Speculation: So ownership just didn't want to pay Mark Stone

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSG1165

Sep 9, 2010
Ottawa
Not surprising. But that contract could look really ugly in 3-4 years. Too soon to tell who won the trade.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
It's good to have it confirmed in black and white so the contrarians can stop pretending like Stone just didn't want to stay.

With that said, screw this org.

I would have gladly given Stone that money and let him captain the team for the next 8 years. I mean if Vegas could do it, why not a rebuilding team with a ton of cap space and a ton of kids to mentor? It's a god damn tragedy that Melnyk is too cheap even for one of the best all-around players and LEADERS in the league.

Shame on him and shame on Dorion.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Not surprising. But that contract could look really ugly in 3-4 years. Too soon to tell who won the trade.

It's not that this is an invalid point, but you can use that fear of the contract to justify not giving one to anyone save like a consensus generational player like McDavid or Crosby.

Edit: In case it's not clear, I reject any claim that trading Stone was a good move.

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Melnyk and Dorion:
D6JKq_BUcAESNSB.jpg:large

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

He literally just turned 27 today. He's been mostly healthy these last few years and is seemingly getting better every game.

Sure, he could slow down at 32-33, but that's still 5-6 years of excellent hockey and if anyone can still keep up his play late into his career, it's a smart player like Stone. He's not all flash and speed. '

No, there's really zero justification for trading a young leader like that.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009

I think it was the worst decision since redden over chara. Stone was such an obvious positive force on this team, as shown by his reactions to goals. That kind of positivity is hard to find and I think it would have helped keep spirits up in the room while going through the rebuild. You could tell especially from Chabot's play after the deadline that the team no longer cared. It's good for us that we have tkachuk because I believe he brings a similar positive attitude to the room.

Stone is a fantastic player but I believe leaders are even more important when going through a rebuild. Even if he became a 60 point player in year 4/5 there is so much he brings beyond his points. We should not have let him go.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I think it was the worst decision since redden over chara. Stone was such an obvious positive force on this team, as shown by his reactions to goals. That kind of positivity is hard to find and I think it would have helped keep spirits up in the room while going through the rebuild. You could tell especially from Chabot's play after the deadline that the team no longer cared. It's good for us that we have tkachuk because I believe he brings a similar positive attitude to the room.

Stone is a fantastic player but I believe leaders are even more important when going through a rebuild. Even if he became a 60 point player in year 4/5 there is so much he brings beyond his points. We should not have let him go.
It was the worst decision since the even worse decision to trade a generational Dman for 6 low value pieces.

Reactions: lancepitlick

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
What a shocker!

Up next is Chabot, after Ottawa “takes a run” at keeping him by offering a 5 year, 25 million dollar deal.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
It was the worst decision since the even worse decision to trade a generational Dman for 6 low value pieces.

I love EK and desperately wanted him to stick around, but I do believe losing Stone is the worst decision. I know you're weirdly not that high on Stone but he's going to captain the Knights to a cup or two I have no doubt about it. He's the ultimate leader.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Of course. Nobody other than the resident few actually believed their offers were genuine right?!?!?!

Par for the course. This franchise and the people who own and run it are an absolute embarrassment to the NHL and pro sports in general. They're a bush league joke and they've done it all to themselves despite attempting to blame it on everything but their own actions.

I don't know what's worse. The reality that is the Senators, or the fact that we're still yet to hear them take a lick of responsibility despite the whole situation being their own damn fault.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
So Dean Brown got it wrong that Stone didn’t want to be a part of the rebuild, again???

Remember the coldness of team photo last year of EK and Melnyck and everyone was saying a picture says it all and Dean Brown commented that it wasn’t like that and everyone got along and essentially don’t believe the media (even if he is the definition of bought and sold media)

No wonder the fans here think the media does a poor job, they can’t even report correctly if Stone wanted in or out and what the contract offers were.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
So Dean Brown got it wrong that Stone didn’t want to be a part of the rebuild, again???

Remember the coldness of team photo last year of EK and Melnyck and everyone was saying a picture says it all and Dean Brown commented that it wasn’t like that and everyone got along and essentially don’t believe the media (even if he is the definition of bought and sold media)

No wonder the fans here think the media does a poor job, they can’t even report correctly if Stone wanted in or out and what the contract offers were.

You can't listen to the evil Toronto media like Bob McKenzie. He'll say anything at the expense of the Senators to stir up trade deadline ratings. Erik Karlsson is not being shopped, that's absurd, why would we trade him? - Some HFBoards Sens posters during happier times in January 2018

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Brent Wallace coming out with fire.
Looks like Brent Wallace just became the latest in a long line of "bush league" journalists in Ottawa, according to Eugene Melnyk.

In case anyone forgot the official rules of becoming a "bush league journalist" according to the Ottawa Senators Hockey Club:

Step 1: have actual journalistic integrity, amd report the truth instead of towing the team's PR party line.

Step 2: see Step 1

~fin~

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
If you are sincerely shocked at this then you are an idiot
I wonder how long it will be until we get told that Mark Stone was lying to Dreger and that we should never trust what comes out of a players mouth because he is just trying to protect his image and that Wally is just bitter from Melnyk's comments from last year.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I wonder how long it will be until we get told that Mark Stone was lying to Dreger and that we should never trust what comes out of a players mouth because he is just trying to protect his image and that Wally is just bitter from Melnyk's comments from last year.
Won't be long. Also there will be people who actually would believe that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad