So McFarland, Hakstol, Brewer, Briere, and Bean have to go...

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
This is a lifeless team who seem to have no interest in playing with each other. Look no further then the Power Play. This is God awful and has to turn around fast. What is there to praise when it comes to special teams and goaltending this year? Might as well punt some of these guys. They are brutal.

Doesn't the theme of this thread already exist in about half a dozen others?

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Follow these Steps
1List all the years when the last place team on Jan 1st didn’t win the Cup. Count the number of years
2List all the years they did win. Count the number of years
3Add two counts together and write down the sum.
4 divide the total in step 2 by the total in step 3 and multiply by 100
I bet the number you get is less than 50.
I'll do that when they're in last place on January 1st.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Replace all the assistant coaches because the team under performs....team continues to underperform with all the new coaches: Fire the coaches!!! There are some constants here people it's not hard to figure out.

Reactions: Smif

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Why would I be worried about any team other than the Leafs? ;)

My perspective on hockey is different.

I really don’t get worked up over the regular season. Momentum heading into playoffs, getting a good PK or PP, largely irrelevant.

How we did against Montreal in October means absolutely nothing against Boston in May.

So provided we can get enough points to get in... that and staying healthy are really the only goals for the regular season.

But the playoffs. Tampa. Gritty. Boston. Even Montreal pushed us around. We know what’s coming and need to be prepared. Need to find a way to instil that grit in those we have and support the need to have it on the roster.

What is concerning is that the GM is highly unlikely to seek out grit for the playoffs. He said he doesn’t buy into physicality.

So we have a great chance to have another 1st round exit if nothing changes.

That’s really my “theme” in posting.

Fair enough. Can't say I agree on all your thoughts necessarily, but I can see where you're coming from.

I just happen to think it's still too early and the bulk of the team is still too young to be making such adamant proclamations, but like I said, I can understand why you feel the way you do.

A lot can change....I still think this team can do some damage and while I'm not sure the solution is "grit", I do think they need to find that win-at-all-costs mentality that it seems champions have....I just think they still have time to find it. Players can change, we've seen it happen lots of times, but that doesn't mean it will happen here.

Thanks for the response!

Reactions: Pookie

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Both the PP and the PK (probably a bit more for the latter IMO) need to improve. A PP provides more under its best scenario, but an unsuccessful PK is more detrimental. There's also that the team's GA is much more of a problem in comparison to GF across all game situations in total. I'm of the belief that a goalie is a team's most important PKer, so there's a relationship there. That said, not just any three or four skaters should play in front of the goalie(s). There was considerable personnel (players and coaching) change across both special teams units going into the season, so hopefully an upward trend will begin any time now.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
This is a lifeless team who seem to have no interest in playing with each other. Look no further then the Power Play. This is God awful and has to turn around fast. What is there to praise when it comes to special teams and goaltending this year? Might as well punt some of these guys. They are brutal.

You want Carlton gone as well?

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I’m of the mind that we need to “try “ to go to a more traditional PP with Barrie and Reilly our on the points ...
I think the biggest weapon we lack on the point is a big booming shot , which I think Barrie can produce
Look at Carlsons shots last night
I thought that was one of the reasons they acquired barrie...Also removing a forward from the 1st PP unit might make the 2nd unit better by inserting that forward.. Or just try Barrie instead of Rielly for a while!

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I think the PK has been passable. The PP though....yikes.

Yea, considering how bad the goalkeeping has been, the PKers have looked decent this year.

I think they have gotten in their own heads with the PP though. The talent is there but they just gotta find a groove. Tavares being out has hurt it a ton though. It was something like 8th with him in and near the bottom of the league without him.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
You are right and appear naive at the same time.

Right in that the season long. This team has enough skill to get into the playoffs. No question. I’d be shocked if they didn’t make it. There is no need to proclaim the sky is falling... we can be reasonably assured of playoff hockey without trading everyone, firing the coach and GM.

However, that’s just phase one of a Cup run.

The next phase is winning 4 playoff series.

It’s pretty clear that the team doesn’t have the grit to get through grittier teams. We’ve seen that in the regular season and we’ve seen that in the playoffs with this core.

And given the playoff format and strength of division, we aren’t likely to get an easy matchup.

If they don’t make changes, we can be reasonably assured of a first round exit.

Mostly all true to a degree. Don't lose sight that only one player (Rielly) has been here more than 3 seasons and much of our core is very early 20's. Most teams take time to develop. Most pundits figured last year would be the first year this club even sniffed the playoffs but they've been there 3 times now and in regular season have I think the 7th or 8th best record in those 3 years. We are way ahead in those regards and sometimes people look at today without thinking about yesterday. Tweaking to be done for sure but people shouldn't lose sight of how these curves normally go.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Doesn't the theme of this thread already exist in about half a dozen others?

No. "Lifeless" was what I saw on the Power Play. No one wanted to pass or shoot. No one knew when to pass or shoot. No one knew where to go. No one knew who to look for.

Now sure a lot of blame can go to Babs, Dubas, Andersen, the young stars, but I'm calling out the hired help. The people that are off to the side and yet not doing their jobs: The Video Analyst, The Goalie Coach, and (especially) Three Assistant Coaches need to smarten up.

They should be traded or sent down to the Marlies.

Next up Senior Advisor: Cliff Fletcher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad