Speculation: So ownership just didn't want to pay Mark Stone

Status
Not open for further replies.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Didnt they offer him 10.5 for shorter term? I can understand him wanting a longer contract and all, I wish he stayed but with a career high of 73 points Its tough to see him worth 9.5 in his 30's.
On a side note happy birthday Mr Stone

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Didn't want to pony up money for Karlsson, Stone or Duchene.

Now they are apparently going to "take a run" at signing Chabot long-term.

I think we all should think seriously about investing any of our time, money and emotion into this franchise, cause Melnyk sure isn't.

Reactions: bert

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ok...

So, I guess maybe there was reason to believe they were close in the offseason when we inexplicably gave him a one year deal, but the writing was on the wall that we wouldn't be flexible and meet his demands given that we basically gave him all the leverage.

I mean, this basically confirms that we handled it in the worst possible way. We could have signed him, but instead of ensuring it got done when we had some leverage, we waited till the last possible moment to do anything losing any trade leverage and still didn't sign him.

Reactions: DrEasy

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
According to who?

I am not sure that is why it is presented as a question.I know it was in a discussion or two on these boards. There is zero chance he takes a shorter contract from anyone with this year being his highest value.

The real question is how can 90% of hf sens push EM is an idiot and noone will play for him or work for him and everyone wants to stay at the same time? Seems fishy

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
I am not sure that is why it is presented as a question.I know it was in a discussion or two on these boards. There is zero chance he takes a shorter contract from anyone with this year being his highest value.

The real question is how can 90% of hf sens push EM is an idiot and noone will play for him or work for him and everyone wants to stay at the same time? Seems fishy
99.9%

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dorion will just say he didn't hear what Stone said and he didn't know the context of the conversation. He will follow up by saying ... All I can tell you is that we did everything in our power to sign Mark Stone. ( omitting the part where matching the offer wasn't in their power)

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Who does he want to spend money on?

POHO? Nope
GM? my guess is Dorion is coming cheap.
Coach? History suggests not.
Star players? Doesn't seem to be the case.

Correct small fan base=small budget, same reason there is talk about Barrie and same reason Skinner was traded.

And before you freak out about small fan base and why, yes yes teams suffer when they lose its why the draft is set up like it is. Every team goes through it. Hardcore hockey markets like Edmonton and Toronto can pull it off, most the other teams can't withought serious budget cuts.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Didnt they offer him 10.5 for shorter term? I can understand him wanting a longer contract and all, I wish he stayed but with a career high of 73 points Its tough to see him worth 9.5 in his 30's.
Source for this claim?

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Correct small fan base=small budget, same reason there is talk about Barrie and same reason Skinner was traded.

And before you freak out about small fan base and why, yes yes teams suffer when they lose its why the draft is set up like it is. Every team goes through it. Hardcore hockey markets like Edmonton and Toronto can pull it off, most the other teams can't withought serious budget cuts.

The organization made “fair” offers to Stone, EK and Dzingle

You’d think if the offers were legit the Sens would have some money to allocate into plan B... with the way the search for President has gone, it shows those extension offer we’re a joke

Reactions: Deku

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
They knew damn well what it was going to take to sign any of these guys in aav, trade protection, bonus money, etc. and chose not to offer it. It is what it is, but it was quite obviously a sham.

Melnyk just seems to think players owe him a discount or they can get the f out.

Reactions: topshelf15

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

This teams revenue problems are self inflicted. Other teams can manage fluctuations resulting from a losing season or two because they don't go out of their way to alienate their fans.

There's also the dissonance between your claims that we made offers to star players but they just didn't want to stick around, and budget preventing us from hiring competent execs. You can't have it both ways.

There are other teams that operate on a budget but manage not to look like fools doing so. Heck, there was a time when we were one of them.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
They knew damn well what it was going to take to sign any of these guys in aav, trade protection, bonus money, etc. and chose not to offer it. It is what it is, but it was quite obviously a sham.

Melnyk just seems to think players owe him a discount or they can get the f out.
Everyone knows what happened and why.

Thanks Eugene!
#Melnykout

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Brand matters and the Sens have the worst brand in the league. Who is responsible for the brand? Ownership, hockey ops, marketing, etc. Guess what isn’t responsible for brand? Fans, they are the result of a successful brand, not a driver. Truth hurts....

Ask Facebook how their brand is doing lately

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
[MOD QDP]

Good and that changes what? Are more fans in the seats? Are you saying now that everyone says its Melnyks fault over and over there is more money? Is it all better now? Nope still got a small fan base and low budget.
Its illogical to act like saying there is no money is somehow taking some sort of side or stance,it's a fact. And when talking about spending money how can people ignore the fact it isnt there.

Last edited by a moderator:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

A contrarian to the bitter end.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Good and that changes what? Are more fans in the seats? Are you saying now that everyone says its Melnyks fault over and over there is more money? Is it all better now? Nope still got a small fan base and low budget.
Its illogical to act like saying there is no money is somehow taking some sort of side or stance,it's a fact. And when talking about spending money how can people ignore the fact it isnt there.
But the money was there for "fair" offers to EK, Dzingle, Duchene and Stone...

Where did this money go? Did it dematerialize?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad