GDT: So Close You Can Taste It: Rangers @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camille the Eel

Crosschecking a Canadiens forward in the face, while already down a man, in a game in which you're fighting for your playoff lives isn't a stupid mistake?
Lovejoy yes screened the hell out of Kinkaid on the Montreal goal. Down to a knee to block a shot too early when he was miles from the shooter and way too early and merely provided a screen. But that turnover on the PK was on the other hand not his fault.

Tonight's game is particularly hard because we don't know this Rangers team that well, after the house cleaning, especially on the defensive end. They've recently tried to crash us down low with Kreider, Zabinejad, Bucenevich and Hayes and I expect we'll see that again. We need to be prepared for crude muscle down low. I think it's particularly important that we stand up well in the neutral zone and not let their bulky players get speed and momentum crashing into our end.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Crosschecking a Canadiens forward in the face, while already down a man, in a game in which you're fighting for your playoff lives isn't a stupid mistake?

Anyone can take a bad penalty, Lovejoy isn’t a serial offender, I’m talking about constantly getting caught up ice after reckless pinches leaving John Moore of all people to try to clean up the mess.

Reactions: Taylor Hall

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Lovejoy yes screened the hell out of Kinkaid on the Montreal goal. Down to a knee to block a shot too early when he was miles from the shooter and way too early and merely provided a screen. But that turnover on the PK was on the other hand not his fault.
We're not talking about the same play.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
lovejoy is where our offense goes to die, breakouts never get started and the other team’s offense feasts

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Anyone can take a bad penalty, Lovejoy isn’t a serial offender, I’m talking about constantly getting caught up ice after reckless pinches leaving John Moore of all people to try to clean up the mess.
Fair-ish.

I just don't find his pinches to be that reckless.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
lovejoy is where our offense goes to die, breakouts never get started and the other team’s offense feasts
One of my favorite moments this season was a month or two ago. Butcher broke out of the zone and saw a wide-open Lovejoy streaking up the right side...

He decided to dump the puck in and go for a line change.

God Butcher is so smart.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Fair-ish.

I just don't find his pinches to be that reckless.

And I would prefer Sevs on the third pairing to Lovejoy, I’m just saying it’s not nearly as big a deal as fans are making it out to be, and most coaches would do this when it comes down to crunch time. Plus if Sevs was on the third pairing it might take away from Butcher’s offense constantly having to stay back and cover the wild pinches. And I’m sick to death of the 2-28 pairing, any excuse to end it is fine with me.

Reactions: HBK27 and Blender

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
And I would prefer Sevs on the third pairing to Lovejoy, I’m just saying it’s not nearly as big a deal as fans are making it out to be, and most coaches would do this when it comes down to crunch time. Plus if Sevs was on the third pairing it might take away from Butcher’s offense constantly having to stay back and cover the wild pinches. And I’m sick to death of the 2-28 pairing, any excuse to end it is fine with me.
28 isn't the issue with that pairing.

Reactions: Jets012

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
28 isn't the issue with that pairing.

He actually is atm, he’s the one making the more viscerally bad decisions, Moore isn’t very good at defending in the right spot but at least he’s closer to being in it...Moore’s offense has completely disappeared playing with Sevs and his defense isn’t exactly good enough to cover for the pinches. If you were sticking Sevs with a solid stay at home guy or his offense was on the Vat-Butcher level that’s one thing but neither is true.

Reactions: HBK27 and Blender

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Severson needs a partner who has his head on straight and doesn't take as many chances as he does. Moore is as dumb as a box of rocks, so that's a bad option. Butcher is okay, but has some defensive issues of his own (which are mostly due to his size and skating) so that's not ideal. Greene fits the type of partner he needs, but given the matchups he gets and his own decline I'm not sure that's much help. I wonder if Mueller would work well with him?

Reactions: HBK27

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Severson needs a partner who has his head on straight and doesn't take as many chances as he does. Moore is as dumb as a box of rocks, so that's a bad option. Butcher is okay, but has some defensive issues of his own (which are mostly due to his size and skating) so that's not ideal. Greene fits the type of partner he needs, but given the matchups he gets and his own decline I'm not sure that's much help. I wonder if Mueller would work well with him?

I’d rather try Moore with Mueller first on the second pairing. If that doesn’t work then try Mueller-Sevs.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
giphy.gif

I think this is a shame. That poor woman has to live with this the rest of her life, and he, in my view, is way out of line with this stuff. Kids watch this show. What sort of example and role model is he? Yeah, let's teach kids that they have to be humiliated by the boss. If any of my kids were on the show and he did this to them, regardless of the reason, there'd be a "discussion" after the show. What some people will do for money. Really awful.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
lovejoy still in over severson? jesus christ. ive steered clear of harping on lineup decisions but that is just flat out pitiful. just shouldn't happen, especially now. i usually try to think of justifiable reasons and give the benefit of the doubt, but there arent any for this nonsense.

You'd think Sevs would offer more than Lovejoy in sheltered minutes. Play Sevs on the third pair for a game if need be. I don't see Lovejoy making a difference in a good way these last few games.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Damon Severson is just 1 point shy of Travis Zajac.

John Moore still does his goofiest impression of Erik Karlsson on a nightly basis.

Just saying.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I think this is a shame. That poor woman has to live with this the rest of her life, and he, in my view, is way out of line with this stuff. Kids watch this show. What sort of example and role model is he? Yeah, let's teach kids that they have to be humiliated by the boss. If any of my kids were on the show and he did this to them, regardless of the reason, there'd be a "discussion" after the show. What some people will do for money. Really awful.
haha actually...

it's a parody!

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Damon Severson is just 1 point shy of Travis Zajac.

John Moore still does his goofiest impression of Erik Karlsson on a nightly basis.

Just saying.
Why is it every time someone criticizes Severson's defensive play, the response is always about his points or shot generation? No one disputes that he's good there.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Updated the Rags lineup based on the presumed lines skating from yesterday. Sounds like the 4th line will be some combo of Cody Mcleod-Paul Carey-Peter Holland and David Desharnais. Zuccarello sounds doubtful and Fast is done for the year.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
You'd think Sevs would offer more than Lovejoy in sheltered minutes. Play Sevs on the third pair for a game if need be. I don't see Lovejoy making a difference in a good way these last few games.

And hynes quotes on Severson are ironic given what lovejoy does most night's when he is paraded out there. If they are both on the butcher pairing anyways then its a no brainer. But alas the "steady vet" always wins. Knew he would find a way to get Lovejoy back in.

Reactions: My3Sons

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

you scummy f***er!!!

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Kick their ass. I want the same 4-0 drubbing they gave us on the last day of the season 5 years ago. @Bleedred knows what I'm talking about

I want revenge for the Fan Appreciation Day Massacre of 2015. Tried not to let it bother me but it did. They really need to be run out of the rink and I want to see Lundqvist pulled today. Late in the game as play goes on I want to see blue jerseys walking glumly up lower level staircases

Reactions: Bleedred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad