So what happens if this team is actually bad?

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
You're missing the point in the talk about splitting up Seguin and Benn. You see it as an insult of Benn.

The talk is coming about because it could be best for increasing the team's output. For many weeks, we have had Seguin's line going crazy and Spezza's line struggling. Moving Benn down a line might really help Spezza. Seguin's production may decline some, but if the net result is the scoring of both lines adding up to more offense, it could be a good thing.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
You're missing the point in the talk about splitting up Seguin and Benn. You see it as an insult of Benn.

The talk is coming about because it could be best for increasing the team's output. For many weeks, we have had Seguin's line going crazy and Spezza's line struggling. Moving Benn down a line might really help Spezza. Seguin's production may decline some, but if the net result is the scoring of both lines adding up to more offense, it could be a good thing.

Yes exactly. I don't know why there's a Seguin vs Benn thing to begin with. They're both great players who are playing great hockey together. They're both better at certain things. They're both the best players on the team.

Do Ducks fans argue about Getzlaf vs Perry ? Let's not be worse than the ****ing Ducks fans.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

No, that is fine and I understand the logic. That wasn't what spezzafan1million said though. He said Seguin has proved he can score with anybody, which isn't the case. Moving Benn to Spezza's line may very well be what's best for the team, and I want to see it happen for the sake of the experiment.

The only slight I take towards Benn is when people say he's soaking up assists on Seguin goals.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Do Ducks fans argue about Getzlaf vs Perry ? Let's not be worse than the ****ing Ducks fans.

No, because they never get split up. Their team scores plenty outside of them as well so there's no need to discuss splitting them up.

Btw, if we had a Getzlaf I wouldn't give two ***** about who plays with him. He's miles better of an all around hockey player than anything we've got. Benn at full beast mode is the closest thing we've got. Both of those Ducks guys are good/great defensive players, Getzlaf the better of the two in that regard. The situations are completely different.

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
The only slight I take towards Benn is when people say he's soaking up assists on Seguin goals.

That's my issue too. Of course I'm biased since Joe Thornton is one of my all-time favorite players so I get a bit miffed when I see people under-rating the value of a good playmaker. Benn has made some assists this year that maybe only Spezza could have also made. That's not something to be dismissed just because Seguin was the one to put it in the net. I actually like that they've been more focused on having Seguin score while Benn sets him up. It plays to both of their strengths. And it's not like Benn hasn't scored any goals himself.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
That's my issue too. Of course I'm biased since Joe Thornton is one of my all-time favorite players so I get a bit miffed when I see people under-rating the value of a good playmaker. Benn has made some assists this year that maybe only Spezza could have also made. That's not something to be dismissed just because Seguin was the one to put it in the net. I actually like that they've been more focused on having Seguin score while Benn sets him up. It plays to both of their strengths. And it's not like Benn hasn't scored any goals himself.

Yes, it does. Benn is a very good passer and playmaker. But a lot of people have him pigeonholed into being a goal scorer so when he isn't scoring goals they assume he's playing like crap. That pass to Seguin on the PP in the Montreal game is something not many players can do and Benn has done it a ton.

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Yes, it does. Benn is a very good passer and playmaker. But a lot of people have him pigeonholed into being a goal scorer so when he isn't scoring goals they assume he's playing like crap. That pass to Seguin on the PP in the Montreal game is something not many players can do and Benn has done it a ton.

If Benn can be a Backstrom-type player to Seguin's Ovechkin then I will be happy. That's what I think would be the best use for both of their skills. Benn is and still will be a 25-35 goal scorer which is perfectly fine. Expecting more out of him is unrealistic.

MetalGodAOD*

If Benn can be a Backstrom-type player to Seguin's Ovechkin then I will be happy. That's what I think would be the best use for both of their skills. Benn is and still will be a 25-35 goal scorer which is perfectly fine. Expecting more out of him is unrealistic.

He needs to pick it up this season then. He's on pace for 20ish.

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
He needs to pick it up this season then. He's on pace for 20ish.

If we're going by pace alone then Seguin is basically guaranteed to have 65 goals this season, right ? And Benn is pacing for 23 goals which is only 2 less than the range I listed even with a lower shooting % than usual and an 11 game goalless drought which is very unlikely to be repeated this season. He's also pacing for a career high in assists but I guess that part isn't important

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
At least we don't fully suck against the East this season like last.

It's just the entire west we suck against.

That's actually helpful for the tank as we play the West more which means we'll pick up less points. Yay unbalanced scheduling. Just imagine a few years ago when they didn't play every team twice.

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Well after a quick look through Benn's stats I have learned something. Benn has scored 8 goals this year. 4 of those goals were not assisted by Seguin even though they spend 80% of their ice time together. Spezza has assisted on as many of Benn's goals as Seguin has this season despite their limited time together. That suggests to me that putting Benn with Spezza would increase his goal scoring.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Well after a quick look through Benn's stats I have learned something. Benn has scored 8 goals this year. 4 of those goals were not assisted by Seguin even though they spend 80% of their ice time together. Spezza has assisted on as many of Benn's goals as Seguin has this season despite their limited time together. That suggests to me that putting Benn with Spezza would increase his goal scoring.

I think you're right. Spezza is far and away our best playmaker.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
No, that is fine and I understand the logic. That wasn't what spezzafan1million said though. He said Seguin has proved he can score with anybody, which isn't the case. Moving Benn to Spezza's line may very well be what's best for the team, and I want to see it happen for the sake of the experiment.

I said this on the Seguin thread too, but I never said Benn "leeches" assists off of Seguin. I CLEARELY know that they are dynamic together, but the fact that Benn not scoring much isn't going to help this team at all (in terms of team perspective).

I've always thought of Benn as a two-way (ish) power forward that can "score" quite a lot of goals. I just thought his stat (8 goals) is disappointing, and looked like he needed other players to help him (and the best option is Spezza).

But I think we are pretty much on the same page other than what I mentioned above, and thanks for clarifying my statement (about this whole Seguin vs Benn thing that I NEVER mentioned in any of my previous posts).

Maybe it was an overstatement that Seguin will continue scoring on the same ratio without Benn, but seriously, he looks (and is) THAT good right now.

And about who is the best playmaker on this team? Spezza AINEC. People will disagree but he was top 2 or top 3 playmakers (centers) in the post-lockout era (Thornton and maybe Crosby if u count him as a "playmaker"), and has still been one of the best playmakers/point producers in the league for almost a decade.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Benn is just a streaky goal scorer. My memory tells me that the last few years he's been on a 20 goal or below pace for a good chunk of the start of the season then picks it up later.

haf

Mar 3, 2008

Those are interesting stats. I think the point of splitting them up is that they are both at their best when they are looking to shoot first. Though I must admit I kind of look at their stats as a combination thing. I don't care which of them are scoring the goals as long as "they" as a combination are scoring.

It would be interesting to see a line in which Benn could go back to being a lead dog again. They are both most dangerous with the puck on their stick.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
Those are interesting stats. I think the point of splitting them up is that they are both at their best when they are looking to shoot first. Though I must admit I kind of look at their stats as a combination thing. I don't care which of them are scoring the goals as long as "they" as a combination are scoring.

It would be interesting to see a line in which Benn could go back to being a lead dog again. They are both most dangerous with the puck on their stick.

Yah, I'm not saying to split them up for eternity. I just want to see how Benn performs being on a different line with Seguin. A player of a status as Spezza won't stunt Benn's play, and you can't really ask for a better playmaker than Spezza.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Sorry if it's wrong, but is that sarcasm?

No sarcasm. He's the best playmaker we have. One of my favorite players on the team. He can really think the game on a higher level than any of our other forwards. He's very creative. It's funny to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad