So Jets are down to 27 players, and need to be 23.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
FreePress quote
"Winnipeg now has 27 players in town, including nine defencemen, 15 forwards and three goalies and must whittle that down to 23 players by early next week. Assuming Eddie Pasquale is reassigned, that leaves some players still on the bubble: forwards Chris Thorburn, Anthony Peluso, Eric Tangradi (who is injured) and Patrice Cormier, defencemen Zach Redmond, Paul Postma and Adam Pardy."

Now what? :soap:

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Pasquale
Pardy
Redmond (work on shaking off the rust while Trouba gets 9 games up with the big club)
Cormier

Cormier and O'Dell become the 1st call ups

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
16-18-26
9-12-40
15-55-67
27-19-17
14 *22

Cormier is sent down. I hope Thorburn is waived/assigned but I think it's unlikely.

39-44
24-33
5-4

Pardy is sent down and clears waivers. Redmond is sent down.

That's my best guess.

If Thorburn gets assigned Redmond stays up.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Pasquale
Pardy
Redmond (work on shaking off the rust while Trouba gets 9 games up with the big club)
Cormier

9 games means nothing at all for Trouba. He is free to go back and forth between NHL and AHL all season, and his contract burns a year regardless of where he plays. He is no different than any other signed player.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Pasquale
Pardy
Cormier

Pretty much how I see it as well.

If they want to keep Cormier, then I would waive Thorburn in all honesty

peg

Jul 8, 2010
If Cormier has to clear, I would be more inclined to send Thorburn down. Less likely anyone else would pick up Thorbs and I would be surprised if he is in the Jets plans beyond this year.

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
9 games means nothing at all for Trouba. He is free to go back and forth between NHL and AHL all season, and his contract burns a year regardless of where he plays. He is no different than any other signed player.

Are you sure? not trying to dispute that, but the training camp thread came to another conclusion:

Holden will have to give us the 411, but I think contracts can slide in the AHL.

It looks like Lindholms did last year:

http://www.capgeek.com/player/2331

Trouba wasn't drafted from CHL so it's different for him. Just like Lindholm (as Huffer pointed out) was euro draft.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Are you sure? not trying to dispute that, but the training camp thread came to another conclusion:

Yes, I am sure. It is NOT the AHL that prevents the slide. Contracts have absolutely no problem sliding in AHL. It's the ages that are the problem.

Ages can be tricky. Since Trouba signed his contract during the CALENDAR year where he was 19, he contract was only eligible to slide once. Since it started during the 2012-13 season and he did not make it to 9 games that season, his contract slide last season. That was the only time it was eligible to slide.

It's really stupid since this is his 19 year old year and had he signed at the START of last season his contract could slide this year (as well as last year). If he had signed this summer the contract could have slide this year as well. I imagine the Jets explained this and it was an incentive to sign last year.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Yes, I am sure. It is NOT the AHL that prevents the slide. Contracts have absolutely no problem sliding in AHL. It's the ages that are the problem.

Ages can be tricky. Since Trouba signed his contract during the CALENDAR year where he was 19, he contract was only eligible to slide once. Since it started during the 2012-13 season and he did not make it to 9 games that season, his contract slide last season. That was the only time it was eligible to slide.

It's really stupid since this is his 19 year old year and had he signed at the START of last season his contract could slide this year (as well as last year). If he had signed this summer the contract could have slide this year as well. I imagine the Jets explained this and it was an incentive to sign last year.

Have you thought of going to law school? Your attention to contract detail is quite fascinating and would suit you well as a contract/copy-write lawyer. Good money to be had there.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
FreePress quote
"Winnipeg now has 27 players in town, including nine defencemen, 15 forwards and three goalies and must whittle that down to 23 players by early next week. Assuming Eddie Pasquale is reassigned, that leaves some players still on the bubble: forwards Chris Thorburn, Anthony Peluso, Eric Tangradi (who is injured) and Patrice Cormier, defencemen Zach Redmond, Paul Postma and Adam Pardy."

Now what? :soap:

LOVE the avatar!!

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

I had yet not concluded it would indeed slide, but knew there are circumstances in which players not drafted in the CHL could indeed play in the AHL and have it slide.

I was thinking they might but wasn't sure either way... but seems Holden has cleared it all for us :)

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Why is Cormier so overrated? Because he was dealt for Kovalchuk, because he played in the WJC, or because he got on TSN for a dirty hit?

Love him on faceoffs, but there's no chance he gets in the lineup ahead of Tangradi or Wright. Can't skate.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

I am sure you are sure, but I am still unsure.
We agree that, having signed in April of this year as a 19 year old, his contract was eligible to slide 1 year...but when is that year over? My interpretation is that his slide will end in April 2014 (ie after 365 days, not after the season), effectively allowing the Jets to defer his ELC this season if he doesn't play 10 games.
I am not a lawyer but I did read the CBA and found that part ambiguous.

peg

Jul 8, 2010
Why is Cormier so overrated? Because he was dealt for Kovalchuk, because he played in the WJC, or because he got on TSN for a dirty hit?

Love him on faceoffs, but there's no chance he gets in the lineup ahead of Tangradi or Wright. Can't skate.

I don't think anyone on this thread was saying Cormier is better than Tangradi or even Wright. Just that he is a more valuable asset then Thorburn and if there was a risk of losing Cormier it would make sense to waive Thorburn.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I am sure you are sure, but I am still unsure.
We agree that, having signed in April of this year as a 19 year old, his contract was eligible to slide 1 year...but when is that year over? My interpretation is that his slide will end in April 2014 (ie after 365 days, not after the season), effectively allowing the Jets to defer his ELC this season if he doesn't play 10 games.
I am not a lawyer but I did read the CBA and found that part ambiguous.

No idea what you are trying to say here. Contracts only slide for each playing season.

Hell even if the ELC slides "one year" as you put it, it still kicks in in Arpil 2014. Meaning that it would start during the 2013-14 season, meaning he has to play on that contract to finish the year, burning the year. It cannot slide again. Contracts do not run from April to April.

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
I don't think anyone on this thread was saying Cormier is better than Tangradi or even Wright. Just that he is a more valuable asset then Thorburn and if there was a risk of losing Cormier it would make sense to waive Thorburn.

Completely agree.

I do not feel Thorbs is in the long term plans, and is a bit older.

Cormier is serviceable as a fill in, and isnt completely useless with the puck either.

If we're risking one to waivers i'd rather it be Thorburn

Thesaurus

Lyrical Wordsmith
Dec 14, 2011
The Cosmos
I think what Thorburn brings to the locker room will be a big factor in him sticking around. For guys who play 4-5 minutes a night have something that sets them apart(Thorburn being the Joker in the locker room and bring good friends with Kane) makes the difference in who sticks around.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
^ I dislike this logic. If your players need a "joker" in the dressing room to perform well what kinda team do you got.

A team of human beings rather than a team of statistics on skates? :) What workplace doesn't need different types of personalities to succeed?

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Based on what I've seen so far, I would make the following cuts.

Adam Pardy
Zach Redmond
Anthony Peluso
Al Montoya/Eddie Pasquale.

Redmond showed he can play in the NHL last year before his injury, so I see him as the first call up. Trouba can always be assigned to the AHL if he struggles in the regular season and replaced with Redmond or Pardy. Pardy is just too slow but he did show some promise as a 6th, 7th defenceman last game.

Peluso hasn't really made an impression on me and Thorburn has better chemistry with Slater than Peluso does. So I see Peluso getting cut. Either way, they are similar players and it wouldn't make too much of a difference on who is sent down.

The interesting cut will be either Montoya or Pasquale. I've liked what I've seen so far from Pasquale so far and Montoya has hardly played in the past year. It may benefit Montoya to play in the AHL for a bit as he will most likely clear waivers. At the same time, giving more playing time for Pasquale wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Edit: Just saw that Pasquale was sent down so there is one less player to worry about.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad