So are Canucks going to be players in both the Draft and Free Agency?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I'm not convinced Kesler's trade will happen during the draft. It may be possible that Benning waits until the UFA market dries up even more before moving forward with that bidding war.

Personally, I would be happier looking at 2015 picks as part of the package than more out of this year's to begin with.

This Board will melt down if Kesler isn't traded by the end of the draft.

Guarantee people will already be calling for JB's head and calling him no better than Gillis if Kesler isn't traded then.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I hope we start allowing our young kids into NHL game action for a change. This team is in an obvious transition and there's no better time to start a season with a few rookies. I sure as heck hope we don't go out and sign a bunch of overrated and overpriced UFA's when we have 2, maybe 3, young kids who could step in and get valuable experience... Plus, I'm in total support of a tank year.

It's fairly obvious we'll be doing both.

There will be 2 or 3 rookies on the team, but we'll be bringing in a scoring winger and a #2 center through UFA or trade.

We're not tanking, and we were never going to tank.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013

Guarantee people will already be calling for JB's head and calling him no better than Gillis if Kesler isn't traded then.

Nothing out of the ordinary.

This board will melt down at the return, regardless of when he's traded.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
It's fairly obvious we'll be doing both.

There will be 2 or 3 rookies on the team, but we'll be bringing in a scoring winger and a #2 center through UFA or trade.

We're not tanking, and we were never going to tank.

It had better be through trade because none of the UFA's available this summer are enough to get it done. Not sure if you remember the last couple of seasons or not but this team is a long, long, way away from competing with the top teams in the league. Next year only means yet another year older for this aging group. If we aren't tanking maybe we should think about it?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Thornton will probably get Neil money, if he's not resigned.

No matter what, the draft will be huge for us this year, trades or no.

I predict our usual one big, but underrated, signing, this time as a forward as opposed to years past when we steal a defender for cheap-ish. We may even overpay slightly, but we have a ton of cap space...so what ever. Statsny, O'Reilly (if arbitration goes his way, not the Avalanches'), Vanek, Gaborik, Callahan or even Moulson will all fit the bill, and if they are short term contracts, a year or two, I'm not worried about worried about larger cap hits.

Thornton and possibly Thorburn as bottom line guys keeps our guys safe, but we aren't sending out drooling, slobbering simps who just fight out. Thorburn and Sestito can alternate in and out, both can crash, bang, hit and fight, while Thornton adds some clutch scoring (albeit not often) and he and Thorburn can both PK with the best of them.

A fourth line of Thornton-Richardson-Thorburn/Sestito and a third line of Higgins-Matthias/Santorelli-Hansen would give us depth, identity and would set a minimum for our young guys to out play.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver

I will be pretty mad. But if you look at it he could keep him just for evaluation or wait for a better deal. But if we are moving Kesler is has to be done at the deadline because Kesler will eventually be worth a bottom six player and a low pick. We need to jump on our opportunity.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
If the money is right why would they not look at adding thornton? He's got some game and adds toughness, which the team lacks outside of tostito. I am hoping they outright cut tostito, who can't play, is too big to be a middleweight and who the heavyweights laugh at.

I would have no issue adding Thornton. 101 playoff games and 2 Stanley Cups on his resume, on top of being at least as good as Sestito as a fourth liner (IMO) would make him a pretty solid veteran presence to have in the bottom six.

To answer the OP's question, I can see a bit of both. Depends on who's available and what trades we make, to be honest. I think Benning and Linden really would love to make a big splash by landing the 1st OA. If Kesler is moved, depending on the return, it may amplify the need to pursue a top-six forward via free agency.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Regardless of all the kneejerk reactions 'round these parts calling for them to "blow it up and rebuild" and "tank" next year, that's not going to happen, and it never was. As long as the Sedins and the rest of the core including Hamhuis+Bieksa, etc. are here...Tanking isn't a viable option, and those core pieces have made it clear that they think they can still compete, and they're not going anywhere.

So yes, i expect the Canucks to be active in the Free Agent market, as well as in trying to make some deals and draft picks to help this team out.

I'm still expecting Benning to horde young assets/prospects/draft picks, but adding to the team is clearly his mandate and has been from the start.

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
Draft = big splash.

Garrison + 6th overall + 66th overall for 1st overall

Kesler + Hansen for Etem + 10th overall + Vatanen

Draft Reinhart + Virtanen/Ritchie

Free agency: sign Grabovski.

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen
Etem - Grabovski - Kassian
Higgins - Reinhart - Burrows
Richardson - Matthias - Santo
Sestito

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Vatanen
Stanton - Bieksa
Corrado

Lack
Markstrom

Future

Shinkaruk - Reinhart - Kassian
Etem - Horvat - Virtanen
Jensen - Grabovski - Gaunce
Fox - Matthias - Cassels

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
Draft = big splash.

Garrison + 6th overall + 66th overall for 1st overall

Kesler + Hansen for Etem + 10th overall + Vatanen

Draft Reinhart + Virtanen/Ritchie

Free agency: sign Grabovski.

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen
Etem - Grabovski - Kassian
Richardson - Matthias - Santo
Sestito

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Vatanen
Stanton - Bieksa
Corrado

Lack
Markstrom

Future

Shinkaruk - Reinhart - Kassian
Etem - Horvat - Virtanen
Jensen - Grabovski - Gaunce
Fox - Matthias - Cassels

:shakehead

I think you should be posting here...
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/categories/show/96.page

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I didn't think the trades were that bad......:(

Duck fans have vehemently refused any Hansen inclusions, and given the season he had last year, plus their depth on the right wing. I'm inclined to agree. Murray has also been rumored to claim not wanting to up his offer from the deadline, thus that return for Kesler seems high. It's not necessarily outlandish, but I doubt it happens all the same. Your Garrison proposal is fine provided Florida doesn't expect a colossal overpayment.

That all said, my predictions are as followed.

- We won't trade Kesler
- Of our defensemen, Tanev will be the one to go
- We will sign at least one of Cammalleri, Michalek, Gravobski, Iginla an etc
- Shawn Thornton will sign here, which may see Sestito put on waivers
- We will not have an assortment of rookies in the lineup
- Santorelli will re-sign on a two year deal
- Kassian will not play on the fourth line

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
Duck fans have vehemently refused any Hansen inclusions, and given the season he had last year, plus their depth on the right wing. I'm inclined to agree. Murray has also been rumored to claim not wanting to up his offer from the deadline, thus that return for Kesler seems high. It's not necessarily outlandish, but I doubt it happens all the same. Your Garrison proposal is fine provided Florida doesn't expect a colossal overpayment.

That all said, my predictions are as followed.

- We won't trade Kesler
- Of our defensemen, Tanev will be the one to go
- We will sign at least one of Cammalleri, Michalek, Gravobski, Iginla an etc
- Shawn Thornton will sign here, which may see Sestito put on waivers
- We will not have an assortment of rookies in the lineup
- Santorelli will re-sign on a two year deal
- Kassian will not play on the fourth line

So line up will look like??

Assuming you mean Tanev (+ Hansen +6th overall) is gone for the 1st overall.

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen
Cammy - Kesler - Kassian
Richardson - Matthias - Thornton
Santo

?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
So line up will look like??

Assuming you mean Tanev (+ Hansen +6th overall) is gone for the 1st overall.

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen
Cammy - Kesler - Kassian
Richardson - Matthias - Thornton
Santo

?

Something like that, although Richardson/Thornton would be scratched in favor of Santorelli. Or they do this...

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler
Cammalleri - Reinhart - Kassian
Higgins - Santorelli - Burrows
Richardon - Matthias - Thornton

Not certain I see Hansen traded though. It may be something like Tanev + 1st + 2nd/3rd

GCM

Stork
Jun 22, 2010
We'll be big on the draft and through trading

free agency will be more middling and low end signing to fill out the depth of the roster. The only big free agency signing I expect is that hopefully Benning lands Jonas Hiller. A good goalie on a short to medium term to form a tandem with Lack while Markstrom hones his craft in the AHL or Europe.

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Do you guys think we can do anything by packaging Higgins? I know he was pretty much our second best scorer this year, but we might need to give something up to get something in return.

Iridescent*

Do you guys think we can do anything by packaging Higgins? I know he was pretty much our second best scorer this year, but we might need to give something up to get something in return.

Higgins isn't going anywhere. I think they'd trade Burrows before Higgins.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00