Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
Hey Pittsburgh!

AB53050F-1576-45B2-A956-C61C0BE3CCD5.jpeg

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Wasn't Kylington part of the Glencross trade? It's crazy how badly we won both.

IIRC
The Glencross trade helped with the capital required on the Dougie trade; and I think they used a couple thirds they had to trade down for the second used to pick Kylington. One of which I think was from Washington.

How do you take this guy out of the lineup even? Who knows when Oliver will be back, but when he comes back… there’s not a bunch of room on the backend.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
IIRC
The Glencross trade helped with the capital required on the Dougie trade; and I think they used a couple thirds they had to trade down for the second used to pick Kylington. One of which I think was from Washington.

And Glencross was hyper washed that season. Ngl I think us not tanking was actually a good thing that year. If we picked in the top 5 or 10, we'd probably have chosen like Hanifin or Provorov, or god forbid Crouse, meaning no Lindholm. Also, it was just far more entertaining to see us make the playoffs. There's no way we'd have finished worse than Buffalo, Arizona, Edmonton, or Leafs that season.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Kadri's second goal tonight really raised my eyebrows. I have gotten used to the Flames being absolutely anemic in 2-on-1s, but he just came down the wing and never looked like there was any doubt that he was going to put the puck in the net.

I hope that his swagger spreads outwards regarding this.

He just keeps on impressing us more and more every game.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Kadri's second goal tonight really raised my eyebrows. I have gotten used to the Flames being absolutely anemic in 2-on-1s, but he just came down the wing and never looked like there was any doubt that he was going to put the puck in the net.

I think he's gonna be great for the development of Mangiapane and Dube. Fits really well with those 2 and as much as I'd like to see the first line get going, splitting those 3 up right now isn't ideal.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Seems good. Like a team with a gameplan. Dominate early, get a lead, keep your opponents to the outside, profit.

Great : Mangiapane and Kadri were excellent. So were Ritchie and Lucic.

Pretty damn good : Stone, like wadda guy. Markstrom best start of the season so far. Huberdeau scored his first(of many) as a Flame so that was cool, little too fancy on occasion.

Good : Weegar and Tanev just put it in cruise control and the team can breathe, liking this pairing a lot. Toffoli when he's on is a solid top 6 winger. Dube forechecks well, still some tunnel vision and he's not beating guys wide as much.

Not bad : Hanifin and Andersson both steady and unspectacular. 3rd line got pinned a couple times but had some decent chances themselves. Zadorov couple adventures but his physicality is much more consistent so far this season.

Not good: Lindholm just isn't playing very well, slow to react, slow to make a play, slow in battles. Not overly concerned but he can be a lot better. He was 17-3 in the dot tonight tho. Rooney was carried by his linemates imo. Can't take a pass but did make a good screen on the Stone goal.

Bring on those stinkin Oilers. Will be interesting to see how we come out after a long break on HNIC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fig and 23Monahan

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Don't know what I expected, but somehow the recent runner-up for the selke having a slow start dominating conversation despite a 5-1 start still somehow surprises me. You'd think people want to see line 1 fail just so they can keep talking about how it needs to be split up or guys need to be sat for prospects there, or just jumble the entire lineup up for some reason.

Kadri is just what the Flames need right now though. Fast, aggressive, two-way, and with tons of swagger. You could throw anyone on his wing right now and they'd succeed. Flames 4th line has also been pretty ideal so far at building off momentum and drawing penalties... or actually Ritchie has been good at drawing penalties. But they play up-ice with speed enough and forecheck well that I'm completely content with their current makeup.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

You have eyebrows? :naughty:

Lindholm was odd. It was almost like he had poor eyesight rather than pure illness. Such a strange thing to see the puck whiz past him and he didn't react at all. Perhaps he indeed was ill and whatever he took put him in a total fog?

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Yeah something is definitely off with Lindholm. He had a over two minute shift on the PK in the second where he literally didn't move his feet, was barely attempting to cut off the seam pass, and seemed to be in a state of oblivion. The Pens had about 10 opportunities to score in that two minutes. At the very least he dominated the faceoff circle, but this is currently not the same player we have seen for the past four years.

I thought the Kadri line dominated the first period then kind of fell asleep at the wheel. Markstrom had a great game which is comforting to see. I think he will start rolling now.

Also Zadorov and Ritchie have grown immensely under Sutter, and have really become effective players in their roles.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
how has Dube been this season? i loved him in junior and keep thinking he is due for a huge breakout year.

I know last season he put up 32 points, but do you guys see him passing that?? seems like hes on his way on doing so

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
how has Dube been this season? i loved him in junior and keep thinking he is due for a huge breakout year.

I know last season he put up 32 points, but do you guys see him passing that?? seems like hes on his way on doing so

Has his moments. Pretty invisible most of the time though.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019

If he sticks with Kadri and Mangiapane I think he could pass that total pretty easily. He's spent a lot of time on lines that don't really match his game. While he still needs to figure out zone entries and delay-moves to get to the middle of the ice with the puck, he's found a nice niche as the 3rd piece on a line that can play at a speed that compliments him on the rush, but that also has elite board players that provide him options down low. Mangiapane and Kadri are going to demand a lot of attention and Dube's gonna pick up some goals on cutting the slot and getting fed gifts, or purely off of making the smart play in the corner while the other guys make a play to get the goal.

Who knows, if he sticks with those guys (especially Kadri) he might figure out a power move that isn't cutting wide and trying to beat the defender, but for a real breakout year with better play I think he has growing room despite the fact his point totals should shoot up this season.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

He looks much stronger this year. Finished first for the second year in a row for fitness testing at training camp and has linemates that fit his style much better. I expect him to put up 40+ points this season but he still has a lot of room to grow for what his ceiling is.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Minor nitpick but why the hell did Rooney get a 2 year contract? Can someone explain to me what he adds that Ruzicka is missing? Because I don't find Rooney that much better defensively and he is USELESS offensively, completely useless. At least Ritchie and Lucic are cycling, causing turnovers, drawing penalties, actually contributing to the team out there.

Also, Lewis on the 3rd line is stupid, guy is just as inept as Rooney is offensively. Backlund and Coleman can only do so much as a 2 man unit in the offensive zone.

Other than those two things, this team is a powerhouse, we still haven't even added Kylington to the line-up, not that Stone hasn't been good so far.

Reactions: HighLifeMan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad