So who is on their way out?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Let's face it, we've got a lot of NHL contracts right now.

Forwards (14):
Duchene, Iginla, Tanguay, Landy, MacKinnon, McGinn, Mitchell, Briere, Talbot, ROR, McLeod, Winchester, Bordeleau, Cliche

Defense (9):
EJ, Hejda, Stuart, Barrie, Holden, Wilson, Guenin, Redmond, Elliott

Goalies (2):
Varly, Berra

That's 25 players that would have to pass through waivers to get to the AHL. I'm not sure how willing the Avs are to send any of these guys to the AHL or risk losing them for nothing.

I'm pretty sure Guenin and Cliche make so little that they could be buried in the AHL without the Avs facing any cap hit (at least when I mess around on CapGeek, they aren't counting), but I'm not sure the Avs will send them to the AHL after giving them extensions.

I guess it's always possible they try to send Elliott back down again, but I'm not sure they want to risk losing him for nothing after having tried to develop him this long. A trade is always an option. I'd honestly rather develop him on the NHL team and dump someone else.

The obvious odd men out, to me, are McLeod and Wilson. For one, they make more than the rest of the other guys, and two, they might actually fetch us a late pick, as opposed to the others probably not getting us anything. I'm not sure how willing the Avs would be to part with McLeod given his tenure, but with the addition of all these older guys, I don't think he brings much to the team right now. After his suspension last year, he was pretty useless.

What does everyone think is going to happen?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think Wilson is the guy they want to lose, but that's probably not going to be easy. I don't know what Elliott would fetch in a trade. A fourth round pick? He's 23 and if he can't stick with Avs, he's basically Gaunce/Cohen when it comes to value.

Cliche should be sent to the AHL. He's got a one-way deal but it's a small one. He should pass waivers, I'd think.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't really understand the Redmond signing, and why he earned a two year one way deal with 18 NHL games played.

I think Elliott's a goner, either in a standard prospect trade or via waivers.

If they plan to move McLeod it's a big mistake. He's perfect at what he does, and is a heart and sould guy for the team.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
There aren't many contracts on the club that the current management group hasn't signed.

I don't think Nate Guenin and Marc-Andre Cliche will be dealt due to their low figure contracts, but I could see them demoted at some point.

There's definitely potential for Cody McLeod to be moved. He is the longest tenured Av, but his skills are diminishing, he's a pending UFA, and Colorado is loaded with left wingers.

Ryan Wilson obviously has no role on the team despite his high salary, but Colorado might just have to demote him if he doesn't step it up in training camp.

The shocker special could be Jan Hejda. Another impending UFA next summer who's getting up there in age. He was obviously a huge part of Colorado's success last season, but if Colorado is eyeing a trade for a defenseman, Hejda is the logical casualty.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm fine with getting rid of Wilson, Cliche and Bordy. Feel like McLeod is redundant when we have Talbot, but someone's gotta throw the punches. I think Roy will keep 8D again which means we don't have to move anyone on defense.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Cliche should be sent to the AHL. He's got a one-way deal but it's a small one. He should pass waivers, I'd think.

I highly doubt it but I don't have a problem with him playing elsewhere if we don't have a spot for him. He's on a small contract, relatively young and NHL ready. These are exactly the kind of players that don't pass waivers.

Wilson would clear waivers because of his contract, though. CBO on Wilson appears to be the answer to get rid of him.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
if Colorado is eyeing a trade for a defenseman, Hejda is the logical casualty.

Who would trade a decent dman for Hejda? And more importantly, why would they do it?

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
As of right now, Wilson is the odd guy out on defense I think. But I bet they approach it like last year and give everyone a chance to earn their spot.

On forward, same thing with earning bottom-6 spots. But I think Cliche should be safe to go through waivers. He's offensively impotent... He could be our first call up.

Jazzguitar

Feb 25, 2012
Denver
Who would trade a decent dman for Hejda? And more importantly, why would they do it?

The only reason I could see another team trading for Hejda is the fact that we suck at trading and wed probably throw in some draft picks as well for what is probably an old small center in return.

I'm half joking.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Let's face it, we've got a lot of NHL contracts right now.

Forwards (14):
Duchene, Iginla, Tanguay, Landy, MacKinnon, McGinn, Mitchell, Briere, Talbot, ROR, McLeod, Winchester, Bordeleau, Cliche

Defense (9):
EJ, Hejda, Stuart, Barrie, Holden, Wilson, Guenin, Redmond, Elliott

Goalies (2):
Varly, Berra

That's 25 players that would have to pass through waivers to get to the AHL. I'm not sure how willing the Avs are to send any of these guys to the AHL or risk losing them for nothing.

What does everyone think is going to happen?

Bold will be gone before the season starts

Red could easily be dealt at the deadline or gone by the start of next season

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Red could easily be dealt at the deadline or gone by the start of next season

:laugh:

It would take a heck of a bad year for us to ask Iginla to waive his NMC so we can trade him to a playoff team at the deadline. I'm talking about a "we-have-a-good-chance-at-mcdavid" type of bad year.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
There is absolutely no way Iginla is traded in the next year or two.

Especially as I believe Friedman reported that Iginla received a NMC...which the Avs seem to be conservative on handing out because they don't appear to be like some other teams who just force a player out anyway.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Unless he has an understanding that if the Avs are not a playoff team they will try to move him to a likely cup contender. His impact could be similar to Gaborik's was this year.

NMC only means that the player has a right of refusal, I think that has been proven enough this year alone.

HockeyFan100

Oct 7, 2012
My guess is that Cliche will be buried in the AHL and Bordeleau or McLeod are the 13th forward. On defense, either Wilson is buried or bought out. Not sure what to do with Elliott.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
[]I don't really understand the Redmond signing, and why he earned a two year one way deal with 18 NHL games played.

I think Elliott's a goner, either in a standard prospect trade or via waivers.

If they plan to move McLeod it's a big mistake. He's perfect at what he does, and is a heart and sould guy for the team.

Kinda shows they have high hopes and believe in him. Also that was probably a big sticking point in negotiations with the player.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Especially as I believe Friedman reported that Iginla received a NMC...which the Avs seem to be conservative on handing out because they don't appear to be like some other teams who just force a player out anyway.

Iggy talked about his kids, schools, hockey development in Denver and all that stuff before signing. The plan is obviously playing his 3 years here and then retire, hence the NMC. He's not getting traded.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Guys we're all forgetting about Hishon.

I think he'll make a run at a roster spot as long as he stays healthy.

So there might be even more changes to the roster.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Guys we're all forgetting about Hishon.

I think he'll make a run at a roster spot as long as he stays healthy.

So there might be even more changes to the roster.

We're still out of a #2 dman and from what I'm reading on the main board, Stuart is worse than Wilson.

I don't know what they are going to do, but chances are they'll have to do something else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad