So Who Takes Over Amateur Scouting?

Tank

May 9, 2012
Langley
With the recent purge of management and especially Eric Crawford, who takes over the amateur scouting. It appeared Crawford had been doing an admirable job in the last few years - do they turn it back to Delorme? We finally were restocking our prospect pool.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Wasn't it reported that Benning will likely handle the scouting department himself?

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
I find it weird in the NHL, teams are firing their scouting staff like crazy and not really replacing them. I wonder if we are moving to a more internet/tech way of scouting to narrow down who to get looks at....

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
If we wanted a head scout we should have hired him in that role. We needed a GM.

Demote him. Now.

Never fear. Weisbrod is here. :help:

It's pretty obvious how obsessed with scouting Jimmy B is when he plans to skip the first few games of our playoffs. Unacceptable for a GM.

Last edited:

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I have a feeling Canucks will bring on a new GM next season while Benning transitions into director of scouting.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Weisbrod is taking over for Henning, Wall for Gilman, Benning/Delorme for Crawford.

So an analytics guy who has been with the team since the 90's (I wonder what he did back then?) is now in charge of contracts, negotiation and the legal interpration of the CBA? Where could that possibly go wrong... :dunce:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I have a feeling Canucks will bring on a new GM next season while Benning transitions into director of scouting.

Why bring on a new one when we can just promote Weisbrod? Do you think that snake oil salesman is gonna let a bunch of idiots like Benning and Linden hire someone and place them above him? The guy thrives on morons like the two we have running this franchise. The puppet master has attached his strings, it's all the Weisbrod show now.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
So an analytics guy who has been with the team since the 90's (I wonder what he did back then?) is now in charge of contracts, negotiation and the legal interpration of the CBA? Where could that possibly go wrong... :dunce:

So are we gonna criticize Benning for making a personnel move in favor of analytics now too?

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
So are we gonna criticize Benning for making a personnel move in favor of analytics now too?

When it's a stupid decision, yes, it's going to be criticized. Every stupid decision made by management should be criticized. If you want to close your eyes, plug your ears and yell "everything is going to be alright" then by all means do so.

25Bieksa3

Apr 28, 2009
Vancouver
Weisbrod is supposedly acting as a pseudo-GM, while Benning handles scouting. Basically, our management has more in common with a circus than hockey.

I think this is the correct theory.

Benning seems to be at his best and happiest scouting and at the draft table, and I think he KNOWS he isn't ready for the other half of the GM duties. I can absolutely see Weisbrod having taken over those GM functions and the team suffering terribly for it.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Normally I'd say "who cares" to answer about who will be director of amateur scouting for the 'Nucks...but since they're obviously headed for a top-10 pick next year, the answer is pretty important...assume it will be Benning on double-duty...man, posters really gave to the Leafs when they hired Kyle Dubas, but he's starting look better every day.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Botchford has been saying that Benning "will absorb Crawford's role." No idea how that will work.

If he's going to do that, what is Delorme's role? Is he Head Scout #2?

Weisbrod is taking over for Henning, Wall for Gilman, Benning/Delorme for Crawford.

It seems like Weisbrod is taking over for Benning. Wall is taking over for Gilman, Benning for Crawford, and Delorme who knows what?

If only that were at all realistic...

Weisbrod is supposedly acting as a pseudo-GM, while Benning handles scouting. Basically, our management has more in common with a circus than hockey.

That does seem the role shift happening here. It basically gives Benning the most knowledge of the draft, and of course he has veto power as well. Basically, the draft from rounds 1-7 is all on him.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I'll say this though, despite Benning coming off as a guy who looks and sounds like he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, he has done a very good job of figuring out a way to do a Head Scout's job description while collecting a GM's salary.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I think the Weisbrod will absorb a lot of both Gilman and Hennings roles. Wall will get a lot of Gilman's role as well. Benning will take over the scouting part of the roles that Crawford and Gilman were doing and I wouldn't be surprised if TC Carling takes on some of the more administrative/office duties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad