So Who Takes Over Amateur Scouting?

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
I think we've had 3 good drafts in a row(2 under Benning). Drafting for me is the least of our worries, so if Jim stays in charge of the draft, I'm fine with that. I'll give you the he's made some poor late round choices, but his high to mid picks have been fine imo.

We need to worry more about trades, and contract management honestly.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
So are we gonna criticize Benning for making a personnel move in favor of analytics now too?

You mean the guy they moved out of analytics? Probably knew how to operate a calculator, that impressed Jim and Ron because none of them could do the cap calculations without Gilman.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I'll say this though, despite Benning coming off as a guy who looks and sounds like he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, he has done a very good job of figuring out a way to do a Head Scout's job description while collecting a GM's salary.

It's also the right thing to do. Like I said a couple days before this happened, he should be handing over contracts and negotiations to someone better equipped to handle them, while he gets to focus on what he enjoys, and has a good reputation doing, scouting amateur hockey.

The only problem is, he may have handed the reins over to a guy that isn't very good(Weisbrod). Remains to be seen on that front, as it sounds like we don't really know for sure what he's done in the past.

But in terms of scouting, I actually think these firings and the re-organizing of the front office with Benning stepping into more of a head scouting role sound like a good thing. We don't know for sure if Benning can find the success he had in Buffalo, but the more new voices in the amateur scouting for this organization the better IMO. They just didn't get it done in this area - change was LONG overdue.

Run the damn draft Benning! Stick to what you know, and stay away from every type of negotiation out there.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
benning.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad