So which system do you like better?

Sep 13, 2009
Brent Sutter's all defence-no offence system, or Bob Hartley's all offence-no defence system? :huh:

One system (Hartley's) is more entertaining than the other, but the other (Sutter's) will show more push-back/gumption. Both systems will result in more losses than wins, however.

Too bad we can't get a coach to teach both.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
I'll take Hartley. I want to be entertained while the Flames lose their games.

But credit to Sutter: he turned a mediocre team to one that was pretty solid defence wise. I guess you don't know what you have until it is gone.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Very presumptuous. Sutter was given 3 years while Hartely hasn't seen 3 months. But so far Ill take Hartely any day. While defense wins cups, offense inflates player value.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Brent Sutter's all defence-no offence system, or Bob Hartley's all offence-no defence system? :huh:

One system (Hartley's) is more entertaining than the other, but the other (Sutter's) will show more push-back/gumption. Both systems will result in more losses than wins, however.

Too bad we can't get a coach to teach both.

Or get a roster assembled that can do both. I wouldn't pin this horrid defense entirely on Hartley. I've been saying this for a while now - the Flames can either play defense or offense, but not both at the same time. And the roster assembled has a lot to do with that.

While Brent Sutter was head coach, the team did not have a lot of offensive depth. With Hartley as coach, you have a really skilled team with more than a few players who are very questionable defensively (Cammalleri, Wideman, Cervenka, etc.).

As for the systems, at least Hartley's is entertaining. With Sutter you were not only bored out of your mind, but the Flames didn't win much either.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Or get a roster assembled that can do both. I wouldn't pin this horrid defense entirely on Hartley. I've been saying this for a while now - the Flames can either play defense or offense, but not both at the same time. And the roster assembled has a lot to do with that.

While Brent Sutter was head coach, the team did not have a lot of offensive depth. With Hartley as coach, you have a really skilled team with more than a few players who are very questionable defensively (Cammalleri, Wideman, Cervenka, etc.).

Interesting point, I never considered that.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Hartley's and he also hasn't had Kipper bailing them out for a full season. How many 2-1, 1-0, 2-0 losses did the flames have under Sutter.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Interesting point, I never considered that.

Yeah, management always seems to overcompensate system shifts. It's never enough to just change the coach when looking to go from an defensive system to a offensive system (or the reverse), and maybe make a few tweaks to the roster. No, they have to make wholesale changes that simply move the team to the other extreme.

I still think Hartley, if given the chance, could make it work though. He needs time however, and the lack of a proper training camp, no pre-season games and a shortened season significantly hurt the implementation of his system. That and weak centre depth and a general lack of good two-way players. By the times the Flames get going it'll be too late.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I like Hartley's system, makes for a fun game to watch and at least the Flames don't look like they are giving up all the time.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
I am gonna go with Hartley's system as well, but like many of you suggested its too early to judge yet. Also I think Hartley's having a hard time dealing with injuries right now. We're still missing Baertschi, Backlund, Kipper right now and with them I think we would have less inconsistency due to the depth and a better chance of winning. It is a little discouraging though to get all amped up after scoring 7 goals and thinking theyre gona get rolling, to a tough loss in St.Louis like this.

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
I think we might of underrated Brent Sutter.

Head coach: BOB Hartly, offense

Assistant: Brent Sutter, Defense

Assistant: Anyone that can make good lines

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think we might of underrated Brent Sutter.

Head coach: BOB Hartly, offense

Assistant: Brent Sutter, Defense

Assistant: Anyone that can make good lines

I don't think so we all knew Sutter could coach defense that was never in question, we just thought he couldn't be a successful head coach with this roster and his coaching style and he proved us right.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Sutter didn't play players to their strenghts, and that was his biggest flaw.

Regardless that both coaches can't seem to win games, we're seeing guys like Bouwmeester, Stajan, Backlund, Brodie, etc. play a good hockey game.

While I'll admit Sutter did a good job converting Jokinen, he didn't do a good job with anyone else.

Nightfx

Nov 23, 2009
Calgary
I would almost write games off if the other team had a 1 goal lead under B.Sutter, 2 goal lead was a sure loss.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Sutter didn't play players to their strenghts, and that was his biggest flaw.

Regardless that both coaches can't seem to win games, we're seeing guys like Bouwmeester, Stajan, Backlund, Brodie, etc. play a good hockey game.

While I'll admit Sutter did a good job converting Jokinen, he didn't do a good job with anyone else.

The grind it out type players usually thrive under Sutter, when it comes to talent Sutter just doesn't know what to do with it. I think Sutter has a lot to do with how Glencross ended up.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
The Flames haven't had the offensive flair like they do know for years. The way we pass the puck and D jump up in play is great. I don't know about you, but when Hudler Tanguay and Cervenka do their little magic, I get a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside :nod:

Sep 13, 2009
The Flames haven't had the offensive flair like they do know for years. The way we pass the puck and D jump up in play is great. I don't know about you, but when Hudler Tanguay and Cervenka do their little magic, I get a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside :nod:

What about when Comeau does his little magic? :biglaugh:

The correct answer is, BOTH systems suck! Actually, the correct answer is, the PLAYERS all suck! :cry:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
We have only seen 13 games in Hartleys new system, so despite what anyone says we don't know if it will be better or worse than Butters, yet.

I think we can all agree that Hartleys system makes the team much more exciting to watch though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad