So before the sky falls competely in leaf land.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Sens fan in peace here.

It would seem like a coaching change would be the best option. Even if it's not even a good coach, it can still make the team motivated to play better, and better to do it now while they're still in a playoff spot. Take Ottawa for example, Cameron might not have been the most qualified guy, but it was enough to get the team going to win a couple games, and most Sens fans have noticed an improvement in their play.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
188 games and 310 games are both 4 months long now? Okay then.

If coaching changes worsen a team, then I'm all for it this season. Although you might want to cite some evidence for that claim.

Also it would be helpful to stop pretending that just making the playoffs once in a league where 16/30 teams go through is some kind of worthwhile achievement.

I never stated it was an achievement. Quite the contrary.

As for my claim, I cite the time just before Wilson got fired in 2012, HNIC ran numbers from coaches fired that season and how they fared before/after the change was made.

The result was worse.

One year granted, but for a team to get a change in coaching, rest assured, for them to adapt to possibly different systems and strategies, there will be problems.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd have no issue blowing up the core:

But I too would prefer to change coaches right away and use the rest of the season to see how they fair playing for a coach who isn't an incompetent dinosaur. If things still look as awful in April as they do now. Make your moves before the draft in June.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
My reaction to this team

LastIlliterateDragonfly.gif

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Sens fan in peace here.

It would seem like a coaching change would be the best option. Even if it's not even a good coach, it can still make the team motivated to play better, and better to do it now while they're still in a playoff spot. Take Ottawa for example, Cameron might not have been the most qualified guy, but it was enough to get the team going to win a couple games, and most Sens fans have noticed an improvement in their play.

thanks for coming in peace, but quite frankly, i don't want the playoffs (this year). it will screw this team up more

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
thanks for coming in peace, but quite frankly, i don't want the playoffs (this year). it will screw this team up more

It's probably a good year to not make the playoffs. As a Sens fan, I really couldn't care where we finish this year. If we start to lose games, great, we'll get a good pick. If we continue our play as of late and somehow sneak into a playoff spot, awesome, playoffs!! But with the new rules that everyone outside of a playoff spot gets a shot at first overall, no playoffs is looking fine as well.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
This core has stunk for the past 5 years? Why can't we build a winner the right way for once (drafting key players). Kessel will not win a Stanley Cup here, neither will Phanuef. We had a coaching change and we're still the same team that collapses. We've collapsed every freaking season for the past 4 years, but people still want to believe this team has a chance? I just don't get it.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
So many things on the to do list to get this team up to snuff!

How in God's name does one decide what step 1 is?

I would prefer a couple of trades before Randy is fired. Just to be sure where the real on ice problem lies. Since the coach change is usually the solution. To me the players in this case are definitely a big part of the problem...

Have no problem in changing the coach in the off season when the options are clear as to what is out there; eliminating the need for the interim crap.

I guess the problem in the cap world is that those trades are near impossible to make. I am sure discussions are ongoing.

I really don't think the players are playing the way Carlyle expects/wants... but we are in year 2+ so it's prob not gonna happen... lol

Anyway, something should be done with an eye to the future, whatever that ends up being I have no idea.

Very disappointed... and regret buying CI big time... Yea, I am a Leaf fan outside the Leafs market...

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
everyone but the people who actually go on the ice.

at this point, when you hear that the coaching staff is running video sessions after video sessions, spray painting things on the ice, so the players can see what they have to do, making things as 'easy' as possible (no more skates before games at home etc etc etc). -it's still just Carlyle's fault, and we need to see what we have with the team before we make decisions

Unless [insert coach name here] is going to make Phil Kessel go into corner and take a freaking hit sometimes, and get the puck to make a play, to make Bozak hustle his behind and make better defensive plays, to make Dion realise that hey the person in front of the net should be moved, to make Jake Gardiner play the freaking game of hockey, to actually step on the ice and play as if they give acrap about playing hockey, to hate to lose more than they want to win, then,, no I am sorry, I do not want to hear what we were 'last week" or two weeks ago.

when the going gets tough, this team goes "hey it's okay we showed up but who needs to play like we give a crap." no amount of coaching is going to change that attitude.

Best post of the year so far.

Edit:

I'm wondering what people will be blaming when this team still fails under a new coach :laugh:

This is a close second though.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
No matter what you do, you start by firing Carlyle. In no way or shape is he not a part of the problem. I agree that you should absolutely not put the blame entirely on his shoulders, or even mainly on his shoulders, but he is part of the problem.

1) Fire Carlyle. Get a replacement. Evaluate change in team play.
2) Trade core piece that doesn't respond to coaching change. Evaluate effect on the rest.
3) Rinse and repeat.

Most likely we will end up with a complete rebuild, with a few pieces to insulate upcoming prospects and veterans to make them fight for the spots. If it means we could retain a Gardiner who finds his game in a new system, or a Kessel who gets his deficiencies hid on a stronger line and better system, then that's great too.

I've said it many times. The whole team from top to bottom is so dysfunctional that it is hard to even evaluate individual pieces, every single weakness they have will get magnified on this team. Only by taking things apart will we be able to evaluate them properly.

StringsAttached

BPD Nation!
Oct 1, 2013
Vaughan, ON
Incompetence is rampant throughout this organization. From Shannahan down to Jake Gardiner. This culture oozes it.

Nonis is a clueless GM...he really is.
RC is ancient. The rest of his kind are extinct.

Phaneuf could be playing like Weber one night and then Del Zotto the next. Kessel might score 2 in one game and then not show up for the next 3 weeks.

Everyone needs to start praying feverishly to whatever God they believe in. Just remember not to lose your composure.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
This core has stunk for the past 5 years? Why can't we build a winner the right way for once (drafting key players). Kessel will not win a Stanley Cup here, neither will Phanuef. We had a coaching change and we're still the same team that collapses. We've collapsed every freaking season for the past 4 years, but people still want to believe this team has a chance? I just don't get it.

^^^^THIS

:handclap:

Finally some common sense.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I agree with the OP that the season should not be just wasted.

If they fire Carlyle anyway in the summer, doing it now before the slide goes too bad would be a much better use of time.

Give another coach and voice the rest of the season so we can see who can improve without Carlyle and who we really need to trade.

It's a no brainer. Sooner the better really. I say go in house until the right name becomes available. Why not, we have great hockey minds that were brought in.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I'm wondering what people will be blaming when this team still fails under a new coach :laugh:

Kessel, Bozak, Phaneuf...

But i definitely feel we should at least see what this team has with a coach who lets them play a little more and has a better suiting system... On paper this team should be good.

Guys like Gardiner and Rielly need a new coach and new system IMO...

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
The players on the team need to be held accountable as well. I am NOT a fan of Carlyle, but Im quite certain he didnt tell Kessel to float around in the neutral zone last night before we had even gotten the puck out of our zone (I think thay was the 3rd goal against?). Or to completely avoid ever fighting for loose pucks if the other team has a player somewhat near it.

Carlyles systems arent great, but he also doesnt instruct our top line to be a bunch of lazy floaters. Thats all on them. Last time I checked, Kadri, Santorelli, Winnik, Komarov, etc all play for the same coach, all put in more effort defensively, all have better +/-s, and all have better possession/shots against stats than the top line.

So the coach is a factor, but so are lazy one-dimensional floaters.

wmark

Apr 5, 2014
The players on the team need to be held accountable as well. I am NOT a fan of Carlyle, but Im quite certain he didnt tell Kessel to float around in the neutral zone last night before we had even gotten the puck out of our zone (I think thay was the 3rd goal against?). Or to completely avoid ever fighting for loose pucks if the other team has a player somewhat near it.

Carlyles systems arent great, but he also doesnt instruct our top line to be a bunch of lazy floaters. Thats all on them. Last time I checked, Kadri, Santorelli, Winnik, Komarov, etc all play for the same coach, all put in more effort defensively, all have better +/-s, and all have better possession/shots against stats than the top line.

So the coach is a factor, but so are lazy one-dimensional floaters.

It was amazing to hear Paul Maurice state his game plan before the game.

It was simple, possess the puck in the leafs end and we don't need to worry about our D.

His team executed.

Randy should not have started Reimer in Winnipeg.

Reimer is now 1-4-0 at Winnipeg. His save percentage now is 0.857 in Winnipeg.

That's not an NHL save %.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
It is not to late for the Leafs to allow their season to fall apart and join the rush for McEichel! Meh, who am I kidding, for the Leafs to do that bad they would need to trade their first rounder in this years draft first.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Randy should not have started Reimer in Winnipeg.

Reimer is now 1-4-0 at Winnipeg. His save percentage now is 0.857 in Winnipeg.

That's not an NHL save %.

Did Reimer manage that save % while playing in the NHL? If so I sadly submit that this is indeed an NHL save %:help:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Logical or Illogical?

The only Leafs coach that has taken the team to the playoffs in the past 10 years is now the main reason the Leafs will not make the playoffs under him now?

Carlyle has already taken an NHL team to the Stanley Cup in a Salary Cap era and its believed he doesn't know what he is doing as coach?

Something doesn't seem to add up here.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Logical or Illogical?

The only Leafs coach that has taken the team to the playoffs in the past 10 years is now the main reason the Leafs will not make the playoffs under him now?

Carlyle has already taken an NHL team to the Stanley Cup in a Salary Cap era and its believed he doesn't know what he is doing?

Something doesn't seem to add up here.

One thing to note about this observation is that the one season that this team did make the playoffs was in a shortened season. That team showed many of the same flaws as the team that fell apart last year and may well have fallen apart itself had the season been a full 82 games. Heck last years team would have made the playoffs if the season were only 48 games.

The one thing that all three of the last three Leafs teams have had in common under Carlyle has been streaky play in the extreme. They are either red hot or stone cold, often for extended periods. There is no rhyme nor reason behind the streaks and they end suddenly without any warning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad