So, how many goals does this Kessel kid get next season?

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Bad news: Kessel will only score 20 goals

Good news: He'll lead the league after refs agree in early October that the game has moved too far back to the dark days of the pre-DPE.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Phil is putting up 52 next year. He's 50/50 to get top pairing match ups. He hasn't had that kind of protection ever in Toronto.

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
He's an automatic lock for 30 every year (with Bozak as his center) next to Crosby he can break 40.

Your powerplay is going to be exciting to watch, Phil is lethal on it. Plus he's supposed to be training with Gary Roberts this summer. We've never seen a Phil Kessel commit to fitness before...

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I went with 30-35 because I want to temper my expectations. I could see 35 goals, 45 assists or something. The thing with Kessel is he won't just be a leech. I think the better question is how many more goals does the top 6 score in total, rather than just Phil. I could see Geno or Sid getting back to 40+ goal territory if they play with him.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I went with 30-35 because I want to temper my expectations. I could see 35 goals, 45 assists or something. The thing with Kessel is he won't just be a leech. I think the better question is how many more goals does the top 6 score in total, rather than just Phil. I could see Geno or Sid getting back to 40+ goal territory if they play with him.

Good point.

Especially in the playoffs.

The go to move was to blanket Crosby/Malkin and dare their crappy wings to do something.

Go and try that now.

I double dare you.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Well the board seems pretty optimistic. I also went with the 40-50 range. It seems reasonable if you consider the following:

- He no longer has to deal with the media, pressure and atmosphere he had in Toronto. A new team and new start likely means re-acquired motivation and drive. Leafs fans complained that he took "days off" or looked lazy at times. I could see less of that happening when you are on a winning team and playing with Sidney Crosby and company.
- Supposedly he's been training with Gary Roberts
- First year of 3 on 3 OT
-Great track record of staying healthy
- Crosby/Malkin as line-mates and a PP with Letang, Crosby, Malkin and Kessel? AYFKM?

While I wasn't a big fan of some of his overall flaws, he NEVER took games off.

That would be the single biggest compliment I can give him. He has a motor that keeps going offensively.

Just like most snipers, they go on cold steaks, same with Kessel and he would get fraustrated.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
While I wasn't a big fan of some of his overall flaws, he NEVER took games off.

That would be the single biggest compliment I can give him. He has a motor that keeps going offensively.

Just like most snipers, they go on cold steaks, same with Kessel and he would get fraustrated.

it happens with Sid and Geno too. The idea now is that Sid and Geno now have another level of support when it happens. One more guy to help carry that weight so that a cold streak from one doesn't hurt the team as much. He's never had that support at all, and now he's third in line as far as scoring expectations go. I'm no psychologist, but I would have to think that would have to make it a bit easier to snap a cold streak just due to how much less pressure is on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad