OT: Soccer/Football Thread Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
All the best to Willian at Arsenal. Always been a phenomenal person, and good, if not sometimes frustrating, player. Explosive moments to go for days but his free kicks and turnovers can be untimely.

I'm happy that I won't have to choose to forego watching one of my games during the week to still watch him.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Willian to Arsenal... I always find rivalry transfers fascinating.

Eh, it's where our players go for their retirement contracts. Cech, Luiz, Willian... azpilicueta will likely be next.

To be fair, willian and luiz both own a restaurant group in London so they wanted to stay in town. They didn't have many other options that would pay the wages.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Eh, it's where our players go for their retirement contracts. Cech, Luiz, Willian... azpilicueta will likely be next.

To be fair, willian and luiz both own a restaurant group in London so they wanted to stay in town. They didn't have many other options that would pay the wages.
It's not like playing in any of the big leagues would be that far from London. :laugh:

Money rules all, I guess, but I am still fascinated that someone could play the bulk of their career for Celtic, say, and then sign with Rangers because they just wanted to stay in the area.

*I note the improbability of someone "wanting to stay in Glasgow". My parents (North Americans) bolted from Glasgow to North America 4 days after I was born. :laugh:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
It's not like playing in any of the big leagues would be that far from London. :laugh:

Money rules all, I guess, but I am still fascinated that someone could play the bulk of their career for Celtic, say, and then sign with Rangers because they just wanted to stay in the area.

*I note the improbability of someone "wanting to stay in Glasgow". My parents (North Americans) bolted from Glasgow to North America 4 days after I was born. :laugh:

I love Glasgow.

Great city with loads to do.

And its "stabiness" just reminds me of Manchester with cooler accents and slightly more sarcastic humour.

One of the handful of proper cities in the UK I would happilly live in. Weather does suck though.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I love Glasgow.

Great city with loads to do.

And its "stabiness" just reminds me of Manchester with cooler accents and slightly more sarcastic humour.

One of the handful of proper cities in the UK I would happilly live in. Weather does suck though.
I have been back to Scotland a few times and I enjoyed my time in Glasgow. Glasgow has earned its reputation, but it's obviously changed and my parents remember it fondly... outside of the rain.

I prefer the highlands or east coast (biased due to having played the Old Course). Need to hit up the west coast next; haven't explored there yet.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I have been back to Scotland a few times and I enjoyed my time in Glasgow. Glasgow has earned its reputation, but it's obviously changed and my parents remember it fondly... outside of the rain.

I prefer the highlands or east coast (biased due to having played the Old Course). Need to hit up the west coast next; haven't explored there yet.

Spent some time in Ayrshire and Loch Lomand. Really beautiful. And their accents are really cute. :laugh:

Yeh, everyone in the UK knows not to f*** with a Glaswegian. Even Mancs, Scousers and Geordies bow down to Glasgow as king of people not to mess with. Haha.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Spent some time in Ayrshire and Loch Lomand. Really beautiful. And their accents are really cute. :laugh:

Yeh, everyone in the UK knows not to f*** with a Glaswegian. Even Mancs, Scousers and Geordies bow down to Glasgow as king of people not to mess with. Haha.

Speaking from personal experience, they have a hair-trigger temper that puts mine to total shame. My anger evaporates in nanoseconds - their's just burns.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Speaking from personal experience, they have a hair-trigger temper that puts mine to total shame. My anger evaporates in nanoseconds - their's just burns.

The part on the Glasgow terror attack is so funny.

*If people dont know terrorists drove a car at a terminal... and set off explosives. One of the terroists got out of the car partially on fire... a baggage handler (John Smeaton) ran TOWARDS him and kicked him in the balls and punched him, putting him to the ground.

His quotes were amazing:

"Glasgow doesn't accept this. This is Glasgow; we'll set about ye."

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

I mean. They could've gone to Crystal Palace or West Ham, i suppose. But as you said, money wins out. There is also the draw of European football at Arsenal, at least.

I don't blame any of them for wanting to stick close to home in the twilight of their careers

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I mean. They could've gone to Crystal Palace or West Ham, i suppose. But as you said, money wins out. There is also the draw of European football at Arsenal, at least.

I don't blame any of them for wanting to stick close to home in the twilight of their careers

Kia Joorabchian.

Have fun Arsenal fans. The man should be in prison arguably.

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Kia Joorabchian.

Have fun Arsenal fans. The man should be in prison arguably.

Oh. For sure. I'm not sire how you justify giving a 32 year old a 3 year deal worth 200k a week, even if its on a free, when you jist laid off 55 people.

But this devolves into a conversation abput the club itself and im not sure its wise to go there.

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Oh. For sure. I'm not sire how you justify giving a 32 year old a 3 year deal worth 200k a week, even if its on a free, when you jist laid off 55 people.

But this devolves into a conversation abput the club itself and im not sure its wise to go there.

Yeh. It makes me sad. Arsenal were my second team when City sucked... as was fun to cheer for a team that played such great football.

United fans moan about the Glazers. But Kroenke is just as bad. And Kia Joorabchian being so heavily involved now... the man should have been banned from operating in football years ago with the whole Tevez and Mascherano thing.

At least with the Middle Eastern, British and Far East Prem owners even if they dont care about the club specifically a lot of them care about the prestige and use the club as a play thing they want to win with. And not tax breaks that they suck money out of.

He would relocate Arsenal to California if it made him money.

Rant over.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Fun note - after scoring 2 goals against his former team, Coutinho stands to make some money for his former team, Liverpool.

Part of Coutinhos sale involves a player CL win clause (not team). If Bayern win the CL. Barcelona will owe money to Liverpool.

:laugh:
Was about to post this. It would be hilarious if they sell him and he goes back to the old Coutinho.

Last edited:
Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I've never been happier that we didn't buy a player in my life. I wanted Dembele badly in the January window but this makes it all worthwhile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad