So are Canucks going to be players in both the Draft and Free Agency?

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I have a bad feeling Benning will bring Thorton here.
Really don't want that to happen...

Debatable whether Thorton is right now even a better player than a plug like Sestito.

Sestito @ 750K or Thorton @ $1.1 million (what he got paid this past season)?

Sestito >>> Thorton (barring the latter willing to be paid $550K.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
We'll be big on the draft and through trading

free agency will be more middling and low end signing to fill out the depth of the roster. The only big free agency signing I expect is that hopefully Benning lands Jonas Hiller. A good goalie on a short to medium term to form a tandem with Lack while Markstrom hones his craft in the AHL or Europe.
That would mean losing Markström on waivers.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I would like Benning being a "player" in free agency, just not for the big names. Unless there is a guy like Suter out there, its usually smarter to go for support players at a reasonable price.

Hamhuis, Malhotra and imo Garrison (despite what several guys say), did work out at least ok and they werent the top notch guys in their FA class.

I just hope we stay away from guys like Stastny, Calllahan...

They will get paid big time because they are the best available, yet that doesnt make it a wise investment in a rather poor free agent pool.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
i think burrows could be on the move... unless he rebounds next year. hope benning makes a big splash at the draft. maybe work out the details of a kesler trade and announce it at the draft.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Sounds like Winnik won't be back in Anaheim, I would like the Canucks to kick the tires with him for the 4th line.

Yeah, Winnik would fit the Benning/Linden mould to a tee. Would be a nice bookend to Mattias on the 4th line, with Richardson between them.

Re-sign Santorelli and the bottom 6 would start shaping up...

Hansen Santorelli Kassian
Mattias Richardson Winnik

That's a pretty nice mix.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
I'm not convinced Kesler's trade will happen during the draft. It may be possible that Benning waits until the UFA market dries up even more before moving forward with that bidding war.

Personally, I would be happier looking at 2015 picks as part of the package than more out of this year's to begin with.

When you have the prized item at auction, you shouldn't wait til after it's finished. You let everyone bid on yours first.

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
I feel we have to wait until somewhere around Monday to Wednesday for talks to really heat up surrounding the Canucks and trades. Then we can wait a few days more for free agency day.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
My personal FA target is Niskanen. Would give us a lot more flexibility on the backend.

I would love Statsny on the team (was very indifferent about him early in the season but was impressed with his consistency, leadership and playoff performance). I'd almost give him whatever he wanted.

Also wouldn't mind Moulson or Callahan coming if the term wasn't too unreasonable. I'd do 5 years for either.

Would rather not touch any 3rd/4th liners and try and get the kids some minutes.

Would be great if we could do something with Burrows (but I've said that enough by now).

Last edited:

Kirk Mclean

Jan 30, 2013
Vancouver
I think they'll be active in both. The message seems to be that they don't just want to be a pushover next year, so I think they'll need to look at signing some FAs. The Pacific division is no place for a roster full of rookies, they'll have to phase them in slowly.

Iridescent*

$16M in cap space plus whatever salary the Kesler deal clears. Yeah they'll be players in free agency.

Saving $10 million in unspent cap might persuade ownership to ease off with a big playoff push this year.

I can see a narrative of having a 1 year rebuild. Roll with Lack, don't sign a 2c this year. Work in some rookies, save a bunch of cap, and if we pick high we get a potential franchise player. We can then make a splash next year in free agency. If we are competitive, all the better.

Sell the fans on the youth movement. Especially if we get Reinhart. Sell Horvat. Sell Shinkaruk. Sell Reinhart. People will eat it up. They did in Edmonton for years.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Saving $10 million in unspent cap might persuade ownership to ease off with a big playoff push this year.

I can see a narrative of having a 1 year rebuild. Roll with Lack, don't sign a 2c this year. Work in some rookies, save a bunch of cap, and if we pick high we get a potential franchise player. We can then make a splash next year in free agency. If we are competitive, all the better.

Sell the fans on the youth movement. Especially if we get Reinhart. Sell Horvat. Sell Shinkaruk. Sell Reinhart. People will eat it up. They did in Edmonton for years.

All great except 2 issues by the name of Sedins. They are hard to move (since its likely a bundle @ 7mil per) and likely won't be all too happy with a rebuild. Not to mention if that was really what was planned, Burrows should have been the one bought out (not because he isn't the better player but if we are rebuilding, its better to get rid of his contract now instead of later and Booth would be off the books next year anyways)

We basically still have an aging core so odds are we will spend that cap space on players on short term deals and they do what they do. Odds are, we'll fight for a playoff spot and get a middle of the pack pick (either first round out or miss the playoff but not enough to be bottom). Its not like we are far from a playoff team, we really just needed 1 or 2 scorers (of course making the playoff isn't a big deal, its what we do there and that becomes a huge question mark).

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
i think burrows could be on the move... unless he rebounds next year. hope benning makes a big splash at the draft. maybe work out the details of a kesler trade and announce it at the draft.

I think burrows will have a rebound year...

But to put it in perspective, for him to be worth keeping at a hit of 4.5 Million, he needs to produce at a top 6 level... His cap hit is equal to KB3, Garrison, and Hammer (great value for hammer) and just south of Kesler and Booth (who was brought out for the sole reason, as stated by Benning, of not producing up to his contract)

So if Burrows dose not produce at a top 6 level... He will not
be going anywhere, since he will have as much value as Booth, on a similar cap hit for a 3rd liner... or If he is not putting up points I would say he is a similar player in effectiveness as Mason Raymond

Canucks need Burrows to bounce back or they will have the weight of his contract for the next 3 years...

Although he would be a great complementary player if we manage to get some guys on ELCs to contribute...

end dooms day rant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad