So... Las Vegas now has Oilers as favourite to win the Cup.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Someone did bring up a good point that tons of crazy oilers fans may have bet on the disgusting odds before the playoffs and they have to adjust, but when a team gets hot a team gets hot. Still very weird.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Odds shift as teams win and get closer to the needed 16 wins. Pittsburgh should move ahead after tonight's win.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Odds shift as teams win and get closer to the needed 16 wins. Pittsburgh should move ahead after tonight's win.

Bingo. At the time the odds in the OP went on the board the Oilers were the only team with two wins in the Conference semi finals.

If the Oilers win tomorrow they'll probably leap frog Pittsburgh again.

Lines are set to get even amounts of money on either side of the bet. At 3-0 the Oilers will get a lot of money coming in on them.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Someone did bring up a good point that tons of crazy oilers fans may have bet on the disgusting odds before the playoffs and they have to adjust, but when a team gets hot a team gets hot. Still very weird.

I don't know a whole lot about sports gambling, but I'm going to assume that they can't turn around and change the odds after the bets have been made, correct?

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I don't know a whole lot about sports gambling, but I'm going to assume that they can't turn around and change the odds after the bets have been made, correct?

No they keep all the 30-1 bets from the start of the playoffs, but anyone new has 3-1

Don't know how sound the logic is though...

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
They can change the odds still just not the odds you wagered on

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Well it's not like we are such an underdog. We had 103 points in the season. I know people say that playoffs is a different game, but tell that to the Sharks. We're a good team now.

And look at our path to the finals. We're up 2-0 to the Ducks, and both major contenders in the west were knocked out in the first round.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
There are probably a lot of eager oiler fans willing to bet on the team, so they lower the payout to take advantage of that fact. Odds aren't purely based on chance to win.

Oilers93

Apr 27, 2012
Edmonton
34ql3xv.jpg

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
I thought I was the only one silly enough to believe we can win it all this season.

I'll do you one better, my brackets have Edmonton and Ottawa in the Finals. I was 7 for 8 in round one.

Chooch

Nov 4, 2006
Edmonton
The team that tanks and misses the playoffs for a decade, wins a ton of #1 picks including a generational talent BETTER be atop Vegas odds to win the cup.

We took advantage of an exploit and it won't be happening again. We better be consistent from here on out.

Still sickens me that MacT and Kevin Lowe are with the organization.

jeblers

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
It was set this way because the 2 favorites are facing each other still (Caps and Penguins). We have the better odds as we have an easier path.

The winner of that series will shoot up to cup favorite, more than likely.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Bingo. At the time the odds in the OP went on the board the Oilers were the only team with two wins in the Conference semi finals.

If the Oilers win tomorrow they'll probably leap frog Pittsburgh again.

Lines are set to get even amounts of money on either side of the bet. At 3-0 the Oilers will get a lot of money coming in on them.

Exactly. Basically the odds reflect the belief that the oilers have put themselves into a position of being in the final four.
in comparison, the other series are "splitting" the odds. whoever comes out of the Nash series will still probably be favored in the west. The winner of the Pitts Wash series will be the overall favorites. I think most people feel the Wash/Pitts series will reveal the eventual cup winner.

Pitts will be the favorites in vegas tomorrow

snag

Feb 22, 2014
The team that tanks and misses the playoffs for a decade, wins a ton of #1 picks including a generational talent BETTER be atop Vegas odds to win the cup.

We took advantage of an exploit and it won't be happening again. We better be consistent from here on out.

Still sickens me that MacT and Kevin Lowe are with the organization.

No...we got lucky. In spite of the incompetence....we got lucky. Damn lucky. Just like Jersey got lucky yesterday....of course,different setup....but they got lucky nonetheless.

And I agree with MacT and Lowe....if it was up to me, they would be cleaning Rogers Place urinals.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
No they keep all the 30-1 bets from the start of the playoffs, but anyone new has 3-1

Don't know how sound the logic is though...

To give Edmonton 3-1 odds at this point is pretty much suggesting that Edmonton only needs to worry about the Penguins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad