So Who Is Bummed About The Lockout III ---> Season likely to start on Jan. 19th

bozak911

Ignoring Idiots
May 18, 2010
Minnesota
Jarick said:
If Fehr was not in charge and the NHL wasn't so aggressive with their initial offers, we might have had a deal in September...but it was clear from that 43% offer that Bettman was going to make the players sweat, so they decided to do the same thing with the league.

Again... That initial offer was no worse than the NBA's or the NFL's heading into their lockouts. All things considered, it was simply a "let's invert the numbers for a moment..." ploy.

To think that it was nothing more than the first step...

Averman

Ya, Yeo Betcha
Aug 18, 2011
The NFL and NBA weren't less than a decade removed from a missed season. It was also a signal that the owners had little to no compunction about locking out the players once again.

Fehr's a colossal ****** who either doesn't care about or understand how to win the PR battle (or about the overall financial health of the league), but Bettman and the owners created the environment where the players felt their back was up against the wall enough to bring in a tool like Fehr.

Last edited:

Dudicles

Oct 1, 2010
I'm more indifferent at this point than anything.

Part I
Part II

I've said it before, but most of the stuff discussed in this thread is repetitive.

I'm showing as much care for this that the NHL/NHLPA are for their fans and employees....that is to say I'm apathetic and slightly defiant.

It's actually been quite interesting to discover that something that was a big part of my life has been shown to be not as important as it was made out to be (did that make sense?). Not that I don't miss it, but I have a hard time cheering for, supporting, and "living and dying" for a sport that doesn't give a rip about me. Not only that, but players and owners have basically lied to us fans by telling us how important and great we are. If that were the case, they'd have done their absolute best to not forfeit any of the season (and I think we can all agree that neither side did that).

I've filled my time with other things, some of which is far more fulfilling and rewarding (such as brewing beer with my friends).

/rambling rant

Jarick

Doing Nothing
My old roommate said the same thing last week at hockey. He was surprised how little he cared that the NHL wasn't going on. We ordered Center Ice every year and watched hockey every night.

If the hardcore fans are losing interest, it's going to be a disaster for the league.

Dudicles

Oct 1, 2010
My old roommate said the same thing last week at hockey. He was surprised how little he cared that the NHL wasn't going on. We ordered Center Ice every year and watched hockey every night.

If the hardcore fans are losing interest, it's going to be a disaster for the league.

Yup. I had Center Ice or Gamecenter Live each of the past 4 years, always bought a few hats and shirts every year, bought a few tickets to games each year. I run the emotional gambit with everyone else when the team wins and loses. I also had season tickets for 4 years, but I cancelled a few seasons ago because I couldn't afford them anymore.

But I just can't in good conscience devote that much fandom (dedicated time, money, and emotion) to a sport, team, or players that have shown they don't care about anything but dollar signs, especially when it's at the expense of everyone who supports them and allows for them to become filthy stinking rich.

When the NHL comes back, I'll watch the Wild on local television, but it will take a long, long time for me to actively spend money on them or the NHL again. And I will never again invest myself so emotionally in the league. Not after losing the North Stars, the '04-'05 season, and probably this year. Nope, not falling for it again.

bozak911

Ignoring Idiots
May 18, 2010
Minnesota
meh. i'll be back.

the only "protest" that the wife and i are adopting is that we will not spend cash on NHL official merchandise until at least 2015.

why 2015?

Detroit gets the next (2014) Winter Classic... LOL.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
meh. i'll be back.

the only "protest" that the wife and i are adopting is that we will not spend cash on NHL official merchandise until at least 2015.

why 2015?

Detroit gets the next (2014) Winter Classic... LOL.

so you won't get a wheat jersey redesign for Granlund/Brodin/dumba/MacKinnon

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
so you won't get a wheat jersey redesign for Granlund/Brodin/dumba/MacKinnon

tommy.gif

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I think I'm more of the Russo school of thought: Not pro anybody...just easy to point out how everyone has done things so poorly.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Yeah you're probably right. He does acknowledge the faults of the NHL in his articles for sure...but the fact that they are acknowledgements as opposed to stand alone stories probably says something in itself.

bozak911

Ignoring Idiots
May 18, 2010
Minnesota
Russo's been pretty firmly pro-NHL throughout (at least because in his eyes the players have nothing to gain from resisting the NHL offers).

I beg to differ.

Russo has, at least, been the most objective about the entire mess. In some posts, he sounds like he is pro-player. In other posts, he sounds pro-NHL.

I think it has more to do with the reader's own perspective.

If you are pro-PA, he sounds pro-NHL. If you are pro-NHL, he sounds pro-PA.

reminds me of the study done quite a while ago on all of the cable news networks. in particular;
left of center: fox news horribly right wing / cnn centrist / msnbc slightly liberal
centrist: fox news right wing / cnn slightly left of center / msnbc left wing
right of center: fox news slightly right of center / cnn liberal / msnbc horribly left wing

/shrug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad