So who *are* the NHL's generational players?

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
so a great rookie season makes you generational? in the highest scoring year of all-time too

Bernie Nichhols had a 70 goal season
Yea Selänne is generational, almost 1500 points, best player if you ask 2 fanbases. I dont really care about your opinion, you will never agree with me anyway. Should Morenz be on this list? He wasn't even a point per game and when he played goalies were dodging shots?

Or how about Plante, was he the only one who wasnt drunk while on the ice? does that make him generational?

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
How about McDavid, is he generational for his points or his achievements?

Great point total makes him generational? In the highest scoring era too.

Yep, he is generational, just like Selänne, you think a lot of people scored 76 goals per year? in their rookie season? cmon dude.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Yea Selänne is generational, almost 1500 points, best player if you ask 2 fanbases. I dont really care about your opinion, you will never agree with me anyway. Should Morenz be on this list? He wasn't even a point per game and when he played goalies were dodging shots?

When your argument is comparing point totals from players from the 1920s, I mean.... come on

Last edited by a moderator:

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
:laugh: ok, you have A LOT of learning to do....

When your argument is comparing point totals from players from the 1920s, I mean.... come on
I have learning to do? you f***ing hero have no idea about NHL before 2020, which becomes clear by your opinions by "Teemu only having the rookie record".

Last edited by a moderator:

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
How about McDavid, is he generational for his points or his achievements?
For one, Point totals are relative to the scoring era, ie. the league avg goals/per game in a given season. eg. players from the 80s have inflated numbers because they were scoring 7-8 gpg (Im sure youve noticed). Players from around 97-03 have significantly lower numbers because they were only scoring 5-6 gpg.

feel free to analyze NHL League Averages | Hockey-Reference.com (look at G column)

McDavid has a ton of hardware, meaning hes the BEST over several seasons. And when he doesnt win the Hart or Art Ross hes probably 2nd or 3rd. As mentioned, Selanne was a Hart finalist once in almost 20 years. Its not that hard to understand.... I just listed like 10 players with similar point totals, and your argument is "yeah but he scored 76 goals as a rookie"..... so please. Stop with your "Selanne was a top 25 player of all time". Youd get laughed at if you posted this.

I have learning to do? you f***ing hero have no idea about NHL before 2020, which becomes clear by your opinions by "Teemu only having the rookie record". Please be quiet lol.
yeah you do.... trust me

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Teemu with 76 goals in his rookie season and 1500 points isn't a generational talent, but Bedard is because he scored 150 agains fire hydrants :sarcasm: yeah im just gonna mute you.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Teemu with 76 goals in his rookie season and 1500 points isn't a generational talent, but Bedard is because he scored 150 agains fire hydrants :sarcasm:yeah im just gonna mute you.
Bedard isnt generational until he proves it. Does he look like he could be? absolutely.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Going backwards:

McDavid
Crosby and Ovechkin
Lidstrom
Roy/Hasek
Lemieux
Gretzky
Orr
Howe
Richard

Hons (ie. so close): Selanne, Forsberg, Brodeur, Lindros, Jagr, Bourque, Bossy, Lafleur, Dryden, Esposito, Hull, Beliveau . . . That's about as far back as I can go.

Reactions: Deon Thompson

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Going backwards:

McDavid
Crosby and Ovechkin
Lidstrom
Roy/Hasek
Lemieux
Gretzky
Orr
Howe
Richard

Hons (ie. so close): Selanne, Forsberg, Brodeur, Lindros, Jagr, Bourque, Bossy, Lafleur, Dryden, Esposito, Hull, Beliveau . . . That's about as far back as I can go.
Your honorable list illustrates the problem i have with the term. Lindros and Forsberg are less generational than Fedorov or Sakic. Different positions, but on his own team, Trottier and Potvin were better and more important than Bossy.

Reactions: Tofveve

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Your honorable list illustrates the problem i have with the term. Lindros and Forsberg are less generational than Fedorov or Sakic. Different positions, but on his own team, Trottier and Potvin were better and more important than Bossy.

I was a huge Sakic fan growing up, got his autograph on a program at a WHL game before the horrific bus crash. In the mid nineties worked out at the same gym right beside him in White Rock. I think he and Forsberg were so close to being equals and in the end Joe's totals were way better. But on hindsight Peter was just so dominant with his body positioning and ability to basically take on a team single-handedly. I begrudgingly give him a hair of an edge over Sakic. But it could be argued the other way too. Yzerman is probably a close 3rd to those two from that same era.

I think the main thing that kept Lindros from being truly generational was the concussions. And a championship. If he played today he'd be Mr everything.

Fedorov for me is in that Forsberg/Sakic echelon for sure.

I didn't see Trottier or even Potvin in the same light as Bossy. His string of 50 goal seasons sets him apart for me, kind of like how Ovechkin's scoring gets him into the generational category (without much argument).

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
I was a huge Sakic fan growing up, got his autograph on a program at a WHL game before the horrific bus crash. In the mid nineties worked out at the same gym right beside him in White Rock. I think he and Forsberg were so close to being equals and in the end Joe's totals were way better. But on hindsight Peter was just so dominant with his body positioning and ability to basically take on a team single-handedly. I begrudgingly give him a hair of an edge over Sakic. But it could be argued the other way too. Yzerman is probably a close 3rd to those two from that same era.

I think the main thing that kept Lindros from being truly generational was the concussions. And a championship. If he played today he'd be Mr everything.

Fedorov for me is in that Forsberg/Sakic echelon for sure.

I didn't see Trottier or even Potvin in the same light as Bossy. His string of 50 goal seasons sets him apart for me, kind of like how Ovechkin's scoring gets him into the generational category (without much argument).
Of the 3 Isles, Potvin was the best at his position. Bossy was a great scorer, but he gets a lot of credit from most due to a lack of longevity. A good comparison, albeit even a shorter peak, would be Pavel Bure. A lot of what ifs.

The same with Lindros and the short time he was healthy. And Forsberg usually gets the edge over Sakic for similar reasons. I'm still waiting to see someone argue the same about Pat LaFontaine.

Reactions: Tofveve

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
No to:

Vezina - The game was too different and the league too small compared to subsequent eras to be considered, imo.

Richard - Same as above.

Bossy - Was never at any point considered the best player in the world (BPITW), which is a minimum requirement of the “generational” label, imo.

Dryden - Was a cog in the big 70s Canadiens machine, an important cog, but still. Was never considered BPITW. Many argue he was more of a product of the teams he played on. While that may not be entirely true, the argument has some merit.

Potvin - Never the BPITW.

Lidstrom - He was incredibly consistent, more than anything else. But he was never the BPITW (he may not have ever even been the best player on his own team), and the gap between him and his contemporaries was often very small. In fact, many feel that he was gifted Norris Trophies on reputation more than once. Consistency and longevity is what set him apart. That doesn’t mean generational. If he’s generational, then so are guys like Ray Bourque, Doug Harvey, Paul Coffey, Brad Park, Brian Leetch, many of whom peaked higher than Lidstrom. No.

Lindros - Was a generational prospect for sure, but whether it was injuries or something else, he never quite lived up to the hype, which is amazing because he was a great player. If he was ever considered BPITW, it was very, very briefly, and probably had more to do with hype than reality.

Kane - Was never BPITW. You can point point to his trophies, but would you do the same for guys like Sakic, Trottier, Yzerman, Messier, Dionne, Lafleur, Forsberg, etc who are in the same category? The list starts getting pretty long.

Malkin - Same as above.

Matthews - LOL.

Bedard - Maybe a generational prospect.

Last edited:

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
This is a great list which i have no arguments against. Possibly could add someone but not sure who, all in all a very good list.

Edit: it's missing Selänne at least.

Or how about some all time greats from the Soviet teams, few of them need to be on this list. And this is coming from a dude who really don't like the current situation with russians.

Teemu Selanne!?! Hahahahaha. Loved him as a player, not even remotely close to generational. He has a couple of individual awards, and who knows what could have been without the knee injury, but laughable to suggest generational.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Teemu Selanne!?! Hahahahaha. Loved him as a player, not even remotely close to generational. He has a couple of individual awards, and who knows what could have been without the knee injury, but laughable to suggest generational.
Guy is digging his heels in on that until he gets to China. Absurd 😂. He’s probably Finnish, tbh, which would explain it lmao.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Help me out because I don't know my hockey history that well.

Lost Generation (1885 - 1910)
  • Georges Vezina
Greatest Generation (1911 - 1924)
  • Maurice Richard
Silent Generation (1925 - 1945)
  • Gordie Howe
Baby Boomers (1946 - 1962)
  • Wayne Gretzky
  • Bobby Orr
Gen X (1963 - 1979)
  • Mario Lemieux
Millennials (1980 - 1996)