Boston Bruins So far in March, the Bruins have played 13 games - 26 points available - They have banked 20

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I honestly think this team is actually better than the 2011 cup winning club.
Depth, puck battles, 3rd period comebacks, Stable in every position, winning despite massive injuries and on and on..
Time will tell.
Not sure I would go that far,2011 had more depth for scoring 3 lines that could score.But like you say only time will tell.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I guess that's what separates us from the folks that are true students of the game AND more importantly, have first hand information on each player being brought into the fold

With what dom is able to know, it's not surprising to see this team standing against adversity very well through a stretch like this

But I wouldn't call someone who didn't expect this a "hater", more likely they are a Bruins fan who has seen time and time again this team fall on its face, especially when they're decimated with the injuries that they are

I think if anything, now more than ever we as cynical bruins fans can really believe in what Sweeney and Co are building

Which is why I said he's probably one of of the only people on the board qualified to make that statement...but Dom, and people like him are in the rare minority when it comes to fans.

So, perhaps I should amend my statement to be "if you saw this coming you're either lying, work within/follow professional hockey for a living, or need to play the lottery" :laugh:

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Which is why I said he's probably one of of the only people on the board qualified to make that statement...but Dom, and people like him are in the rare minority when it comes to fans.

So, perhaps I should amend my statement to be "if you saw this coming you're either lying, work within/follow professional hockey for a living, or need to play the lottery" :laugh:

All I know is this team is giving me the same special feelings I had in 2011, which I guess it's raises the stakes for me at this point, the season can only end even more dissappointingly at this point if they're not touching silver in June

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
All I know is this team is giving me the same special feelings I had in 2011, which I guess it's raises the stakes for me at this point, the season can only end even more dissappointingly at this point if they're not touching silver in June
If they can get healthy,and stay healthy they definitely have a good shot.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
It's tough to compare the 2011 squad to this one because they're so different. I will say both teams had personnel that fit and fully bought into the coach's system.

That 2011 team was mean and remarkably tough. A very hard team to play against. With the way the game is trending, I don't know that we'll ever see a team built like that acheive the same level of success. We saw how Claude and Chia's philosophy hasn't been able to sustain success as the game has evolved.

Don and Bruce have done a great job of replicating that team's drive, effort, and commitment to the system. The difference is their system is more effective in the modern NHL. They may not be as big in stature as the 2011 team, but I believe this team is just as big in heart, and in that regard, the spirit of the Big, Bad Bruins is very much still alive.

Reactions: Fenway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad