So What is the 2019 Playoff "Storyline"?

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Officiating is the big 1 for me. I wonder how different things would have been had the officating hadn't been so ? during the playoffs.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Both teams got away with stuff last night, but I'm fine with the refs being consistent and not calling anything last night.
I counted maybe 4 penalties that could have been called. A slash late in the game, tripping penalty on Macavoy, couple iffy interference calls (that usually don't get called but should get called in the playoffs anyways), and a tit-for-tat glove punch roughing penalties. Rest of the game was really quite clean I feel.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
I counted maybe 4 penalties that could have been called. A slash late in the game, tripping penalty on Macavoy, couple iffy interference calls (that usually don't get called but should get called in the playoffs anyways), and a tit-for-tat glove punch roughing penalties. Rest of the game was really quite clean I feel.

I mean the ones I saw were mostly pace of play stuff. The three that I can think of are Maroon being interfered with by Krug, Dunn high stick, and Steen being hooked by someone.

As long as it wasn't boarding or goalie interference(which there weren't any of those last night), I had no problems.

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Easy: underdog team. in basement mid-season, wins with old style, physical, defensive hockey.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
I mean the ones I saw were mostly pace of play stuff. The three that I can think of are Maroon being interfered with by Krug, Dunn high stick, and Steen being hooked by someone.

As long as it wasn't boarding or goalie interference(which there weren't any of those last night), I had no problems.

Brutal interference by Chara early in the game stands out in my memory.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I think in a few years we'll look back at this playoff as the emergence or breakthrough of some teams that will be at or around the top of the league for a while to come.

Dallas, Colorado, Calgary, NYI, Carolina, and of course, St. Louis should all be set up to continue their excellent play into the future. Possibly Columbus as well, but we'll have to see about their FA situation. With some of the 'traditional' franchises of the past decade (Pitt, Wash, SJ, Bos, Chi, LAK) starting to get up there in age that crop of teams could be the ones that carry this team through the next stage of the league.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
What sticks out for me....

Round 1! The top dawgs going down.... Wildcard runs. MacKinnon virtually unstoppable, The sweeps. The Jerks.
The Major Penalty. I'm calling it now : VGK, 2020 Stanley Cup Champs, Mark Stone, Conn Smythe.
San Jose being shredded by injuries and we were still on the verge of seeing Joe Thornton vs the Bruins.
Blues :Worst to first. #50. Size, speed and physicality dominate this playoffs. The Blues relentlessness.
Marchand's tears.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
The highlight was a historic call against Vegas, in game 7, that helped San Jose win that series.

That being the storyline is pathetic and sums up why the playoffs this year were just brutal.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Thought it was a fairly lackluster playoffs overall but I did enjoy the Finals. The officiating being terrible kind of dampened any excitement. At least one egregiously bad call in every round.

The Blues storyline is a positive one though. Don't see a last place team in January come back to win a cup on the backs of a rookie goalie and new coach very often(ever).

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think the theme is that the playoffs any team can win series, however you need a certain something to win it all. Boston and St. Louis really proved that you do need a talented roster to win a cup (best teams in NHL since January/February) but you need to take care of business because the competition is closer than people think. Tampa proved this. I think with it being so close talent wise, the team that is not always physically tougher but mentally toughest wins it at the end. The pressure to win only gets harder as the playoffs go on. True champions prevail.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
That 1) anything can happen in the sport of hockey and 2) Officiating can and will make or break series.

The state of officiating this playoffs was unfortunate because it is going to be one of the bigger talking points this off season and one of the main things remembered from this year in general.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Just posted this in another thread, but just realized it probably belongs in this one instead.

The 1st round I thought was great overall. But almost everything after round 1 was pretty lackluster all round. Everything from the road teams winning, the blowouts, the lack of drama and hate. The league needs to find a way to inject or manufacture some excitement in the game because in terms of entertainment level, I think hockey on average lags behind the Big 3 by a fair margin.

The potential for greatness is unbelievable as we witnessed with the Sharks-Knights series and game 7. But we rarely see that. The NHL really gets in its own ways quite often. Whether it be the awful officiating, rules that eliminate goals, boring coaching tactics, stifling player personalities and etc. The game just feels like it has more to offer but it’s being pushed down by too many external factors.

MarkSTL

May 24, 2019
Haven't seen anybody mention JacksNYB storyline. Kinda cool that some players on the worst team in the league go to a bar in Philly and end up with a new fanbase and a locker room song that kicks off an 11 game winning streak.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Haven't seen anybody mention JacksNYB storyline. Kinda cool that some players on the worst team in the league go to a bar in Philly and end up with a new fanbase and a locker room song that kicks off an 11 game winning streak.

Too small of a story and too regional. Plus it really didn't happen during the playoffs.

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
Has to be the Rise of Binnington.

I had never heard of him before the playoffs.

Also Islanders sweeping Pens and then getting swept by Hurricanes (WHO had already eliminated the reigning SC winner) was pretty solid.

Jackets sweeping Tampa was also pretty sick.

Best series has to be, Dallas vs St Louis, TML vs Boston and Boston vs St Louis

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Blues getting their first cup is the top story. Especially considering they were last in the league at one point.

Jackets sweeping Tampa is one of the biggest upsets I can remember. That was huge.

The teams that lost in the first round overall was pretty crazy.

The officiating was quite possibly the worst any of us have ever seen.

Reactions: optimus2861

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Famous examples of choking [edit]
See also: Choke (sports)
  • 1996 Masters golf tournament, Greg Norman lost to Nick Faldo
  • 1993 Wimbledon women's final, Jana Novotná lost to Steffi Graf
  • 2011 Masters golf tournament, Rory McIlroy started the final day first, but dropped 8 shots in 3 holes at the turn.
  • 2019 President's Trophy winning Tampa Bay Lightning swept by 8th seed Columbus Blue Jackets in round 1 of the NHL playoffs.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Officiating majorly affecting multiple series, including the Final (NOT saying the Blues didn’t earn it.)

This year was flat out embarrassing.

But it goes to show what I was saying about people trying to * the Sharks victories... every team benefits and loses from shitty refs. It comes full circle. The Sharks got totally screwed a couple times as well, and the Blues got massively screwed in the Conference Final, only to follow it up by benefiting as their opponent got massively screwed in the SCF lol. Teams overcome it or they don’t. Some teams make more of their opportunities.

This year was just bad. There needs to be a third ref watching on tvs like in Toronto. Not necessarily to make normal calls, but at least to fix horrendous calls and non calls.

Rarename91

Jan 18, 2019
I think in a few years we'll look back at this playoff as the emergence or breakthrough of some teams that will be at or around the top of the league for a while to come.

Dallas, Colorado, Calgary, NYI, Carolina, and of course, St. Louis should all be set up to continue their excellent play into the future. Possibly Columbus as well, but we'll have to see about their FA situation. With some of the 'traditional' franchises of the past decade (Pitt, Wash, SJ, Bos, Chi, LAK) starting to get up there in age that crop of teams could be the ones that carry this team through the next stage of the league.
As long as the forwards and goaltending stay healthy Chicago could be back in the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad