So are Canucks going to be players in both the Draft and Free Agency?

btdvox

Jul 5, 2013
Vancouver
Looks like with Booth's buyout, Benning is looking to add some free agency talent. Trevor Linden did state he was going to make this a Playoff team this year. Wonder what they have in store?

Along with Kesler trade at Draft and maybe 1st Overall talk, this off season seems to be a big one for Canucks fans. Hopefully it's not all hype for no reason.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
I think so. Along with about 15 other teams trying to do the exact same thing. It's going to be a big ol' game of musical chairs come July 1st.

Iridescent*

Don't think so.

I see Booth's buyout more having to do with opening up a roster spot for a rookie over a cap space for a FA

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
They'll probably acquire one of the second level free agents. Looking at Boston's activity in free agency may give a clue on how Benning operates.
However, it will be a far tougher sell to lure a free agent to the Canucks given the fact they are not a top team and the location of the city.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
They'll probably acquire one of the second level free agents. Looking at Boston's activity in free agency may give a clue on how Benning operates.
However, it will be a far tougher sell to lure a free agent to the Canucks given the fact they are not a top team and the location of the city.

Homegrown talent, ftw

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
i can handle the FA deals if the salary cap continues to rise. we really have no one other than Kassian, Tanev, and possibly Lack that could possibly be looking at large deals going forward.

**** do we ever lack players in that age group. (Lack isn't even in it)

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Looks like it's up to Benning if he wants a tough winger. It's not all about money for him, but fit.

“I like the fact that I can go out and play eight to 12 minutes a night and contribute in other ways,†he said. “The fighting, sticking up for my teammates, that’s been there since I was a kid. That’s not going away.â€

Thornton knows new Canucks GM Jim Benning from his time with the Bruins.

“I love Mr. Benning, him and his whole family,†Thornton told News1130 in Vancouver Tuesday. “If he gives me a shout, I will be more than happy to talk to him.â€

Iridescent*

Looks like it's up to Benning if he wants a tough winger. It's not all about money for him, but fit.

I'd be happy with Thornton on the 4th line. 4th line is just a minute killer for plugs anyways. At least this way we have some muscle that can keep people in check.

John Bender*

If the money is right why would they not look at adding thornton? He's got some game and adds toughness, which the team lacks outside of tostito. I am hoping they outright cut tostito, who can't play, is too big to be a middleweight and who the heavyweights laugh at.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
We will be players in both, but it remains to be seen what JB and co can actually get done. Right now it has been all talk, but the first domino has fallen with Booth on buyout waivers.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
If the money is right why would they not look at adding thornton? He's got some game and adds toughness, which the team lacks outside of tostito. I am hoping they outright cut tostito, who can't play, is too big to be a middleweight and who the heavyweights laugh at.

I wish we had Thornton to stand up for our players when McGratton went after them.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I wish we had Thornton to stand up for our players when McGratton went after them.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have a heavyweight who can actually play. Plus, he probably does provide the leadership for the younger guys.

Everyone plays bigger when you have a guy who can face any heavyweight in the league.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
The problem is Thornton can't really play. He'll be 37 years old before next season and that's an age most skilled players have to hang it up by, let alone a no talent goon like him. If he was worth signing the Bruins wouldn't be letting him walk; it's not like he has a strong enough negotiating position that he can price himself out of their range.

He should consider himself lucky if he can garner a 1 way deal next season and I hope he doesn't get that from the Canucks.

LolClarkson*

Looks like with Booth's buyout, Benning is looking to add some free agency talent. Trevor Linden did state he was going to make this a Playoff team this year. Wonder what they have in store?

Along with Kesler trade at Draft and maybe 1st Overall talk, this off season seems to be a big one for Canucks fans. Hopefully it's not all hype for no reason.

Just because everyone calls us the next Calgary does not make it so.:)

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I hope we start allowing our young kids into NHL game action for a change. This team is in an obvious transition and there's no better time to start a season with a few rookies. I sure as heck hope we don't go out and sign a bunch of overrated and overpriced UFA's when we have 2, maybe 3, young kids who could step in and get valuable experience... Plus, I'm in total support of a tank year.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
I'm not convinced Kesler's trade will happen during the draft. It may be possible that Benning waits until the UFA market dries up even more before moving forward with that bidding war.

Personally, I would be happier looking at 2015 picks as part of the package than more out of this year's to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad