So McFarland, Hakstol, Brewer, Briere, and Bean have to go...

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
This is a lifeless team who seem to have no interest in playing with each other. Look no further then the Power Play. This is God awful and has to turn around fast. What is there to praise when it comes to special teams and goaltending this year? Might as well punt some of these guys. They are brutal.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
This is a lifeless team who seem to have no interest in playing with each other. Look no further then the Power Play. This is God awful and has to turn around fast. What is there to praise when it comes to special teams and goaltending this year? Might as well punt some of these guys. They are brutal.
At some point, it may very well just be the players themselves.

I'd like to see no coaches whatsoever and just have the players run everything amongst themselves. Then we'd find out

Reactions: AreBe and Legendary

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
You pessimists are relentless tonight.
I am guessing your one of the BELEAFERs that think everything will A-OK. Injuries are just an excuse. The top players are still playing and look very disinterested. They got their money and just want to pad their stats. Its going to be a long season in Leaf land.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I am guessing your one of the BELEAFERs that think everything will A-OK. Injuries are just an excuse. The top players are still playing and look very disinterested. They got their money and just want to pad their stats. Its going to be a long season in Leaf land.
I'm one of the crazies that doesn't believe the season is only 14 games long.

Anyone in here remember this team from out west that was in last place in January last year ........

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

Anyone in here remember this team from out west that was in last place in January last year ........

Hockey fans have to stop using St. Louis as a model for second half season come backs. Many smàll miracles happened before they won the cup. You'll never see a season like that again.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
the PP & PK and D have sucked under numerous assistants now, I wonder what the common denominator is? There is just no way a control freak like babcock actually would implement his assistant coaches full strategies, switching Marner and Matthews worked for a little bit on the PP sure. But we still do the exact same entry into the zone every single time Rielly gets it and drops it back the player who receives it (Marner, Matthews, Nylander) tries to rush it over the blue line its incredibly predictable

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region

Yes I do. I also remember their success started when they fired their coach. Imagine that.

Reactions: Legendary

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Hockey fans have to stop using St. Louis as a model for second half season come backs. Many smàll miracles happened before they won the cup. You'll never see a season like that again.

I think the last time a team went from around that position in the standings to a playoff position was the Caps in Ovi' 2nd or 3rd season and they didn't win a Cup.

You are seeing patterns/trends with the team and not all of them are good.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
We're not even through 1/5th of the season, we're still within 25 days of the season starting!!!

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

You are right and appear naive at the same time.

Right in that the season long. This team has enough skill to get into the playoffs. No question. I’d be shocked if they didn’t make it. There is no need to proclaim the sky is falling... we can be reasonably assured of playoff hockey without trading everyone, firing the coach and GM.

However, that’s just phase one of a Cup run.

The next phase is winning 4 playoff series.

It’s pretty clear that the team doesn’t have the grit to get through grittier teams. We’ve seen that in the regular season and we’ve seen that in the playoffs with this core.

And given the playoff format and strength of division, we aren’t likely to get an easy matchup.

If they don’t make changes, we can be reasonably assured of a first round exit.

Reactions: ToneDog

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

Small miracles?

It was one big miracle.

They found a goalie and their team save% went from 28th in the league at the end of January to 3rd the rest of the way. He then carried them to the cup. If they dont have that goalie, they end up a lottery team...period.

Their underlying possession and scoring chance numbers were virtually the same. They were a good team being held down by bad goalkeeping.

The Blues comparison is actually very useful here.

Since January, the Leafs goaltending has been near the bottom of the league. It's the reason for the .500 record. Why is this so hard for some to grasp.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
We're not even through 1/5th of the season, we're still within 25 days of the season starting!!!

No one is declaring that the season is over. But game 15 (Nov 2nd) is a significant marker.

Why are leaf fans anxious? Because they made moves to push for playoff success. Because key players got paid recently. Because we don't have a first round pick next June. Most importantly, they're not playing very well. All they've shown is that they are slightly better than the worst teams in the NHL.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Small miracles?

It was one big miracle.

They found a goalie and their team save% went from 28th in the league at the end of January to 3rd the rest of the way. He then carried them to the cup. If they dont have that goalie, they end up a lottery team...period.

Their underlying possession and scoring chance numbers were virtually the same. They were a good team being held down by bad goalkeeping.

The Blues comparison is actually very useful here.

Since January, the Leafs goaltending has been near the bottom of the league. It's the reason for the .500 record. Why is this so hard for some to grasp.

No. You're leaving out key facts.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Yes I do. I also remember their success started when they fired their coach. Imagine that.
They went from two goalies with .885 and .905 SV% to a guy (Binnington) with a .927 SV% right around that same time, hmm go figure.

"Show me a good coach and I'll show you a good goalie"

Hutchinson and Andersen are at .885 and .901 SV% so far this season.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
No. You're leaving out key facts.

Do tell.

We actually got a taste of the cup champs earlier this season as we dominated them and this minor miracle stood on his head to steal the win as our keeper had easy saves going right through him to blow the game.

Was that Jake Allen in net for us or Andersen? I couldn't tell.....

Reactions: Menzinger

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
We have some of the most talented young forwards in the game, a workhorse starting goalie, improved defensive depth, and just named one of the hardest working star players in the league as captain.

It's not time to blow anything up. It's early.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We have some of the most talented young forwards in the game, a workhorse starting goalie, improved defensive depth, and just named one of the hardest working star players in the league as captain.

It's not time to blow anything up. It's early.

No but it's time to set them on fire! Shape up or ship out!

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
You are right and appear naive at the same time.

Right in that the season long. This team has enough skill to get into the playoffs. No question. I’d be shocked if they didn’t make it. There is no need to proclaim the sky is falling... we can be reasonably assured of playoff hockey without trading everyone, firing the coach and GM.

However, that’s just phase one of a Cup run.

The next phase is winning 4 playoff series.

It’s pretty clear that the team doesn’t have the grit to get through grittier teams. We’ve seen that in the regular season and we’ve seen that in the playoffs with this core.

And given the playoff format and strength of division, we aren’t likely to get an easy matchup.

If they don’t make changes, we can be reasonably assured of a first round exit.

Are you as worried about TB as you are the Leafs? They look terrible too, and have many similar issues to the Leafs, IMO.

Then I look at the Blues and the Flames....two teams who we can all agree are gritty and tough to play against....and they're under achieving, too.

I'm just curious why we are ready to proclaim the Leafs a failure at this point, but not the other teams I listed. To be clear, I'm not saying you're saying exactly that, just that a lot of people seem to think this way and since you seem to write out more than just a one line hot take, I'm curious about your thoughts.

Reactions: qqaz

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Follow these Steps
1List all the years when the last place team on Jan 1st didn’t win the Cup. Count the number of years
2List all the years they did win. Count the number of years
3Add two counts together and write down the sum.
4 divide the total in step 2 by the total in step 3 and multiply by 100
I bet the number you get is less than 50.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Id like to see Barrie get some time on the 1st PP. Rielly is nicked up and hurting and Barrie needs a spark so might be something to take a look at.
I’m of the mind that we need to “try “ to go to a more traditional PP with Barrie and Reilly our on the points ...
I think the biggest weapon we lack on the point is a big booming shot , which I think Barrie can produce
Look at Carlsons shots last night

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Are you as worried about TB as you are the Leafs? They look terrible too, and have many similar issues to the Leafs, IMO.

Then I look at the Blues and the Flames....two teams who we can all agree are gritty and tough to play against....and they're under achieving, too.

I'm just curious why we are ready to proclaim the Leafs a failure at this point, but not the other teams I listed. To be clear, I'm not saying you're saying exactly that, just that a lot of people seem to think this way and since you seem to write out more than just a one line hot take, I'm curious about your thoughts.

Why would I be worried about any team other than the Leafs? ;)

My perspective on hockey is different.

I really don’t get worked up over the regular season. Momentum heading into playoffs, getting a good PK or PP, largely irrelevant.

How we did against Montreal in October means absolutely nothing against Boston in May.

So provided we can get enough points to get in... that and staying healthy are really the only goals for the regular season.

But the playoffs. Tampa. Gritty. Boston. Even Montreal pushed us around. We know what’s coming and need to be prepared. Need to find a way to instil that grit in those we have and support the need to have it on the roster.

What is concerning is that the GM is highly unlikely to seek out grit for the playoffs. He said he doesn’t buy into physicality.

So we have a great chance to have another 1st round exit if nothing changes.

That’s really my “theme” in posting.

Reactions: RoyalCitySlicker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad