So.. Edmonton has to be the favorites coming out of the west, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
OP doesn't even know Lehner is on VGK... should probably go take a look at the rest of the west before making this thread.

To answer though as an Oilers fan, STL, VGK, COL, and DAL still ahead of the Oilers in terms of favorites, it'll be interesting to see how the Oilers pickups impact the team to finish up the season then I'll reassess our playoff aspirations

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
I am a huge Oiler fan, and I think our chances improved however, the Cup finals in the West still go through St Louis.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Blues aside who get that title due to being the recent champs I guess, but Edmonton looks legit now, and I think there are a few factors.

- Weak pacific division means in theory, they should have one of the easiest 1st and maybe 2nd rounds out of the entire league aside from whoever facing the 3rd spot in the Atlantic.

- Draisatl has come alive and is legit. Yammo has fit like a glove with him, and they have two legit superstars better than any two currently playing (yes better than Sido and Geno in their current form).

- McDavid is back and healthy and finally has wingers. This is the first time the Oilers have a legit top 6 in a decade.

- 1st PP in the league and 2nd best PK. In general, being top 5 in both is an indicator of playoff success.

- Then you look at what Draisatl produces the last time they made the playoffs, and realize McDavid is in his prime now.

I'm not sure there is a team out west that can stop the Oilers. Have to imagine that they should be a lock for at least the WCF, and if they do not make the finals, it will be in a hard fought series deep in the playoffs.

I personally, don't think there is a better team out west and they are likely one of the favorites if they played in the east. Maybe they are only stopped by a more experienced team from the east if they make the finals like Tampa or the Pens.

Is this some kind of attempt to mask your Oiler-bashing tendencies and jinx them at the same time?
"Proud Canes Fan" now because it's not looking so hot for the Leafs and Carolina just loaded up?

Reactions: Laodongxi

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I’d rank the West as:
Blues
Colorado
Vegas
Dallas.

I’m not sold on the Oilers D or goal tending. They will go as far as their two work horses carry them.
Often I find goal differential is a pretty good measurement of a team. Although it’s obviously not the be all and end all the top teams tend to have a high goal differential. The Oilers are a middle of the pack plus 6. I don’t really see them as a threat to come out of the West but anything can happen.

President Skroob

Dec 21, 2019
Blues aside who get that title due to being the recent champs I guess, but Edmonton looks legit now, and I think there are a few factors.

- Weak pacific division means in theory, they should have one of the easiest 1st and maybe 2nd rounds out of the entire league aside from whoever facing the 3rd spot in the Atlantic.

- Draisatl has come alive and is legit. Yammo has fit like a glove with him, and they have two legit superstars better than any two currently playing (yes better than Sido and Geno in their current form).

- McDavid is back and healthy and finally has wingers. This is the first time the Oilers have a legit top 6 in a decade.

- 1st PP in the league and 2nd best PK. In general, being top 5 in both is an indicator of playoff success.

- Then you look at what Draisatl produces the last time they made the playoffs, and realize McDavid is in his prime now.

I'm not sure there is a team out west that can stop the Oilers. Have to imagine that they should be a lock for at least the WCF, and if they do not make the finals, it will be in a hard fought series deep in the playoffs.

I personally, don't think there is a better team out west and they are likely one of the favorites if they played in the east. Maybe they are only stopped by a more experienced team from the east if they make the finals like Tampa or the Pens.

So...No. Did you mean to type "Pacific" instead of "West" ? If so....still no.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
They've got a punchers chance, but defense wins in the playoffs...and they're...not great.
I wouldn't put too much stock in their special teams during the playoffs either. Better be dominant at 5-on-5 or you're going to lose.

Meh. Pens showed that you can win with an elite pair of centers and hot goaltending. I don't see this being a problem for them.

OP doesn't even know Lehner is on VGK... should probably go take a look at the rest of the west before making this thread.

To answer though as an Oilers fan, STL, VGK, COL, and DAL still ahead of the Oilers in terms of favorites, it'll be interesting to see how the Oilers pickups impact the team to finish up the season then I'll reassess our playoff aspirations

Of course I know that he is, I just don't see them not going with Fleury here. He's been their franchise player and honestly, what has Lehner proven? He won a round last year but got swept right after.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019

I noticed that nowhere in this did you mention their defence, or lack there of, or how they fixed it at the deadline(which they didn't). Also their goaltending is suspect most nights. They didn't address that either. Bringing in 2 forwards know for their "greatness" on the defensive end and an offence first Mike Green isn't making them the favorites in anything.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Meh. Pens showed that you can win with an elite pair of centers and hot goaltending. I don't see this being a problem for them.

Of course I know that he is, I just don't see them not going with Fleury here. He's been their franchise player and honestly, what has Lehner proven? He won a round last year but got swept right after.

Great statements. Is that all the Pens had?
As if one player decides the outcome of a series.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Let's pump the breaks.... I'm not even entirely convinced they're actually going to make the playoffs...

I'd put at least: Colorado, St. Louis, and VGK ahead of them at this point.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Is this some kind of attempt to mask your Oiler-bashing tendencies and jinx them at the same time?
"Proud Canes Fan" now because it's not looking so hot for the Leafs and Carolina just loaded up?

..No? Nothing to do with the Leafs. Oilers have proven this year they have cup pedigree, Leafs haven't proven it in 4 years. That's all.

I've been following the Canes for like 5 seasons now.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton

Lehner has been better than Fluery this year and last year, also I can't see Vegas first of all targeting a guy like Lehner then going through all the work to make the cap work without thinking he could be there guy during playoff time..

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I don't actually like the AA trade. So many red flags with that guy that I think what you're getting is less than the sum of its parts.

I don't like their goaltending or D, even though Green was a decent add. And regular season PP/PK is very different from playoff PP/PK. In a seven game series, you coach against a particular team, so a lot of the 82 game trends fall apart over the more targeted coaching.

They got better. They got a shot in a weak conference, especially since Colorado wimped out and didn't do anything of note. I still like Vegas and St. Louis, but Edmonton is in a decent shape in that second tier of teams.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
..No? Nothing to do with the Leafs. Oilers have proven this year they have cup pedigree, Leafs haven't proven it in 4 years. That's all.

I've been following the Canes for like 5 seasons now.
Just curious but how have the Oilers proven this year they have Cup pedigree? The Pacific is pretty weak and they are in about the same spot as your Leafs who are getting roasted in Toronto. They would be in 10th spot in the East by points. They have a plus 6 goal differential and lead the Pacific by one point having played one more game than the team behind them.

Reactions: Metal Tattooist 71

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
'Pedigree' would mean they won the cup before.

Just curious but how have the Oilers proven this year they have Cup pedigree? The Pacific is pretty weak and they are in about the same spot as your Leafs who are getting roasted in Toronto. The Oilers have a plus 6 goal differential and lead the Pacific by one point having played one more game than the team behind them.

Pedigree is not results, it's a mentality. It's doing what it takes to win. Say what you want about their goaltending or their defense, but they are the 2nd best team at killing penalties.

When you watch them, you see McDavid and Drai giving it their all most nights. They set the tempo and the rest of the team follows, talent be damned.

Now they acquired either through trade or drafting players to compliment these guys who can produce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->