Speculation: So...Who is Lou Lamoriello trading the Isles 1st for this year...?

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Every night I pray to God that Lou’s one of those hockey guys who loves Josh Anderson
Would Andy waive the NTC to go there though?

I don't see anyone taking him right now. If he can get back to his 20 goal pace, maybe. I think it's more likely he's around until the 26-27 season when his actual salary is $3.5 million and his NTC drops to a list of 5 teams from 8.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I don’t want any of those guys with term honestly. Wennberg possibly but no need for any of them overall when it comes to upgrading. They need to move on from Martin, Cal and Wahlstrom up front then see what they have in the system first. Maggio, Dufour or Iskhakov could step in and be the perfect match for substantially cheaper.
Agree to disagree on this, but I care most about not trading the 1st. It's pretty obviously too risky. Would rather make the pick, or deal it at the draft.

Reactions: Benedict Kovalchuk

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I can confirm that Periferal does pay if he loses his bets. He's not blowing smoke when he agrees to bet.

Yes - I'm an honorable person…Who isn’t good at betting. :cool:

To be fair to Lou, none of his 1st round picks bust. They all become NHLers, very quickly. He has a near-100% success rate.

I’ll assume this is sarcasm, but the post still requires a mention of Oliver Wahlstrom.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Hence the keyword, near. And of course it's sarcasm.

Come on, perif!

Well I assumed it was, but couldn't take any chances. As you can see I'm a bit on edge as it's the annual "Spring Cleaning" week for Lou.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Well I assumed it was, but couldn't take any chances. As you can see I'm a bit on edge as it's the annual "Spring Cleaning" week for Lou.

We should all be on the edge of our seats this week, but at least his old pal Henrique is already spoken for, right?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
We should all be on the edge of our seats this week, but at least his old pal Henrique is already spoken for, right?

If the Islanders stay with the Nelson-Horvat-Barzal line they could use another Center, looks like Wennberg is going to be traded to the Rangers so not much else left on the market

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Right and....

Whew.

If the Islanders stay with the Nelson-Horvat-Barzal line they could use another Center, looks like Wennberg is going to be traded to the Rangers so not much else left on the market

What the Isles really need something that's rarely for sale...A top-end winger.

I'll assume Roy doesn't want to play 3 centers together, so if the Isles got that legit 1st line winger they could slide Nelson back to #2 center.

Reactions: Konk

Green

Nov 13, 2019
Do the Islanders have a choice but to do anything but trade their 1st round pick again? The way the team is constructed they are not a serious Stanley Cup threat, and their window is about another 3-4 years until they are forced to do a re-build, so the choice is either start the re-build which is what I feel should have been done, or keep on doubling down and destroy and already depleted farm system to increase your very small chance at winning a cup, so given the almost zero chance of Lou starting the re-build, and seeing how this team has little chance at winning a cup how it is constructed, Lou almost has to trade the 1st rounder again for something "good" that will hopefully improve the team over the next 3 years or so.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Do the Islanders have a choice but to do anything but trade their 1st round pick again? The way the team is constructed they are not a serious Stanley Cup threat, and their window is about another 3-4 years until they are forced to do a re-build, so the choice is either start the re-build which is what I feel should have been done, or keep on doubling down and destroy and already depleted farm system to increase your very small chance at winning a cup, so given the almost zero chance of Lou starting the re-build, and seeing how this team has little chance at winning a cup how it is constructed, Lou almost has to trade the 1st rounder again for something "good" that will hopefully improve the team over the next 3 years or so.
If you have Iyla Sorokin + a top four of Pelech-Dobson & Romanov-Pulock with a top line of Nelson-Horvat-Barzal you are considered a "Stanley Cup threat" in Lou Lamoriello's mind.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I don't see anybody on the market left worth a first rounder unless the Islanders can somehow swing a trade for Hannifin or Chychrun(I've suggested maybe Pelech+ for either, that way I see a slight improvement and we get a bit younger).

At this point Islanders either need a first line winger which I don't see any on the market or a bottom 6 center(if Islanders decide to keep Nelson on the first line). The bottom 6 guy can be had for much less than a 1st so Islanders are better to keep it. Now if at the Draft the Islanders can make another Romanov type deal for the first pick I am all for it.

I know people rag on Lou for trading first rounders but if you look at our roster we have 4 guys who he traded picks for(2020-2023) still on the roster(Pageau, Palmieri, Romanov and Horvat). I would say that is pretty shrewd trading where you get more than a rental for that pick

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
As for the people saying The Islanders should rebuild. Here is all the picks the Islanders traded away between 2020-2023 in the first and second round

Ridly Greig (C)
Roni Hirvonen (C)
Chase Stillman (RW)
Sean Behrens (D)
Frank Nazar (C)
Mattias Havelid (D)
Axel Sandin Pellikka (D)

Now I am no expert on prospects but I don't believe this is a group of players that would be the core of my future Stanley cup team. And this is not ment to belittle any of them, I would guess one or 2 of these guys will go on to have decent to solid NHL careers(I know Nazar has a lot of upside for instance)

Reactions: Ignite111

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
If you have Iyla Sorokin + a top four of Pelech-Dobson & Romanov-Pulock with a top line of Nelson-Horvat-Barzal you are considered a "Stanley Cup threat" in Lou Lamoriello's mind.
That is actually a solid core eventhough Kyle Palmieri is the flashy goal scorer right now. Ideally a 2C would be perfect so someone a bit more offensively inclined can center Lee and Palms shifting Pageau or Zeek down to the 4th line to play with MacLean and Clutterbuck/Martin.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
As for the people saying The Islanders should rebuild. Here is all the picks the Islanders traded away between 2020-2023 in the first and second round

Ridly Greig (C)
Roni Hirvonen (C)
Chase Stillman (RW)
Sean Behrens (D)
Frank Nazar (C)
Mattias Havelid (D)
Axel Sandin Pellikka (D)

Now I am no expert on prospects but I don't believe this is a group of players that would be the core of my future Stanley cup team. And this is not ment to belittle any of them, I would guess one or 2 of these guys will go on to have decent to solid NHL careers(I know Nazar has a lot of upside for instance)

Good post. Of course one would hope that Lou/his scouting staff would do a better job with those pick than that.

That said, one would/should certainly argue that Lou should've "gone for it" when Trotz was coaching and the team was younger, but now you have to wonder if the ship is starting to leak and he's still investing in it.

Reactions: The Real JT

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I don't see anybody on the market left worth a first rounder unless the Islanders can somehow swing a trade for Hannifin or Chychrun(I've suggested maybe Pelech+ for either, that way I see a slight improvement and we get a bit younger).

At this point Islanders either need a first line winger which I don't see any on the market or a bottom 6 center(if Islanders decide to keep Nelson on the first line). The bottom 6 guy can be had for much less than a 1st so Islanders are better to keep it. Now if at the Draft the Islanders can make another Romanov type deal for the first pick I am all for it.

I know people rag on Lou for trading first rounders but if you look at our roster we have 4 guys who he traded picks for(2020-2023) still on the roster(Pageau, Palmieri, Romanov and Horvat). I would say that is pretty shrewd trading where you get more than a rental for that pick
When Lou gets someone, it's a guy no one saw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad