So.... Let's Go Blues!

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/490891

More proof on why if FLA takes a Sam, we should take the other...

The idea that St Louis needs MORE offense, in terms of forward talent, is ****ing preposterous... You want more offense? Find a coach who will give it to you. Until then, stop complaining that you don't have enough offense between Backes, Steen, Schwartz, Tarasenko, Oshie, Roy, with Shats and Petri on the back end...

give me a break

St Louis played their game, and got beat...

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo

i don't see how this has anything to do with us, florida or bennett/reinhart... :skeptic:

EDIT:

Unless you're trying to make the connection that the Sabres need more elite forwards than defenders, but even then, that article is not one I would connect with that thinking right away

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
i don't see how this has anything to do with us, florida or bennett/reinhart... :skeptic:

EDIT:

Unless you're trying to make the connection that the Sabres need more elite forwards than defenders, but even then, that article is not one I would connect with that thinking right away

I had the exact same reaction.

You could link to an article about the Oilers and say the Sabres should take Ekblad.

:sarcasm:

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
The idea that St Louis needs MORE offense, in terms of forward talent, is ****ing preposterous... You want more offense? Find a coach who will give it to you. Until then, stop complaining that you don't have enough offense between Backes, Steen, Schwartz, Tarasenko, Oshie, Roy, with Shats and Petri on the back end...

give me a break

All nice good pieces but they dont have that gamebreaking forward like that guy in your avatar.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

give me a break

Yep. It would be like saying the Sabres needed more offense in 06-07 after scoring only 10 goals (5 games) against the Senators in the conference finals. The team that had Briere, Drury, Vanek, Roy, Pominville, Afinogenov...now they didn't have a D-corps quite like St Louis, but they certainly weren't lacking for offense. One bad playoff series doesn't change that.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

I think you need to look up the definition of proof.

There's also the part of the article where they talk about how good Stl D is, a D core with Pietrangelo who is more than a stick length better then what Fla is rocking, but I guess that doesn't fit the projected narrative so it's best to just ignore it, right. Right? Right.

Also, I'm not sure you can write an article with less substance. The blues lost, Chicago scored more, therefore we must not be scoring enough, nobodies fault it happens, btw FA isn't very good so good luck. That's an article I'd expect out of my high school paper.

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
All nice good pieces but they dont have that gamebreaking forward like that guy in your avatar.

Exactly. They don't have any player who has ever scored 70+ points or has the potential too. Maybe Tarasenko but I doubt it. You can't win a cup without at least one high end elite forward. The Blues got a nice top 9 but if Oshie, Backes and Steen are your top 3 forwards you aren't even getting out of the West let alone winning the cup. Oshie and company have been unproductive in the playoffs their whole careers.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

You're right... But Toews as a game breaker? I don't like that verbiage for him, personally.

He's an ice general, and about as good as they come in that sense. Kane is a game breaker.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Exactly. They don't have any player who has ever scored 70+ points or has the potential too. Maybe Tarasenko but I doubt it. You can't win a cup without at least one high end elite forward. The Blues got a nice top 9 but if Oshie, Backes and Steen are your top 3 forwards you aren't even getting out of the West let alone winning the cup. Oshie and company have been unproductive in the playoffs their whole careers.

If point production is your only barometer... :rolleyes:

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY

Boston?

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
Blues will have a big question mark for how they perform how they perform this upcoming season. Will they let the end of last season carry over, when they first got Miller they seemed to be doing fine. Is the blues recent decline really due to injuries incurred? Hoping they crash and burn this coming season but I don't really see it. If they don't resign Miller how much experience does Elliott have being a starter for a full season that might be great for our picks if he can't handle the load.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

You beat me to it. Highest scoring forward on their Cup winner: 62 pts (Lucic, Krejci). They didn't have anyone on a 70-point pace last year, either, and they were two wins from the Cup. No 70-point scorer this year, either.

More than one way to skin a cat.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
You beat me to it. Highest scoring forward on their Cup winner: 62 pts (Lucic, Krejci). They didn't have anyone on a 70-point pace last year, either, and they were two wins from the Cup. No 70-point scorer this year, either.

Boston was top 5 as a team in goals per game in their Cup year. A lack of "elite" offensive talents didn't stop their well oiled offense from producing goals. It was balanced, but as a team still lethal.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Boston was top 5 as a team in goals per game in their Cup year. A lack of "elite" offensive talents didn't stop their well oiled offense from producing goals. It was balanced, but as a team still lethal.

St Louis failed this year with the same concept despite scoring 1 less goal this season than Pittsburgh and San Jose they were 7th in Goals for. If they scored 2 more goals this season they would be tied with the Avs for 4th. I think if St. Louis were in the East they would go to the Finals, Western Conference is much stronger.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Miller's legacy really has taken a hit in this series. He finally gets behind an elite defense and can't win a big game. 2-Series lead coming out of St Louis....Lose in 6. He was great in Game 1 (after giving up 3 goals)....but really..to go into a tie game and give up 4! goals in the 3rd period of an elimination game. It is pretty rotten that a team with 111 Points had to play the 107 point blackhawks in the opening round.
I think he can forget a 'long' term contract this summer. He will likely get big dollars, but short term. Don't get me wrong, Miller is still a good goalie....but he no longer can be considered elite.

No different than the old 21-team intra-divisional-rivalry Adams-Norris-Smythe-Patrick playoff format from ~1981-1994.

Early 1980s were a frustrating time to be a Sabre fan.
1982 - Sabres finish 4th in Conf., 6th in NHL, lose to the 3rd / 5th place Bruins.
1984 - Sabres finish 2nd in Conf., 4th in NHL, lose to the 3rd / 6th place Nordique.
1985 - Sabres finish 3rd in Conf., 8th in NHL, lose to the 2nd / 7th place Nordique.

==============
I'll agree the Blues went on a late slide, their D was not stellar, didn't challenge enough at blue line, allowed too many odd-man and breakaways, were putrid on PP, and not enough goals-for (result of PP). Plus it was Chicago. Miller needs no personal defense, so I am not even citing him. Posters or trolls stating otherwise need to reconsider. At least not with the 3+ games I watched as evidence.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Boston is the exception to the rule though. Every other team since the lockout has had an elite scoring forward. It didn't hurt that Boston had a goalie that had one of the best seasons ever and a first ballot HOF defenseman. Boston won with depth, but they still had ELITE talent. St. Louis doesn't have ELITE talent.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

Krejci had 69 points this year, 1 point off. Krejci has hit 70 points in the past and has 4 60+ point seasons. Bergeron had 2 70 point seasons in the past and also has 4 60+ point seasons. Iginla had 61 this year and hasn't scored less then 63 in a full season since 1999. Eriksson has had 3 70 point seasons. Boston has many high end forwards. Look At the Blues who don't. Out of their whole roster combined, the whole team has 7 60+ point seasons and 4 of the 7 came from Derek Roy who hasn't been at that level in about 5 years. Boston's offense is nothing like the Blues. It is far better and there are at least 3 if not 4 forwards on the Bruins who I would take over any forward on the Blues. Not to mention that Oshie and Backes have been absolutely invisible in the playoffs throughout their careers. If your best two forwards are Oshie and Backes, you aren't winning a cup. A must win game and the Blues scored a whopping 1 goal. The Bruins have 2 full lines of guys who can or do score 60+ points on a regular basis. Steen also was a major fluke this year and is merely a 20 goal 50 point guy at best. He won't score 30 goals next year that's for sure.

And love the people who say point production doesn't matter. I forgot that the object of the game isn't to score goals. I guess there is a different way to win games that doesn't involve putting the puck in the other teams net :lol: Goals and points don't matter to some posters when judging players, I guess we should judge forwards on their defensive prowess and goals be damned :sarcasm: a team full of Sean Couturiers and Jordan Staals would steamroll the 80s Oilers :laugh::laugh:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Jeremy Rutherford ‏@jprutherford 22m

Army: "Dmitrij Jaskin and Jake Allen are going to have jobs. It's for them to lose, not for them to gain." #stlblues

Jeremy Rutherford ‏@jprutherford 23m

Army: "With all due respect, and not to come off as a smart (aleck) ... (1/2)

Jeremy Rutherford ‏@jprutherford 23m

"but when Barret Jackman and Chris Porter are tied for third for scoring, you need more from other people." (2/2) #stlblues

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I guess the lesson is if you're not going to have an elite offensive forward you'd better damn well roll with four 60 point scorers and Norris and Vezina winners

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Jeremy Rutherford ‏@jprutherford 22m
Army: "Dmitrij Jaskin and Jake Allen are going to have jobs. It's for them to lose, not for them to gain." #stlblues

No intention of signing Miller, IMO. And smart of them.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Blues are built on the wing and they dont have that guy that can take over a game when they need him to (Toews).

Hell I think even Backes was drafted as a Winger and converted to Center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad