So where are the Canucks putting their affiliate? UPD: Utica NY

WolfKeeper

Aug 14, 2003
outside Chicago
www.wolfkeeper.org
I haven't heard who your opponents will be yet. Don't assume your neighbors. I heard a rumor Utica would stay in the Western Conference temporarily because the AHL doesn't want to rock the boat on re-alignment again. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but this is the AHL we're talking about.

The Hutch

May 1, 2010
New Westminster, BC
I don't see how Utica is viable financially with only 3800 seats for hockey. Abbotsford averaged that much and is in hole to the tune of over 1.5 million dollars.

Attendance means nothing if your costs prevent ticket sales from turning you a profit. Their average is also generously inflated by visits from the Canucks farm team, and during the lockout when the Oilers prospects came to town.

And no matter what they put in the numbers, they couldn't draw flies during their playoff run last season. With less time to sell tickets, they couldn't even get 1,000 people to come out for their second round loss to the Marlies.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
I haven't heard who your opponents will be yet. Don't assume your neighbors. I heard a rumor Utica would stay in the Western Conference temporarily because the AHL doesn't want to rock the boat on re-alignment again. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but this is the AHL we're talking about.

Even if they stay in the West it's irrelevant since the AHL doesn't play a balanced schedule. When Rochester was in the "West" they still played a large number of games against East opponents Syracuse, Binghamton and Albany.

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
If they do end up in Utica, I'd be surprised to see the Devils there fewer than five times. Lou has to be licking his chops at another day trip destination. Realignment would be interesting, as the NYS teams would make a logical division, but there are six teams. Seems like Wild to Midwest, Norfolk to South, the Utica to East seems to make the most sense, whatever that's worth.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Even if they stay in the West it's irrelevant since the AHL doesn't play a balanced schedule. When Rochester was in the "West" they still played a large number of games against East opponents Syracuse, Binghamton and Albany.

And none against Milwaukee. I believe that Chicago didn't play the Amerks last season. The Amerks did play Grand Rapids.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
And none against Milwaukee. I believe that Chicago didn't play the Amerks last season. The Amerks did play Grand Rapids.

Who are these Amerks of which you speak? :nod::handclap::laugh: Chicago doesnot know of them anymore. There used to be an AHL team that came here with that name but the lord on high Dave said "no more shall Chicago play any US teams that are east of Cleveland and North of the Carolinas. Thus it has come to pass and is now known as the truth.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Who are these Amerks of which you speak? :nod::handclap::laugh: Chicago doesnot know of them anymore. There used to be an AHL team that came here with that name but the lord on high Dave said "no more shall Chicago play any US teams that are east of Cleveland and North of the Carolinas. Thus it has come to pass and is now known as the truth.

You made me laugh with that post!

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
Wish the AHL would take a page from the NCAA hockey conferences and not book a half dozen games in the schedule and let the AHL teams figure it out amongst themselves as to who they want to play. If Syracuse wants to play someone close for those six, go for it. If Chicago wants to play the Icecaps, go for it. If the AHL team wants to pull an Ivy league and not play as many games, well, that's their problem.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Wish the AHL would take a page from the NCAA hockey conferences and not book a half dozen games in the schedule and let the AHL teams figure it out amongst themselves as to who they want to play. If Syracuse wants to play someone close for those six, go for it. If Chicago wants to play the Icecaps, go for it. If the AHL team wants to pull an Ivy league and not play as many games, well, that's their problem.

In college you can do that since the playoffs are determined by conference and national rankings. In a league where you make the playoffs based on points what you are suggesting won't work. Besides, teams aren't going to schedule fewer games since that means less ticket revenue.

However AHL teams currently have the ability to play whatever teams they want under the caveat that if they host a team, they have to travel to that team. It is each team's decision to travel or not.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Attendance means nothing if your costs prevent ticket sales from turning you a profit. Their average is also generously inflated by visits from the Canucks farm team, and during the lockout when the Oilers prospects came to town.

And no matter what they put in the numbers, they couldn't draw flies during their playoff run last season. With less time to sell tickets, they couldn't even get 1,000 people to come out for their second round loss to the Marlies.

That kind of surprises me as there still is a rather sizable amount of Leaffans out here.

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
Awww. That's so sweet that the Baby Canucks can be tucked in their beds with their teddy bears an hour and a half after road games end! Apparently it was something the prospects missed while being treated like NHL'ers in Chicago...

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Jerseys are nice

Jerseys:

7e3mpUi.jpg

A0Rmfl3.jpg

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Wish teams in the AHL had their own jersey's, would make it better. Also, I see them doing well there in terms of attendance. There's another 5 teams in New York alone with another 10 teams in bordering/nearby states.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad