wanted to find a team to follow. I remember being at my internship when NBC Sports Soccer or whatever it was called came out with a series introducing each team in the league that season. I didn't want to be someone who just hopped on the bandwagon of a top team and was hoping for some Americans to be on the team or somehow related to the team. I think at some point I was down to Tottenham, Fulham, and I want to say some weird random team like Hull since they had orange and black jerseys :laugh:

I ended up picking Spurs because they were decent and no one could accuse me of supporting someone just because I wanted to root for a winner, I also loved how they were/are one of few teams to have a positive net spend and not rely on money from oil ownership, and they had Dempsey and Bale at the time. The first season I truly followed closely was coincidentally Pochettino's first season, and I clearly remember Dier coming on as a sub at RB after Ryan Fredericks got a red card for a challenge and scoring the GWG in the last minutes of the match.

Now, I follow Spurs just as much as I do the Flyers and Eagles and rarely miss a match, and I've also converted my dad (who used to make fun of me for waking up at 7:30 AM to watch these games and now does the same) into a huge fan, while my brother is somewhat. I follow the Union as well but that's not as much fun :laugh:

The actual dates/years on this could be somewhat off, but the general idea is correct.

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr

WestrnPhlyr

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Jul 17, 2015
NW Inland Empire
I started watching here and there back in my military days (early 90s). I started pulling for Arsenal almost right away because of the story of the club and it's ties to the royal military. If i recall correctly, they werent anything special the first few seasons after Division 1 became the Premier League. Simple as that. Been a gooner ever since.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
There's still 5 minutes left of extra time so hopefully I'm not jinxing it, but it might be time to give Jim Curtain some props. He has the Union playing like a legitimate playoff contender.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Finally got to finish the Juve match after watching the first twenty minutes before getting stuff for a party I was having. I paused the game so I could watch it later.

At the grocery store, a guy pointed to be as we were walking in and goes “2-2.” The entire day I’ve been thinking “that asshole.”

Good to see they pulled it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad