Soccer/Football Thread Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Seems like it's true that the players on both teams requested to resume today. I can't imagine coming back on the field today.

I have thought about it and... even though my initial reaction is that it is crazy to restart... I have been involved in two games where players were taken away in an ambulance in scary situations and it was never a thought not to resume. So in the bubble of the game.

1. Rugby game at 16 years old. One of my friends took an awful hit to his neck/head and could not move. Went to hospital in a neck brace.

2. Water polo game at 17 years old. One of my only top tier appearances in an early round cup game. Opposition player literally just passed out and sunk to the bottom of the pool. Multiple people went to help and he came back round once they dragged him off bottom and out of pool and got him on poolside and did "initial" 5 breath CPR for water related shit... but then passed out again. Taken away in ambulance.

But yeh... not quite as serious as what happened today.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I have thought about it and... even though my initial reaction is that it is crazy to restart... I have been involved in two games where players were taken away in an ambulance in scary situations and it was never a thought not to resume. So in the bubble of the game.

1. Rugby game at 16 years old. One of my friends took an awful hit to his neck/head and could not move. Went to hospital in a neck brace.

2. Water polo game at 17 years old. One of my only top tier appearances in an early round cup game. Opposition player literally just passed out and sunk to the bottom of the pool. Multiple people went to help and he came back round once they dragged him off bottom and out of pool and got him on poolside and did "initial" 5 breath CPR for water related shit... but then passed out again. Taken away in ambulance.

But yeh... not quite as serious as what happened today.
Yeah, I had a teammate knocked out with a check to the head, whereby his head then hit the ice as he fell. I had no interest in continuing to play that game even though we knew he wasn't going to die.

I don't get the desire to just get right back to it.

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Yeah, I had a teammate knocked out with a check to the head, whereby his head then hit the ice as he fell. I had no interest in continuing to play that game even though we knew he wasn't going to die.

Thinking back for me it was not even that I "wanted" to play anymore. It was just not a consideration not to if that makes sense.

Though in situation one tbh I was more (alongside worrying about friend) just shitting myself that we had used our interchanges and I knew I would have to go and play second row as I was the biggest kid in the backfield. :help:

Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Hopefully he is not one of the younger people on the wrong side of the vaccine that have experienced Myocarditis....

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

It sounds like they weren't given much choice. UEFA told them they had to finish the game either today or tomorrow morning. It's pretty clear their heads were not in the right place. Even Finland's goal, Schmeichel should have stopped that. I think making them play was extremely unfair to the Denmark team.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
It sounds like they weren't given much choice. UEFA told them they had to finish the game either today or tomorrow morning. It's pretty clear their heads were not in the right place. Even Finland's goal, Schmeichel should have stopped that. I think making them play was extremely unfair to the Denmark team.
Yeah, saw that later, that they only had two choices.

The Danish coach said that the players knew they weren't going to sleep well, if at all, tonight, so they just decided to get on with it.

Reactions: Jack Straw

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Some much needed levity for the thread:

FB_IMG_1623538380113.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad