So where are the Canucks putting their affiliate? UPD: Utica NY

SaucyNavel

Sep 14, 2007
Vancouver
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 18m
The #Canucks to Utica - hearing the AHL will vote on June 13th. Big day for Canucks.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
Why doesn't Vancouver go to Houston?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Minnesota was forced out because their rent was going from like $24k a game to $42k a game. The owner of the Rockets and the arena wants more concerts so he jacked up the rent.

Russ2582

Mar 3, 2007
Freehold, NJ
www.twitter.com
Its a shame that no one decided to put there AHL team in Fort Wayne (Komets), image having three cities that have supported minor league hockey in the same league together. Hershey, Rochester and Fort Wayne.

Chewy63

Jun 1, 2013
Canada
just put a team in seattle or around that area, makes the most sense whether its temporary or permanent. Being in that location it is a good spot for the Canucks as travel between AHL and NHL would be a lot easier and also be a great travel partner with Abbotsford, as abbotsford is so isolated and the only west coast team in the ahl. Would be good for teams to come out west and play both teams

The Hutch

May 1, 2010
New Westminster, BC
There's a reason why the Seattle Thunderbirds moved 20 miles to Kent. The arena formerly known as Key is not built for hockey. The arena configuration for hockey causes the scoreboard to be off-center, and that creates problematic sight lines. So without a new arena, I can't see the city proper being able to house a team.

Chewy63

Jun 1, 2013
Canada
There's a reason why the Seattle Thunderbirds moved 20 miles to Kent. The arena formerly known as Key is not built for hockey. The arena configuration for hockey causes the scoreboard to be off-center, and that creates problematic sight lines. So without a new arena, I can't see the city proper being able to house a team.

Where the Charlotte Checkers play, The Time Warner Cable Arena, their scoreboard is off center too and clearly fans didnt mind as they ranked top 10 in AHL average attendance. So i just dont think the whole off center jumbotron plays a role in turning away fans or a future hockey team

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
Rockford actually placed their new video scoreboard off-center when it was installed a few years back.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
991_Rochester_Americans_Game_Action

Close, but no cigar.

The Hutch

May 1, 2010
New Westminster, BC
Thanks for the clarifications, guys. I only knew that the T-Birds left for Kent because of issues like that one. Someone else probably knows better about their situation.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Its a shame that no one decided to put there AHL team in Fort Wayne (Komets), image having three cities that have supported minor league hockey in the same league together. Hershey, Rochester and Fort Wayne.

The Frankes are making significant money at the mid-minors level, according to most conventional wisdom and indicators -- whether it was in the UHL, the IHL, the CHL, or the ECHL. I can understand their calculus about not wanting to go the AHL route -- the increased costs could be hard to make up with any ticket price increases (since demand is at least partially elastic).

And remember, teams can't just "decide" to go into a city. They need a lease with a venue, and the Frankes have the only viable venue locked up right now.

There are financial reasons that Fort Wayne isn't in the AHL. If you can make a presentation to the Frankes to change their minds, I'm sure they could find a portable AHL franchise to buy -- but so far no one has managed to do so.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

The Frankies don't want it. Would limit the amount of control they have over their roster and winning. Plus like Hans said. It's cheaper to run a AA franchise and with their good attendance they can make cash.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
just put a team in seattle or around that area, makes the most sense whether its temporary or permanent. Being in that location it is a good spot for the Canucks as travel between AHL and NHL would be a lot easier and also be a great travel partner with Abbotsford, as abbotsford is so isolated and the only west coast team in the ahl. Would be good for teams to come out west and play both teams

Seattle? Talk about being on an island like Abbotsford, Can't see many owners voting that along.

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
Remember that the AHL BoG is made up basically of the owners of the AHL teams, not much else. I'm guessing that the NY-PENN-Western Mass and probably CT owners would rather have an opponent nearby- no hotels, one day bus trip, etc.

And Vancouver had Syracuse as it's AHL squad for quite a while. Many people I know from Utica say they're from "near Syracuse". They're very close. I really can't believe that there is an AHL team going into Utica, it's was an Erie Canal town, then hung on through the glory days of steam railroads. Now there's a big brewery (Saranac is the most popular brand) there and I guess the Greek yogurt business outside of the city is pretty big. Beside that I'm not sure what goes on. Having been to a game there a couple of years ago and in town for a wedding last year, I really can't believe this is possible. It makes the GFCC in Glens Falls look like MSG in Manhattan. But I hope it does work, it's a bit over an hour from here, basically putting 4 teams (ADK, SPG, ALB as well) within a 90 minute drive from home.

Very interesting trend in the league, moving to smaller cities like Utica and Glens Falls (and likely Allentown) over the second fiddle option in larger cities.

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
In Glens Falls, Albany played 4 games there in 06-07, then I believe 5 there in each of the following two years. This was the choice of the Rats, it wasn't like they were shut out of the arena (except for three in (06-07). At that point there was talk that NYR or NYI would be interested in moving there possibly. I personally spoke to one of the men who talked with NYI officials (or at least claimed to), so I'd guess there was some truth to that. I'd guess that a team in Utica makes GF a more desirable location for teams looking to keep costs down.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Seattle? Talk about being on an island like Abbotsford, Can't see many owners voting that along.

Um, you do know how close Seattle is to Abbotsford, right? 117 miles from Key Arena to the Abbotsford Sports and Entertainment Centre.

Frankly, that's a reason for a lot of the "I don't like to travel" Eastern owners to shut up and vote for Seattle -- one plane flight, one bus trip, two teams, maybe as many as four road games out of the way. Much better than the "fly out for three games in three or four nights" schedule.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Um, you do know how close Seattle is to Abbotsford, right? 117 miles from Key Arena to the Abbotsford Sports and Entertainment Centre.

Frankly, that's a reason for a lot of the "I don't like to travel" Eastern owners to shut up and vote for Seattle -- one plane flight, one bus trip, two teams, maybe as many as four road games out of the way. Much better than the "fly out for three games in three or four nights" schedule.

Hans, how long you been on here??? All this time and you are STILL suggesting the AHL owners doing something that makes sense. You are the eternal optimist!! :5::biglaugh::vhappy:

WolfKeeper

Aug 14, 2003
outside Chicago
www.wolfkeeper.org
Sure Seattle might make sense distance-wise but it doesn't appear Vancouver wants to worry about running the business, just hockey ops. And they're not interested in losing money or staying any where long term because they ultimately want to be in Abbotsford. No one wants them because anything is short-term and there's been no time to organize or advertise a team.

They should just suck it up and go dormant. Peoria was their best hope.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Sure Seattle might make sense distance-wise but it doesn't appear Vancouver wants to worry about running the business, just hockey ops. And they're not interested in losing money or staying any where long term because they ultimately want to be in Abbotsford. No one wants them because anything is short-term and there's been no time to organize or advertise a team.

They should just suck it up and go dormant. Peoria was their best hope.

So I guess you are saying that they are better off going dormant then going to Utica?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBh895KdXAU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Whiskers06

May 19, 2011
Hoquiam, Wa
Thanks for the clarifications, guys. I only knew that the T-Birds left for Kent because of issues like that one. Someone else probably knows better about their situation.

I believe the reason the Thunderbirds left was because of the configuration of the hockey set-up. It does not bode well for the fans to actually watch the game. Also the Thunderbirds negotiated with the City of Seattle to get out of their lease to have the Sho Ware Center built.

File:Keyarena-hockey.jpg

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I don't see how Utica is viable financially with only 3800 seats for hockey. Abbotsford averaged that much and is in hole to the tune of over 1.5 million dollars.
Abbotsford's closest rival is over 1500 miles away. Utica's will be Syracuse which is less than 50 miles away and one of 5 other Upstate, NY rivals all of which will be less than a 2.5 hour drive. Utica will have a very low cost structure and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the capacity will be increased by adding seats to the stage area similar to what they did in Syracuse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad