WJC: So, I get to broadcast a pre-tournament World Junior game tomorrow night

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Well, I work at a radio station in SK, and tomorrow night we are broadcasting a pre tournament game and I get to do colour for it. The only down side is the fact that it is between Latvia and Austria :laugh:. The rosters are going to be full of unknowns and the names will be super tough to pronounce. It is still going to be a great career builder, good for the resume and just something cool that I can say I have done.

Looking forward to the unique experience :)

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
UNTERGANSCHNIGG over to PALLESTRANG, Dropped to MÃœHLSTEIN back to UNTERGANSCHNIGG....onetimer....SCORES!!!!!!!

Good luck dude!!!!!

:)

Here's hoping UNTERGANSCHNIGG has the game of his life!

fong p88

Jul 24, 2006
Saskatchewan

Haha, thought so. I'm guessing they put you up in the lounge thingy above the lobby. I haven't been to that rink in a few years but get some chickenfingers and a cheeseburger they are unreal. I have a friend there who might have a ticket for me if I can make it down after work. It's only an hours drive but i've still got some Christmas shopping to do anyway.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Haha, thought so. I'm guessing they put you up in the lounge thingy above the lobby. I haven't been to that rink in a few years but get some chickenfingers and a cheeseburger they are unreal. I have a friend there who might have a ticket for me if I can make it down after work. It's only an hours drive but i've still got some Christmas shopping to do anyway.

Cool thanks for the advice. Yeah, i havent been to the rink before and am driving from North Battleford. You should check it out if you can, Im sure it will be a fun atmosphere even if they are two weird teams.

Sakaarnis

Dec 19, 2004
Bay of smokes
Just remember all that all Latvian names finish with an S.

That is not true, my friend. All names in masculine form and nominativ case has S in the end. In feminine form and nominativ case it's never S. Just for example forward Veldze.

Also, for example, in genitive case, names that had S in the end now have A. (Nominativ - Rberts Bukarts. genitive - Roberta Bukarta.)

Its about time to stop generalising this S issue. its pure grammar.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Well its safe to say that we will butcher the names....but the very vast majority of people listening wont know the difference.

habsman56

Habs&Hoops
Nov 15, 2008
Pick a random player, and anytime his name comes up say:

"He hasn't a point in 3 games, HFBoard posters tell me he is officially a bust"

Jul 6, 2008
GTA
Give us some sort of shout-out. Unless you will get fired in which case don't ruin your future career.

You're lucky. Regardless of the two teams facing each other it will be a great experience for your career. As someone who has some serious interest in getting into Sports Broadcasting in the very near future (im already over 18+ :help:) I wish you great luck.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
That's outstanding! I'd love to call a game, regardless of who's playing. Best of luck! Don't fret about the names...Don Cherry butchers names for a living.

~Canucklehead~

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
cool stuff.. congrats on the opportunity and good luck

i sometimes wish i had gotten into some kind of broadcasting career path.. i've always been told i have a great voice for it but i decided to get into the business world, ah well

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
All the best players don't finish with an "S" anyways. Ozolinsh, irbe and Zholtok. ;)

Not quite. Ozolinsh is actually spelled Ozoliņš, so it does end in an s, he just added the h so it would be pronounced correctly (Heads up to Renegade Stylings: tonights roster has 3 three players with the same issue: Kenins, Kalnins and Mazins should all be pronounced as if they had an h at the end). Zholtok had an s added when he played with the national team, but since he's ethically Russian, he used the proper spelling in the NHL. Anyways, good luck with the commentary tonight RS. I'll let you know how badly you f-ed up :D

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2008
GTA
So glad I finished my drink before I watched the video. Or there would be Dr.Pepper all over my monitor. And boom goes the dynamite! lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad