so how did Lindholm do?

siegeofshanghai*

I think Elias Lindholm is the youngest swedish forward to ever play consistently in the NHL. So scoring "just" 20 points is a good achievement for him.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I thought he got stronger/better as the season went on. His playmaking and ability to find the open guy is top notch. Definitely showed glimpses of the future. I didn't think he shot the puck enough earlier in the season but towards the end of the season he was shooting more as it was obvious he felt more comfortable and confident out there. I didn't know that he was the youngest Swedish forward to play that much. I think his future is quite bright, especially if the chemistry with Skinner continues.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Definitely night and day better after the WJC. An offseason to put on some size should do wonders for him. I wouldn't be surprised with a 20/20 year if he plays mostly with Skinner next year. Well, given Skinner's play style, maybe more like 15/25.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I honestly never would've thought that he'd be the youngest Swede to score a goal and play regularly. That's great to hear.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
he has looked good and really improved over the course of the season. he appears to be a smart player, a play maker, who some have compared to Backstrom, which seems about right so far. I particularly liked how he was eagerly going to the dirty areas later in the season, fighting for the puck and wasn't afraid to charge in first, not shying away at all from being hit to make a play. he also demonstrated defensive awareness. all in all Lindholm looks like he is a complete package. next year will be very telling and I wouldn't put him up too high on a pedestal quite yet. that said, if everything works out and he continues on the path he seems to be on, he may turn out to be the best all around draft pick Carolina has selected that stayed with the team.

13 days younger than Landeskog who more than doubled Lindholm's point production in his rookie year.

edit: while most figured that he would be able to jump right in this year and be more productive, that was a bit of a stretch (with other circumstances too) but not much. if he picks up where he left off this year he will without a doubt be a regular contributor in the line up next season.

Last edited:

dj wes o yes

Mar 25, 2014
i feel like he did an excellent job this season. Did he have a "Jeff Skinner" rookie season? No! This kid has so much heart and grit, he is gonna be great! Sit back and watch

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
How high is the ceiling I wonder, in terms of production. He looks like an above average day to day guy at least though, so I'm pretty happy with him. Plays with some spunk, has quick hands, great at cutting down angles and forcing turnovers and can finish in tight. He may yet become a higher end defensive player.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I'm asking him to be Backstrom-lite to Skinner's Ovi-lite. Basically a 2nd line version of those two.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
the strides that Lindholm made over the course of the season, he made on his own and that's very promising. I may be the only one on this board that would trade Skinner but I have amended that lately. this coaching staff got zip out of these players and none improved over the year. every night guys like Skinner, Faulk, Murphy and others played the same and made the same mistakes - all year long. I'm willing to wait and see what a different coaching staff can do with Skinner's game at this point but I doubt that him or Lindholm, or anyone else will flourish here the way things are.

SkinnersAWinner

Apr 13, 2014
Clemson, SC
the strides that Lindholm made over the course of the season, he made on his own and that's very promising. I may be the only one on this board that would trade Skinner but I have amended that lately. this coaching staff got zip out of these players and none improved over the year. every night guys like Skinner, Faulk, Murphy and others played the same and made the same mistakes - all year long. I'm willing to wait and see what a different coaching staff can do with Skinner's game at this point but I doubt that him or Lindholm, or anyone else will flourish here the way things are.

I agree that our talent development isn't where it should be. But I just saw that Skinner is 16th in goals for the history of the franchise. We may not have the most illustrious history, but that's pretty impressive for only playing three seasons.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
I agree that our talent development isn't where it should be. But I just saw that Skinner is 16th in goals for the history of the franchise. We may not have the most illustrious history, but that's pretty impressive for only playing three seasons.

it looks like Lindholm projects to be a complete player. Skinner is a good skater with a deceptive release and a good shot...that's it. he offers nothing else at this point and it's debateable whether or not he is in fact a detriment to the team even though they are starving for goals.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
it looks like Lindholm projects to be a complete player. Skinner is a good skater with a deceptive release and a good shot...that's it. he offers nothing else at this point and it's debateable whether or not he is in fact a detriment to the team even though they are starving for goals.

I seriously question your ability to evaluate a hockey player, if this is the conclusion you drew from his season.

I was looking at the 2010 draft the other day, and noticed that Skinner still leads everyone in goals scored, and trails Seguin for number 2 in points per game by just a bit. Even if he stays as the number three guy in that class, that's still quite a steal.

Jun 13, 2010
NC
I thought from the very first game you could see the talent was there, but he was still adjusting to NA/ being an 18 year old NHL player until after the WJC's. When he came back from that I think he took a nice step forward, especially on the line with Skinner and Nash, and would expect him to do the same next year. I think he could be one of my favorite players in a few years.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere

You realize that being a "good skater with a deceptive release and a good shot" is basically the main thing you want from a winger... right?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I thought Skinner improved defensively as the year went on.

Now, he went from 'hopeless' to 'below average', but it was still a marked improvement.

Lindholm also vastly improved as the year went on.

I have no idea what Rocky7's problem with our coaching staff is, or why he thinks they got zip out of an 18 year old European hockey player and a 21 year old who scored 30+ goals for the second time in his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad