Speculation: So ownership just didn't want to pay Mark Stone

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Blame? For what? A honest headline for this little Stone story should be mark stone decided to play for the highest bidder. Do I think the sens should have been the highest bidder? Sure.
Do I find it odd there is somehow 'sides' or 'blame' on this topic? I do
Yawn, you have played this card way too many times. Next excuse please.

The bidding war was a pretty simple one. Mark Stone wanted a NTC, 30 teams would have offered it to him, one wouldn't. Guess which one that "one" is?

So,I guess, technically the Ottawa Senators were "outbid" by 30 other teams.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Hahahaha what a spin job. Mark Stone did not go to the highest bidder, in fact he gave away that opportunity to help the Senators and instead signed with one of the few teams he could negotiate with based on who the team had worked out an acceptable trade with. Mark Stone did the Senators a huge favor and they never would have gotten Brannstrom otherwise.

Why do this to yourselves, it's just the contrarian opinion and giving the organization the benefit of the doubt on absolutely everything just to get a rise out of people that can see things for what they really are.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
I cant cut and paste for some reason. TSN headline- sens give teams permission to talk contract with Karlsson
It doesn't matter, Karlsson can't accept an offer without being traded first.

& are you unaware that Karlsson is a UFA in 6 weeks?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I cant cut and paste for some reason. TSN headline- sens give teams permission to talk contract with Karlsson
That is not the same as going to ufa and going to the "highest bidder." It was a disingenuous claim on your part. That is only happening for the Senators benefit to try to squeeze more out of a trade. These guys were doing the Senators a favor by even being open to the idea.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
According to Lebrun Vegas demanded to discuss a contract with Vegas prior to signing off on the agreed upon trade of Brannstrom, 2nd, Lindberg with Ottawa which was originally meant as compensation for Stone as a rental. Dorion agreed to let VGK talk to Stone, I assume because he had no better options and did not have the leverage to ask for more or hold his ground.

This was in the final hour of the TDL.

Dorion was sweating it out with an inferior backup offer on hold (Beauvillier NYI) knowing that if Vegas ran out the clock, he'd get nothing for Stone.

Stone and Vegas agreed on a deal prior to 3PM but it could not be signed for another week. If I recall, this was a consequence of the NHL's tagging rule. This means teams cannot exceed the following years salary cap until a specific date in March where they get a 10 percent surplus. Stone's contract was signed a week or so later after already apparently being agreed upon.

Everything that has been said point to a NMC being the primary issue with Stone and Ottawa. He clearly wanted the upper end of his market value of he was going to sign anywhere, but that doesn't invalidate him wanting to stay. If people want to criticize him because they have the expectation that players should take team friendly deals, they are entitled to that opinion, but I don't understand how it is fair to expect players to commit to taking a hair cut on a team that doesn't seem committed themselves. It's a contradiction.

Reactions: God Says No

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Everything that has been said point to a NMC being the primary issue with Stone and Ottawa. He clearly wanted the upper end of his market value of he was going to sign anywhere, but that doesn't invalidate him wanting to stay. If people want to criticize him because they have the expectation that players should take team friendly deals, they are entitled to that opinion, but I don't understand how it is fair to expect players to commit to taking a hair cut on a team that doesn't seem committed themselves. It's a contradiction.

This.

Ottawa seems to be asking players to make all the sacrifices without taking any risk themselves.

They, from all reports, were asking Stone to take less money to play on a worse team without even guaranteeing that they wouldn't flip him to a city he doesn't want to be in 2 years later. Really?

You can't ask players to commit to this franchise and make a financial sacrifice without committing to them in return.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
This.
Ottawa seems to be asking players to make all the sacrifices without taking any risk themselves.
They, from all reports, were asking Stone to take less money to play on a worse team without even guaranteeing that they wouldn't flip him to a city he doesn't want to be in 2 years later. Really?
You can't ask players to commit to this franchise and make a financial sacrifice without committing to them in return.

The Senators can and repeatedly do exactly that.

It's like they know it won't work and that they can institute a financially motivated firesale while pushing the blame on the players.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Yeah, that's right.

The Ken Warren "left on the tarmac" thing and the Melnyk telling Brent Wallace that he'd "bury him" stories came out on the same day, I guess I just conflated the two.
Something else had to have happened with Wally since then, he was back to carrying water for a good chunk of the season (remember the whole EK foces everyone to skip practice charade), so it is very uncharacteristic of him to have tweeted what he did. So excited to find out the new trigger point in about 6 months.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Hahahaha what a spin job. Mark Stone did not go to the highest bidder, in fact he gave away that opportunity to help the Senators and instead signed with one of the few teams he could negotiate with based on who the team had worked out an acceptable trade with. Mark Stone did the Senators a huge favor and they never would have gotten Brannstrom otherwise.

Why do this to yourselves, it's just the contrarian opinion and giving the organization the benefit of the doubt on absolutely everything just to get a rise out of people that can see things for what they really are.

Now that is a stretch. Stone could have gone Tavares instead he "helped" the Senators? Would love to read where you found this. Never mind.

Ottawa was not going to get Tavares'd. If you sign you stay. If you don't, you go.

Stone was entitled to get what he wanted, and good for him. I do not begrudge him, as I would do the same in his position. The fact that it took so long to sit him pointed out to this clearly being a financial decision. Nothing else. He liked it here, at the right price, which is a damning indictment to all those fans who say players of his ilk can't wait to get out of here. If he had the same deal as Vegas, 61 is still in red. They did not put up, and they lost him.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Now that is a stretch. Stone could have gone Tavares instead he "helped" the Senators? Would love to read where you found this. Never mind.

Ottawa was not going to get Tavares'd. If you sign you stay. If you don't, you go.

Stone was entitled to get what he wanted, and good for him. I do not begrudge him, as I would do the same in his position. The fact that it took so long to sit him pointed out to this clearly being a financial decision. Nothing else. He liked it here, at the right price, which is a damning indictment to all those fans who say players of his ilk can't wait to get out of here. If he had the same deal as Vegas, 61 is still in red. They did not put up, and they lost him.
Stone could have simply refused to sign any deal until UFA.

Instead, he did the Sens a favour and allowed them to get higher value by agreeing to negotiate with Vegas.

Painting this any other way is simply wrong.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Yeah, that's right.

The Ken Warren "left on the tarmac" thing and the Melnyk telling Brent Wallace that he'd "bury him" stories came out on the same day, I guess I just conflated the two.
Yeah, funny that Wallace has had ample time and opportunity to tell us the story behind negotiations, but he chooses to respond to the tweet some nearly three months later. I wonder why. And people are like "yeah, way to go Wally!". Why aren't people saying "WTF is going on Wally, tell us, you are a f***ing reporter, aren't you?"

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Stone could have simply refused to sign any deal until UFA.

Instead, he did the Sens a favour and allowed them to get higher value by agreeing to negotiate with Vegas.

Painting this any other way is simply wrong.
oh yes, now St. stone went from "helping" the Sens to doing "favours". Please let me know when he walked on the canal in the summer too.

FFS, he wanted THIS much, Ottawa offered THAT much. Not enough, #packyourshit. Is everyone new to this?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

? Seems pretty self explanatory. He helped the Senators by being willing to talk contract with the trade partner. He could have said no and that he was being dealt as a rental. If he wouldn't have been willing to sign an extension then they wouldn't have gotten a player of Brannstrom's ilk and Dohrion wouldn't have his new bff. Stone could have just waited until July 1 and truly gone to the highest bidder, but he instead did the Senators a favor.

You are correct. Stone liked it here, but not enough to make large concessions on terms for the organizations benefit despite things being an established trend for them.

Ottawa does not get to offer below market value contracts and be commended for it. The market sets the market, it's not up to Ottawa to decide. They might as well skip the charade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad