So was Lindros the only one to hold out as a top level pick

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I was a fan (still am) of Eric Lindros when he was playing in the NHL but was too young to remember the whole draft saga well. From what I’ve read he reportedly did not want to go to Quebec City because it was a small non-performing market and made it clear from day one. Their management drafted him anyway (did not trade the pick) and the whole ordeal began.

Today Connor McDavid is an arguably equally lauded talent but said that he was willing to play anywhere. I think if Phoenix (similar non-performing small market) would have gotten the pick, Connor would have gone there (even if he didn’t want to). So that got me thinking, even though I really admire Eric Lindros, was he in the wrong for refusing to play for the Nordiques? Is the situation different between Connor’s draft compared to Eric’s draft? Are there any objective members (ie non-Flyers or non-Nordiques) that can chime in?

He also refused to play for the Soo greyhounds in the OHL when they'd rafted him. he demanded a trade closer to his home in Toronto so they sent him to Oshawa.

McDavid was picked by Erie in the OHL Draft and they were one of the worst teams in the last 3 seasons prior to drafting him. They were all the way in Erie, PA which is pretty far from all the OHL teams. But he sucked it up and became best friends with the owner/GM, Sherry Bassin.

Randy Marsh

Aug 20, 2012
I was a fan (still am) of Eric Lindros when he was playing in the NHL but was too young to remember the whole draft saga well. From what I’ve read he reportedly did not want to go to Quebec City because it was a small non-performing market and made it clear from day one. Their management drafted him anyway (did not trade the pick) and the whole ordeal began.

Today Connor McDavid is an arguably equally lauded talent but said that he was willing to play anywhere. I think if Phoenix (similar non-performing small market) would have gotten the pick, Connor would have gone there (even if he didn’t want to). So that got me thinking, even though I really admire Eric Lindros, was he in the wrong for refusing to play for the Nordiques? Is the situation different between Connor’s draft compared to Eric’s draft? Are there any objective members (ie non-Flyers or non-Nordiques) that can chime in?

One of the reasons Lindros didn't want to play for the Nordiques was because he thought owner Marcel Aubut was incompetent. Aubut proved this hunch correct when he traded Lindros to 2 teams at the same time and the league needed an independent arbitrator to find out what really happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad