OT: Soccer/Football Thread Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Those who grew up in England. And even then, do they still?

If the FA wanted teams to take the cup more seriously, they should move the 4th Champion's League qualification spot to the winner of the competition instead of the Europa League.

Outside of that though, I don't see how you make the FA Cup worth it for the top 8-ish teams in the Premier League. I understand the draw of the competition for everyone else though.

Champion's League > EPL > Europa > FA Cup

Yeh, it really does... because only around ~20% of football fans in the country support teams that compete in the Champions league, or have a shot at the Prem. FA Cups and Wembley are an enduring image. The FA Cup in a lot of ways is the last remaining link to the "olden days" of football in England.

Plus a lot of teams fans... the biggest, most momentous moment in their sporting fandom will be their team making it to the FA Cup 5th round... or winning vs Liverpool, United, City etc one year in the 4th/5th round. That can mean a few more years of financial stability, or a big signing next summer, for League 1 teams.

I have a friend who is a Cambridge United fan. He will still talk about drawing vs United in the FA Cup 4th round in 2014! And his Dad regales him with the stories of them getting to 2x quarter finals in 89 and 90.

And no-one cares about Europa. It is the European league cup really.

90% of fans here would rather their team win the FA Cup than Europa. United fans would rather have won the FA Cup than Europa this year, almost to a man, for example.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Yeh, it really does... because only around ~20% of football fans in the country support teams that compete in the Champions league, or have a shot at the Prem. FA Cups and Wembley are an enduring image. The FA Cup in a lot of ways is the last remaining link to the "olden days" of football in England.

Plus a lot of teams fans... the biggest, most momentous moment in their sporting fandom will be their team making it to the FA Cup 5th round... or winning vs Liverpool, United, City etc one year in the 4th/5th round. That can mean a few more years of financial stability, or a big signing next summer, for League 1 teams.

I have a friend who is a Cambridge United fan. He will still talk about drawing vs United in the FA Cup 4th round in 2014! And his Dad regales him with the stories of them getting to 2x quarter finals in 89 and 90.

And no-one cares about Europa. It is the European league cup really.

90% of fans here would rather their team win the FA Cup than Europa. United fans would rather have won the FA Cup than Europa this year, almost to a man, for example.

Thank you for chiming in. Saying the FA Cup is irreverent to English footy... what a hot take. And to use qualifying for CL as a reason to win the FA Cup is completely missing the plot. This epitomizes how money and branding has changed the game.

Reactions: Appleyard

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Thank you for chiming in. Saying the FA Cup is irreverent to English footy... what a hot take. And to use qualifying for CL as a reason to win the FA Cup is completely missing the plot. This epitomizes how money and branding has changed the game.

I dont know if this was aimed at me or just a general statement but I feel the need to chime in regardless.

I'll say this - I don't think the FA cup is irrelevant to history of English football. I dont think anyone has said that, or at least, i certainly haven't. I think the problem is that lots of the "bigger" teams tend to de-prioritize it and since a lot of people over here in the states support those teams, we don't get as big of a feel for it. Like I said, its hard to take it serious when you see the teams aren't.

Now, that being said, I fully recognize its importance to the mid and lower table teams, and certainly to the championship and lower leagues. As @Appleyard said, for 2nd division teams, a game against the "big 6" is a huge revenue boost, and beating them in a 4th round tie is their version of winning the CL. I still remember when we lost to Bradford City in the 4th round a few years back. You'd have thought they won the whole league, and I think stuff like that is super important.

I just think you find a way to make it important, or remove the people who won't. Like i said, maybe the CL qualified teams aren't eligible. It relieves them of some 'unnecessary games' and also drives importance for the people that are in it. It just feels like an afterthought for the bigger teams these days and it 'cheapens' the competition for me.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
I dont know if this was aimed at me or just a general statement but I feel the need to chime in regardless.

I'll say this - I don't think the FA cup is irrelevant to history of English football. I dont think anyone has said that, or at least, i certainly haven't. I think the problem is that lots of the "bigger" teams tend to de-prioritize it and since a lot of people over here in the states support those teams, we don't get as big of a feel for it. Like I said, its hard to take it serious when you see the teams aren't.

Now, that being said, I fully recognize its importance to the mid and lower table teams, and certainly to the championship and lower leagues. As @Appleyard said, for 2nd division teams, a game against the "big 6" is a huge revenue boost, and beating them in a 4th round tie is their version of winning the CL. I still remember when we lost to Bradford City in the 4th round a few years back. You'd have thought they won the whole league, and I think stuff like that is super important.

I just think you find a way to make it important, or remove the people who won't. Like i said, maybe the CL qualified teams aren't eligible. It relieves them of some 'unnecessary games' and also drives importance for the people that are in it. It just feels like an afterthought for the bigger teams these days and it 'cheapens' the competition for me.

Like I said though, its the teams fighting relegation battles that are putting out 2nd string teams. Until the last 16 rounds. So you can't remove the entire premiership from the competition.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Like I said though, its the teams fighting relegation battles that are putting out 2nd string teams. Until the last 16 rounds. So you can't remove the entire premiership from the competition.

I sont know, I feel like i see more of the top 6 trotting out half assed teams than anyone - thougg I acknowledge I only see a small percentage of the games. Without thinking it through fully for all the mechanics - guarantee promtotion/safety from relegation for the winner?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Depends on the team. City fielded a good team almost every game in FA Cup this year, and vs Prem teams especially. Arsenal. Tottenham. Chelsea as well. Look at the team City lost vs Arsenal with. Or the team we beat Newcastle with the round before. Even vs Shef Wednesday in 3rd round played 6 regular starters... and brought on Sterling!

Ferguson and Klopp are really the two managers who have consistently fielded worse teams even vs good opposition in the FA Cup. Both great managers and I understand their reasoning for it!

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019

I was posting over a few beers but if I missed your point earlier, I understand it and pointed to it in my last sentance regarding money and brand. I was thinking from a more historical approach to the tournament but nowadays you are right, teams do not prioritize it and value has diminished.

Still love seeing lower level teams go on a run though

Reactions: Starat327

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Depends on the team. City fielded a good team almost every game in FA Cup this year, and vs Prem teams especially. Arsenal. Tottenham. Chelsea as well. Look at the team City lost vs Arsenal with. Or the team we beat Newcastle with the round before. Even vs Shef Wednesday in 3rd round played 6 regular starters... and brought on Sterling!

Ferguson and Klopp are really the two managers who have consistently fielded worse teams even vs good opposition in the FA Cup. Both great managers and I understand their reasoning for it!

Not like Fergie didn't do too badly in the competition either.

Reactions: Appleyard

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I was posting over a few beers but if I missed your point earlier, I understand it and pointed to it in my last sentance regarding money and brand. I was thinking from a more historical approach to the tournament but nowadays you are right, teams do not prioritize it and value has diminished.

Still love seeing lower level teams go on a run though

No offense taken - I can certainly understand the importance of it to about 90% of the league. Im sure if i lived over in the U.K., it would mean more to me as well, as i'd have a) better ties to the leagues themselves and b) probably follow my local team, for whom that would be of greater import. Speaking strictly as an american, it just doesnt seem to have the same appeal to the team i follow, so its hard for me to really get behind. Would I like my team to win it? Absolutely. Am i busted up that they didnt win it Saturday? Not particularly.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Copenhagen through to Europa quarter finals.

Without Dame N'Doye, one of best players... because he is leaving club and due to rules etc on contracts, transfer windows, is going right away.

Jonas Wind has had a blinder of a game. 21 years old. 10th goal in his 16th game of the season. I guess big teams start looking at him soon.

Happy for multiple reasons seeing the team they just beat to get there! The fake Erdogan propped up team.

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Wish I could be in the FCK Sektion 12 for the game vs United.

That would be epic. Maybe my favourite stand in football that I have spent any significant time in. Insane atmosphere. Cheap alcohol. A beautiful aroma. :laugh:

Reactions: Young Sandwich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad