So who is on their way out?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Guessing the lines shake out like this come the first game of the season if all healthy.

O'Reilly - Dutchy - Iginla
Landy - MacK - Tangs
McGinn - Mitchell - Briere
McLeod - Winchester - Talbot

Hejda - EJ
Stuart - Barrie
Holden - Guenin

I think Roy goes Mitchell over Briere at center, to give him proper right/left shots on that 3rd line, and keeps O'Reilly at wing to start at least, so Mack can be given a shot at center. Winchester brings more than Cliche. Stuart/Barrie and Holden/Guenin give Roy the defensive/offensive combos he was stressing about LA.

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
Keeping both Elliot and Barrie is redundant in my opinion. Pretty similar players when they're on their games.

Obviously Barrie broke out and is the better player right now, so trading Elliot would make sense. But at the same time, they could make the argument to trade Barrie while he has a much higher value and keep Elliot.

Either way I think one has to go.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I'd be surprised if Cody Mac gets moved. He's the type of lockerroom guy teams need.

That's right. Sometimes people forget this isn't a video game. It's not as simple as saying "this guy has an 83 speed rating to McLeod's 74", but these are usually the same folks who can't lace up a pair of skates. McLeod is the owner of dressing room, the chief of the boys. Extremely important leader. The captaincy thread suggesting he is stripped of his A for some reason is even more laughable. Armchair stuff.

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario
A lot of foolish talk here. McLeod is heart and soul of team. Only way he goes is as a ufa when term is up.

Iggy, Stuart and Briere are here for next years playoff push. Roy didn't get them to trade them right before they make their impact aka playoffs.

Roy wants to win and have vets show the kids what it takes.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
That's right. Sometimes people forget this isn't a video game. It's not as simple as saying "this guy has an 83 speed rating to McLeod's 74", but these are usually the same folks who can't lace up a pair of skates. McLeod is the owner of dressing room, the chief of the boys. Extremely important leader. The captaincy thread suggesting he is stripped of his A for some reason is even more laughable. Armchair stuff.

Pretty sure he's the longest serving Av by a considerable amount of time too. I don't count Tanguay since he's had a few stops along the way.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Let's face it, we've got a lot of NHL contracts right now.

Forwards (14):
Duchene, Iginla, Tanguay, Landy, MacKinnon, McGinn, Mitchell, Briere, Talbot, ROR, McLeod, Winchester, Bordeleau, Cliche

Defense (9):
EJ, Hejda, Stuart, Barrie, Holden, Wilson, Guenin, Redmond, Elliott

Goalies (2):
Varly, Berra

That's 25 players that would have to pass through waivers to get to the AHL. I'm not sure how willing the Avs are to send any of these guys to the AHL or risk losing them for nothing.

I'm pretty sure Guenin and Cliche make so little that they could be buried in the AHL without the Avs facing any cap hit (at least when I mess around on CapGeek, they aren't counting), but I'm not sure the Avs will send them to the AHL after giving them extensions.

I guess it's always possible they try to send Elliott back down again, but I'm not sure they want to risk losing him for nothing after having tried to develop him this long. A trade is always an option. I'd honestly rather develop him on the NHL team and dump someone else.

The obvious odd men out, to me, are McLeod and Wilson. For one, they make more than the rest of the other guys, and two, they might actually fetch us a late pick, as opposed to the others probably not getting us anything. I'm not sure how willing the Avs would be to part with McLeod given his tenure, but with the addition of all these older guys, I don't think he brings much to the team right now. After his suspension last year, he was pretty useless.

What does everyone think is going to happen?

Cliché buried, Elliott traded for a pick. Boom, 23 man roster.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
I want Guenin gone. I'd take Wilson over Guenin personally.
I could also see Bordeleau to Montreal for a 3rd/4th(overpayment by Montreal, but look what Bollig got.)
Cliche should be sent down.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
On D the easiest thing is to do is keep the 8 D on contracts they have and do something with Elliott or just let him go. The most logical thing is to buyout Wilson, save the cap space on a guy that definitely is not in the plans going forward while Elliott still could be. They might just expose one to waivers and live with it though Elliott as an offensive former 2nd rounder shouldn't make it through. Wilson actually looked good in LE his one game there, it might not be the worst thing in the world for him and the team so maybe that happens too. I think Redmond was brought in as a Holden or better in mind. Might not start playing all the time but will push himself into the everyday lineup before long. His age and apparent talent level makes him the darkhorse signing of the day.

At forward I don't have as clear of a guess. Maybe the easiest thing is to waive Cliche, he probably passes through. Its not going to be Talbot, Roy traded for him specifically and he's taken a leadership role with the team. McCleod I agree just let him play out the year.

finds71

Jan 18, 2011
Canada
I can't convince myself to trade Elliott, I fear that trading him would come back to bite us in the ass really bad. I want him to get a real chance before we trade him.
I would go with:
Hejda - EJ
Stuart - Barrie
Holden - Elliott

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Guessing the lines shake out like this come the first game of the season if all healthy.

Landy - MacK - Tangs

Hejda - EJ
Stuart - Barrie
Holden - Guenin

I think Roy goes Mitchell over Briere at center, to give him proper right/left shots on that 3rd line, and keeps O'Reilly at wing to start at least, so Mack can be given a shot at center. Winchester brings more than Cliche. Stuart/Barrie and Holden/Guenin give Roy the defensive/offensive combos he was stressing about LA.

This is probably pretty close. Redmond might beat out Guenin, but that is one of the only camp battles. Chemistry between Iginla and Duchene/MacK will probably determine where he goes.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I can't convince myself to trade Elliott, I fear that trading him would come back to bite us in the ass really bad. I want him to get a real chance before we trade him.
I would go with:
Hejda - EJ
Stuart - Barrie
Holden - Elliott

Man I agree with you, but I love Redmond as well. It's a touch decision.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I see lot of you listing Iginla and Tanguay as RWs, what line did they play on with the Flames? I say we should do our best to keep them together, but it's damn hard since I want Duchene/ROR and MacK/Landeskog together as well.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I see lot of you listing Iginla and Tanguay as RWs, what line did they play on with the Flames? I say we should do our best to keep them together, but it's damn hard since I want Duchene/ROR and MacK/Landeskog together as well.

Tangs-(insert random center)-Iginla is mostly what they played in Calgary.

The only way I see Tangs and Iginla being on the same line is if ROR moves back to center. Possible if MacK struggles there.

Yetti090

Jul 1, 2014
Manchester, England

I don't know if Roy would have a problem breaking up MacK and Landy. In my opinion, the real "chemistry" was between MacK and Stastny and Landy was a perfect fit because he was strong on the boards and clearing space for the other 2 to pass and shoot. Landy is really coming into that power forward role but I could see the lines of

Iggy-Dutch-Tanguay
Ror-MacK-Landy
Ginner-Briere-Talbot
McLeod-Mitchell-Winchester

I know Winchester played a lot of wing in florida.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Landy - MacK - Tangs

Hejda - EJ
Stuart - Barrie
Holden - Guenin

I think Briere handles one of the bottom C roles. When reading about him, maybe it was on TV when talking about the trade, it was stated that he is much better at C than on the wing. For some reason that really stuck out to me.

I'm thinking the 3rd line will be:
McGinn - Mitchell - Talbot ( if we want more of a defensive minded unit, Briere centers the 4th)
Or
McGinn - Briere - Mitchell ( if we want more of an offensive line, Talbot centers the 4th)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think Briere handles one of the bottom C roles. When reading about him, maybe it was on TV when talking about the trade, it was stated that he is much better at C than on the wing. For some reason that really stuck out to me.

I'm thinking the 3rd line will be:
McGinn - Mitchell - Talbot ( if we want more of a defensive minded unit, Briere centers the 4th)
Or
McGinn - Briere - Mitchell ( if we want more of an offensive line, Talbot centers the 4th)

Maybe. Mitchell's much better at center than at wing too though, and is probably bette defensively than Briere, though not by much.

kitsel

Mar 31, 2012
We're still out of a #2 dman and from what I'm reading on the main board, Stuart is worse than Wilson.

I don't know what they are going to do, but chances are they'll have to do something else.

Oh please :shakehead

Don't believe the hyperbolic BS on the main boards. Everyone likes to rag on their players that underperform (especially if they're subsequently traded) and I'll bet 95% of that comes from bitter sharks fans still angry about the kings series.

Stuart isn't Duncan Keith but in no version of reality is he worse than Wilson.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This is probably pretty close. Redmond might beat out Guenin, but that is one of the only camp battles. Chemistry between Iginla and Duchene/MacK will probably determine where he goes.

I think Nate needs a puck carrier/set up man to help him out. That's why he did so well with Drouin and Stastny. Landy's most likely not getting split up from him, since he's never had much chemistry with Dutchy, and is familiar with Nate's tendencies from last year.

If Mack's at center, Tanguay playing with him would be the most set in stone combo if it were up to me. Which it obviously isn't, haha. Plus it balances out the size in the lineup with Landy and Iggy on different lines.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Iggy has a no trade clause and not a chance he is waiving it after signing a 3 year here.

You think that will hold if Avs are outside looking in at the playoffs?

NTCs and "no chance he waives"
Reminds me of the Garrisson, Gorges, Iginla, Kessler, Nash, etc discussions of the past.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Let's face it, we've got a lot of NHL contracts right now.

Forwards (14):
Duchene, Iginla, Tanguay, Landy, MacKinnon, McGinn, Mitchell, Briere, Talbot, ROR, McLeod, Winchester, Bordeleau, Cliche

Defense (9):
EJ, Hejda, Stuart, Barrie, Holden, Wilson, Guenin, Redmond, Elliott

Goalies (2):
Varly, Berra

That's 25 players that would have to pass through waivers to get to the AHL. I'm not sure how willing the Avs are to send any of these guys to the AHL or risk losing them for nothing.

I'm pretty sure Guenin and Cliche make so little that they could be buried in the AHL without the Avs facing any cap hit (at least when I mess around on CapGeek, they aren't counting), but I'm not sure the Avs will send them to the AHL after giving them extensions.

I guess it's always possible they try to send Elliott back down again, but I'm not sure they want to risk losing him for nothing after having tried to develop him this long. A trade is always an option. I'd honestly rather develop him on the NHL team and dump someone else.

The obvious odd men out, to me, are McLeod and Wilson. For one, they make more than the rest of the other guys, and two, they might actually fetch us a late pick, as opposed to the others probably not getting us anything. I'm not sure how willing the Avs would be to part with McLeod given his tenure, but with the addition of all these older guys, I don't think he brings much to the team right now. After his suspension last year, he was pretty useless.

What does everyone think is going to happen?
I just ran the numbers, wow we r spending money on Brier.. More than any of our d men.
I agree with above, Wilson probably gone but no idea what Roy want for offensive balance but I could see trading McLoud and or Eliot.
Sure is interesting
Cannot wait for hockey season

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
You think that will hold if Avs are outside looking in at the playoffs?

NTCs and "no chance he waives"
Reminds me of the Garrisson, Gorges, Iginla, Kessler, Nash, etc discussions of the past.

In year 3 if they are not contenders by then I can definitely see them trading him to give him a shot at the Cup. He'd waive too and we'd get a rental pick in return. Not all that bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad