Speculation: So ... What's Next?

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
He's not going to just walk away from $11M.

He doesn't have to. A buyout is not so bad from the player's perspective, he'll get paid a significant amount up front, and he'll be free to earn whatever teams will give him. Drouin, even at his best, is probably not worth what MB signed him for, but if he gets bought out and signs for half that in a lower pressure market he'll probably end up with more money overall in a role that he can do well in.

I don't see why the habs would buy him out. Either let him do LTIR or let him prove he can play and keep or trade him. It's not like he stunk last year, he started off fine and dropped off a cliff. He's proven he can play a certain role, at times, the habs should try to obtain value for that.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I don't believe drouin has negative value. I think there would be a number of teams willing to add a skill player like that and understanding that a big part of drouins inability to remain consistent is because of where he's playing. I believe st.louis could be one and tarasenko is a player we should target

Drouin has no value. He’s literally broken and an enormous risk for 2 more years at his cap. We have to come up for a solution for him at this point.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Drouin has no value. He’s literally broken and an enormous risk for 2 more years at his cap. We have to come up for a solution for him at this point.
We don't know his situation. I wouldn't say he has no value.

He could be dealt for a guy like Tarasenko for example who wants out. Tarasenko is busted up but if he returns to form would be worth his contract. Plus he's only got a year or two left. He could be packaged for a guy like Jones...

It really depends on his situation but if he's got things under control then teams will want him. If nothing else, Seattle would take him.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Bashing Drouin as though he was a quitter and couldn't care less without even knowing what ails him. Pretty callous, IMO.

"He's broken, he's finished, he's a quitter, he's..."
That’s a rare few. Don’t paint us all with a broad brush. But in reality a change of scenery is best for both parties

Reactions: Holystik

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
That’s a rare few. Don’t paint us all with a broad brush. But in reality a change of scenery is best for both parties

Eh, not actually a reality. We've got no idea what's best for him. This could be exactly the place he needs to be. What's likely best for the team is that he comes back and performs at a high level - either just delivering on his contract or increasing his trade value.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I really hope that MB finally wakes up to needing an LD. A mobile LD who can log serious minutes and put the puck into the other zone. If we can do that it'll make a world of difference. No more f***ing around with bargain bin type pickups. Get a real D who can help us.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I really hope that MB finally wakes up to needing an LD. A mobile LD who can log serious minutes and put the puck into the other zone. If we can do that it'll make a world of difference. No more f***ing around with bargain bin type pickups. Get a real D who can help us.

I mentioned Hamilton earlier. But he is actually a RD. It still might not be a bad idea if the habs want to relieve Weber of some load, especially for the regular season.

Weber hasn't shown he can stay healthy over the course a season ever since he got here.

While Hamilton isn't as vicious as chiarot, edmundson, or Weber, he is still a big guy, and no less physical than Petry.

I'd say he helps out with the PP, and puck moving moving aspect, while keeping the identity of the habs defense intact.

Last edited:
Reactions: True Tick and Tin

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I mentioned Hamilton earlier. But he is actually a RD. It still might not be a bad idea if the habs want to relieve Weber of some load, especially for the regular season.

Weber hasn't shown he can stay healthy over the course a season ever since he got here.

While Hamilton isn't as vicious as chiarot, edmundson, or Weber, he is still a big guy, and no less physical than Petry.

I'd say he helps out with the PP, and puck moving moving aspect, while keeping the identity of the habs defense intact.
There's no way we can afford both Hamiltons' and Webers' cap hits. It doesn't resolve the need for Weber's partner either.

Hamilton would require $8M. I don't think he's the kind of defenceman you pay such money. I'd pass on him.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Bashing Drouin as though he was a quitter and couldn't care less without even knowing what ails him. Pretty callous, IMO.

"He's broken, he's finished, he's a quitter, he's..."
Some are empathetic to his condition but still would want him off the team for hockey and salary cap reasons.

Can be of both worlds. And that's ok.

Jul 6, 2016
Colorado will have very big cap problems in a near future. Let's get Girard.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest

Screenshot 2021-07-12 231016.jpg

Reactions: Walrus26

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes