So, When Does Larkin get named Captain?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Never, because Seider is elite, lol.

Besides that, we have no idea who the coach will be next season and when Chris will start shelling out money to UFAs. Not to mention that the team will probably have high draft picks for 2 more seasons. This team isn't going anywhere if Larkin continues to be the best player on the team, the team needs significantly more talent to compete for a Cup.

You do realize that you don't have to be the best player on the team to be the captain, right...

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You do realize that you don't have to be the best player on the team to be the captain, right...
You do realize that you don't need to be a dick to make a point, right?

More often than not, the captain is one of the best players. Look at current captains, the only ones with scrubs as captains are other cellar dwellers.

Reactions: SimplySolace

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
You do realize that you don't need to be a dick to make a point, right?

More often than not, the captain is one of the best players. Look at current captains, the only ones with scrubs as captains are other cellar dwellers.

Giordano - Arguably not the best player.
J. Staal - Not the best player. Not by a long shot.
Toews - Not the best player and never was.
Landeskog - Not the best player.
Foligno - Not even close to the best player.
Benn - Arguably not the best player.
Kopitar - Arguably not the best player.
Lee - Not even close to the best player.
Couture - Not the best player.
Stamkos - Arguably not the best player. (That's how stacked Tampa is)
Tavares - Arguably not the best player. (Thank Matthews spreading his cheeks for Tavares being captain)
Horvat - Not the best player.

That's a lot of teams with a captain who isn't their best player... That's not even including guys like Getzlaf and Chara, seeing as they've been long-standing captains who are now just aged out.

Pointing out the ridiculousness of your post isn't, "Being a dick".

Also, please tell me the Seider suggestion was a joke...

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Tavares - Arguably not the best player. (Thank Matthews spreading his cheeks for Tavares being captain)

That's a lot of teams with a captain who isn't their best player... That's not even including guys like Getzlaf and Chara, seeing as they've been long-standing captains who are now just aged out.

Stamkos, Kopitar, and Tavares were the best players on their team at one point in their career. Few of the others were one of the top players, even though they weren't the best. There are certainly cases where the best player might not be qualified to be the captain based on personality, language barrier, etc.

Captains certainly "age out", you can even say that about Yzerman and Sakic, it happens. Teams usually don't change captains when they get old. If anything is ridiculous, it's your post. It's like you just started watching hockey 2 years ago.

I was being facetious about Seider, the whole "elite" thing is an ongoing joke. Quite frankly, this team doesn't have a captain because no player has made a compelling case to be the captain.

So tell me, who's your pick for Captain and why?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Stamkos, Kopitar, and Tavares were the best players on their team at one point in their career. Few of the others were one of the top players, even though they weren't the best. There are certainly cases where the best player might not be qualified to be the captain based on personality, language barrier, etc.

Captains certainly "age out", you can even say that about Yzerman and Sakic, it happens. Teams usually don't change captains when they get old. If anything is ridiculous, it's your post. It's like you just started watching hockey 2 years ago.

I was being facetious about Seider, the whole "elite" thing is an ongoing joke. Quite frankly, this team doesn't have a captain because no player has made a compelling case to be the captain.

So tell me, who's your pick for Captain and why?

Larkin is pretty clearly the obvious choice. His maturity and leadership have been known since the day he was drafted.

End of the day, if you put it off, you're gonna be putting it off for a long while. There's nobody on the current team more worthy of it than Larkin, and there's no reason the blue-chip prospects should be sniffing it for the next five years. They need to worry about becoming high-end NHL players, not leading a team.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Larkin is pretty clearly the obvious choice. His maturity and leadership have been known since the day he was drafted.

End of the day, if you put it off, you're gonna be putting it off for a long while. There's nobody on the current team more worthy of it than Larkin, and there's no reason the blue-chip prospects should be sniffing it for the next five years. They need to worry about becoming high-end NHL players, not leading a team.

and ultimately there's just no real downside to it

do the Wings need better players than Larkin? yeah

but he's still a good enough player that he'll be a core piece for the next decade or so so this isn't someone the Wings would be forcing themselves to keep around just because they made him captain either

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Seider hates to lose most of our group = Captain.

I'd like him to be our identity. Every guy should play like like Seider. That would be a war at every shift. :P

Larkin and Raymond A's in the near future.

2022 first pick could also come in consideration.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Seider hates to lose most of our group = Captain.

I'd like him to be our identity. Every guy should play like like Seider. That would be a war at every shift. :P

Larkin and Raymond A's in the near future.

2022 first pick could also come in consideration.
For all we know, Seider could get hit by a bus tomorrow and never play a shift in the NHL. If I think Larkin has no business being captain, that's one thing. But I'm not just going to not have a captain because I think somebody MIGHT be a better one in a few years. Just give the C to Dylan and be done with it.

Some fans act like wearing a letter is holier than the Hall of Fame or getting your jersey in the rafters. Pick some guys that show up to work the way you want everybody to play, give them a letter, and move on.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
For all we know, Seider could get hit by a bus tomorrow and never play a shift in the NHL. If I think Larkin has no business being captain, that's one thing. But I'm not just going to not have a captain because I think somebody MIGHT be a better one in a few years. Just give the C to Dylan and be done with it.

Some fans act like wearing a letter is holier than the Hall of Fame or getting your jersey in the rafters. Pick some guys that show up to work the way you want everybody to play, give them a letter, and move on.

It means something special to an original 6 franchise. Our last 3 captains are either in the hall or on their way in the future. That's big shoes to fill for Larkin. The dude is good, but he's our Dale McCourt before we find our next Steve Yzerman.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
For all we know, Seider could get hit by a bus tomorrow and never play a shift in the NHL.

What if it's Larkin hit by a bus ?

Pick some guys that show up to work the way you want everybody to play, give them a letter, and move on.

And Seider is the guy you are calling. He is going to war at every shift.

You know, C's are given for Captain types:

MoritzGER-1024x759.jpg

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Shiny toy syndrome at its best. Larkin is 100% captain material.

Still have hard time to find Larkin's Captaincies from his old teams. He has usually been A.

I think in bigger picture, it would be better him to have the side role, because as Michiganer his role is already too big with media etc. I wouldn't grow it anymore.

He would be ideal to be that "media-captain" with A and somebody else to be that real on-ice and lockerroom Captain.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

I do think there's a potential issue in creating an incentive to keeping around guys even if you might be better off getting rid of them though

it's not really a concern I have with Larkin but i'd be pretty wary of giving it to someone like a Bertuzzi and "locking" yourself into keeping him into his 30s even if he'd make good captain

i'd understand being hesitant to give it to Larkin if someone thought he wasn't quite good enough to rise above that concern

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

Zetterberg , was not the best player

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's unbelievable how quickly Larkin has gotten under appreciated around here... or so it seems.

He is not under appreciated. I've loved all out assistant Captains like Fedorov in the past just like I love and appreciate Larkin.

This feels more that some michiganers are being butthurt, if a Michiganer is not the Detroit Captain.

Yzerman could see it in a different way.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Zetterberg , was not the best player

You could argue Yzerman wasn't the best in the last half of his captaincy either. Early 90s, he obviously was. Late 90s, on the nights Fedorov wanted to be better, he was. Early to mid 2000s, Lidstrom was better.

It almost seems wrong to slight Yzerman like that, but that team was just in a period where they had several franchise talents and one generational.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I love Seider too...but..

He has not even played one second of real NHL action. Let's relax a bit..

Larkin will get the C, I don't know why they are delaying the inevitable.

at this point probably partly because the teams so awful

reduce the amount of time Larkin has to officially be captain of this mess a bit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad