Post-Game Talk: Snow

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I don't care if we win by a little or by a lot. But I would like the team to win because the team played great, not because one of the few elite goalies in the league bailed them out. Because the latter one is not the way to win a title in this league.

Obviously at this point, points matter and take them however you can. However, we are relatively healthy, so we should expect some sort of growth into a playoff form from this team during the season. It seems pretty far fetched right now, unfortunately.
The goalie is part of the team. Letting him see shots cleanly is part of a team strategy. To say they didn’t earn it because Igor held up his end of the game plan and kept an opponent to 1 goal ain’t a bad thing.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Have to give it to Mika. He’s been edgier while playing with the kids.
He's becoming emo now that he's separated from his bestie Kreider. He'll abandon his DJ house music and start listening to My Chemical Romance. Next he'll start painting his nails and wearing eye liner, comb his hair to one side, and change his name to Raven or Craven or whatever they do.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
we are behind the curve IMO

Our tactics and x's and o's are behind the curve. I don't want to throw away rudimentary hockey but add another dimension to it. You'd be hardpressed to win in the NHL playing one way IMO ( unless you're leaps and bounds better than the others ). We need to adapt/grow and that's our weakness.

In MMA you need to be well rounded in all regards to be and maintain Championships. The game has changed/advanced. Striking, Grappling and Wrestling. I see similar aspects in hockey. Right now we only have Wrestling. I'd like to improve our striking and grappling... figuratively speaking. We need to add another elements to our game and develop different approaches.
Okay, if I accept your premise, what is it that the team isn't doing from an X and O standpoint? Or, what are other teams doing that the Rangers aren't?

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Okay, if I accept your premise, what is it that the team isn't doing from an X and O standpoint? Or, what are other teams doing that the Rangers aren't?
They're not doing much from an X's and O's standpoint and the team doesn't have cohesiveness because of it. We have one mode.

Start from the our zone. Getting the puck out. Speaking in general terms.... There's little to no puck support. No forward in the middle of the ice supporting the puck to move it up. Defenseman rarely, if ever, have options. Never move up with speed as a unit. There's a loose gameplan of 'chip it out or stretch pass'. Forwards fly the zone and assume their positions on the blueline. Once everyone gets into their 'positions' they stay flat waiting for the dump or zone entry.... no coming in with speed/pace as a team. Legs stop moving, team is flat, looks slow. We play the top teams of the league, they interfere and don't allow any form of forecheck to form when there's only one guy coming in with speed, it's easy to break it up/interfere/slow it down. Obviously there are some exceptions.

We look slow because we play slow. If only one player at a time is skating, we will be slow. There's 3-4 players standing still at any given time with this team. That's the X's and O's/structure problem that I'm talking about.

Our 5 on the ice never move in unison in transition, in a counter or in o-zone time. There is little to no thought/tactics when it comes to creating space/lanes for the puck carrier/teammates. They smother each other. Never attack the middle of the ice/high slot. Never if ever support the puck enough. We just refuse to use the middle of the ice and I'm starting to believe that's by design. We're easy to defend/contain on the perimeter.

I understand getting the puck deep, forechecking, getting possession, going low to high, getting the shot from the point with traffic.... I love that.... but that can't be the only thing.... but it is the only thing with this team, tactically speaking.

We concede far too much space on defense, through the neutral zone and allow the team to just waltz on in on transition but that's another issue.... even when we have numbers and back pressure.

Rambling on... but the TLDR is this team has a lot more to offer. There's a lot more depth to our attack that can be added. We have far way too much talent. It may seem like we don't but it's because how it's structured IMO.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
They're not doing much from an X's and O's standpoint and the team doesn't have cohesiveness because of it. We have one mode.

Start from the our zone. Getting the puck out. Speaking in general terms.... There's little to no puck support. No forward in the middle of the ice supporting the puck to move it up. Defenseman rarely, if ever, have options. Never move up with speed as a unit. There's a loose gameplan of 'chip it out or stretch pass'. Forwards fly the zone and assume their positions on the blueline. Once everyone gets into their 'positions' they stay flat waiting for the dump or zone entry.... no coming in with speed/pace as a team. Legs stop moving, team is flat, looks slow. We play the top teams of the league, they interfere and don't allow any form of forecheck to form when there's only one guy coming in with speed, it's easy to break it up/interfere/slow it down. Obviously there are some exceptions.

We look slow because we play slow. If only one player at a time is skating, we will be slow. There's 3-4 players standing still at any given time with this team. That's the X's and O's/structure problem that I'm talking about.

Our 5 on the ice never move in unison in transition, in a counter or in o-zone time. There is little to no thought/tactics when it comes to creating space/lanes for the puck carrier/teammates. They smother each other. Never attack the middle of the ice/high slot. Never if ever support the puck enough. We just refuse to use the middle of the ice and I'm starting to believe that's by design. We're easy to defend/contain on the perimeter.

I understand getting the puck deep, forechecking, getting possession, going low to high, getting the shot from the point with traffic.... I love that.... but that can't be the only thing.... but it is the only thing with this team, tactically speaking.

We concede far too much space on defense, through the neutral zone and allow the team to just waltz on in on transition but that's another issue.... even when we have numbers and back pressure.

Rambling on... but the TLDR is this team has a lot more to offer. There's a lot more depth to our attack that can be added. We have far way too much talent. It may seem like we don't but it's because how it's structured IMO.
I do agree with you that the team needs to keep its feet moving and give the D more options when breaking out, but I don't think its a result of their breakout strategy.
Ask yourself if you really believe that GG and staff have their wings post up on the wall, PeeWee style, waiting for a rim pass. Bottom line is there are only so many ways to move the puck out of the zone. If under heavy forecheck, it takes someone to make a play/win a battle.
Are there tweaks that GG can make? I suppose so, but it may not produce better results. It's on the players to execute. These guys are pro's and have been coached by plenty of really smart hockey minds. At the end of the day, its about execution. Even a lesser roster, who executes well, can beat a talented roster who doesn't.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm confused.
The NHL doesn't get to change the definition of .500 because they feel like it.

.500 is a winning percentage. Wins/games. It's been that way since the beginning of time.

It also misses the colloquial definition of ".500." ".500" means not good but not terrible. It's a playoff team in the NBA. There's probably at least one 9-8 NFL playoff team in this day and age too which is just over .500. These teams are getting slaughtered in the first round, sure, but they're not terrible.

NHL teams with 81 points are terrible. They're out of the playoff race before March. Meanwhile, an NHL team with 41 wins (and let's say 8-12 OT losses, that's about the going rate) has 89-93 points, and an outside shot at sneaking into the playoffs.

That's .500.

It's not about being "edgy." Counting points percentage as .500 goes against everything .500 has ever implied.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
The NHL doesn't get to change the definition of .500 because they feel like it.

.500 is a winning percentage. Wins/games. It's been that way since the beginning of time.

It also misses the colloquial definition of ".500." ".500" means not good but not terrible. It's a playoff team in the NBA. There's probably at least one 9-8 NFL playoff team in this day and age too which is just over .500. These teams are getting slaughtered in the first round, sure, but they're not terrible.

NHL teams with 81 points are terrible. They're out of the playoff race before March. Meanwhile, an NHL team with 41 wins (and let's say 8-12 OT losses, that's about the going rate) has 89-93 points, and an outside shot at sneaking into the playoffs.

That's .500.

It's not about being "edgy." Counting points percentage as .500 goes against everything .500 has ever implied.

But you and puckluck chastised me the last time I pointed out the team wasn't true .500. Did you change your stance? It's ok. Lots of top batters adjust their stance as the season goes along lol.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
But you and puckluck chastised me the last time I pointed out the team wasn't true .500. Did you change your stance? It's ok. Lots of top batters adjust their stance as the season goes along lol.
If I did chastise you for saying the team wasn't .500, it was probably because they were shooting 2%, not because of the .500 thing.

Reactions: will1066

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I do agree with you that the team needs to keep its feet moving and give the D more options when breaking out, but I don't think its a result of their breakout strategy.
Ask yourself if you really believe that GG and staff have their wings post up on the wall, PeeWee style, waiting for a rim pass. Bottom line is there are only so many ways to move the puck out of the zone. If under heavy forecheck, it takes someone to make a play/win a battle.
Are there tweaks that GG can make? I suppose so, but it may not produce better results. It's on the players to execute. These guys are pro's and have been coached by plenty of really smart hockey minds. At the end of the day, its about execution. Even a lesser roster, who executes well, can beat a talented roster who doesn't.
It's been happening 2 years now. So, it's either the system and implementation of it or the execution. In both regards it falls on the coaching staff IMO

Reactions: CLW

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
It's been happening 2 years now. So, it's either the system and implementation of it or the execution. In both regards it falls on the coaching staff IMO
ECF last season. I would say that was an over achievement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad