GDT: Snake Plissken (Blues hockey)? I heard you were dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I heard there's a game tonight.

Perron, Kyrou and Thomas return. Sundqvist it out.

There is a taxi squad, and Walker is on it.

Kostin assigned to the AHL.

Who do the Blues play? That Connor McDavid guy and his team.

Reactions: TK 421

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
SnakePlissken.jpeg

You going to kill me Snake?

"Not now, I'm too tired. Maybe later."

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Judging by the scores yesterday, this one is going to be like 7-5 or something. Hopefully the Blues get 7.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Am I the only guy who likes Escape from LA as much as Escape from NY?
I remember for some reason the local PBS channel was showing Escape from NY repeatedly during a support telethon one year when I was in Jr High. I probably watched it 3 times in a couple days. It seemed very grown up, but also kind of ridiculous. Escape from LA was just a little too deliberate for my taste.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
Am I the only guy who likes Escape from LA as much as Escape from NY?

New York for me. Had no idea it was filmed here in St. Louis or so I was told. Went to a Blues game I think in 2008 or 2009, and we stopped at Schlaflys before the game. Walked inside to be greeted by my most wild guesstimate of 200 Snake Plisskens and supporting cast all dressed up and drinking beer.

Asked a few what was going on and they said it was a fan gathering for the anniversary of the film that was shot right here in St. Louis. Something to be proud of I guess even if it meant that in the 80s our city was the best setting they could find for a post apocalyptic New York City.

LGB! Need to get back to a good start before the WC!

Last edited:
Reactions: Zezel’s Pretzels

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
New York for me. Had no idea it was filmed here in St. Louis or so I was told. Went to a Blues game I think in 2008 or 2009, and we stopped at Schlaflys before the game. Walked inside to be greeted by my most wild guesstimate of 200 Snake Plisskens and supporting cast all dressed up and drinking beer.

Asked a few what was going on and they said it was a fan gathering for the anniversary of the film that was shot right here in St. Louis. Something to be proud of I guess even if it meant that in the 80s our city was the best setting they could find for a post apocalyptic New York City.

LGB! Need to get back to a good start before the WC!
Wikipedia agrees that it was filmed mainly in St Louis.

Carpenter and his crew persuaded the city to shut off the electricity to 10 blocks at a time at night. The film was shot from August to November 1980. It was a tough and demanding shoot for the filmmaker as he recalls. "We'd finish shooting at about 6 am and I'd just be going to sleep at 7 when the sun would be coming up. I'd wake up around 5 or 6 pm, depending on whether or not we had dailies, and by the time I got going, the sun would be setting. So for about two and a half months I never saw daylight, which was really strange."[11] The gladiatorial fight to the death scene between Snake and Slag (played by professional wrestler Ox Baker) was filmed in the Grand Hall at St. Louis Union Station. Russell has stated, "That day was a nightmare. All I did was swing a [spiked] bat at that guy and get swung at in return. He threw a trash can in my face about five times ... I could have wound up in pretty bad shape."[16]

In addition to shooting on location in St. Louis, Carpenter shot parts of the film in Los Angeles. Various interior scenes were shot on a sound stage; the final scenes were shot at the Sepulveda Dam, in Sherman Oaks. New York served as a location, as did Atlanta, to use their futuristic-looking rapid-transit system (the latter scenes were cut from the final film).[17] In New York City, Carpenter persuaded federal officials to grant access to Liberty Island. "We were the first film company in history allowed to shoot on Liberty Island at the Statue of Liberty at night. They let us have the whole island to ourselves. We were lucky. It wasn't easy to get that initial permission. They'd had a bombing three months earlier and were worried about trouble".[18]

The simulated wire-frame effect
Carpenter was interested in creating two distinct looks for the movie. "One is the police state, high tech, lots of neon, a United States dominated by underground computers. That was easy to shoot compared to the Manhattan Island prison sequences, which had few lights, mainly torch lights, like feudal England".[18] Certain matte paintings were rendered by James Cameron, who was at the time a special-effects artist with Roger Corman's New World Pictures. Cameron was also one of the directors of photography on the film. As Snake pilots the glider into the city, three screens on his control panel display wireframe animations of the landing target on the World Trade Center and surrounding buildings. Carpenter wanted high-tech computer graphics, which were very expensive, even for such a simple animation. The effects crew filmed the miniature model set of New York City they used for other scenes under black light, with reflective tape placed along every edge of the model buildings. Only the tape is visible and appears to be a three-dimensional wireframe animation.[19][20]

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I heard there's a game tonight.

Perron, Kyrou and Thomas return. Sundqvist it out.

There is a taxi squad, and Walker is on it.

Kostin assigned to the AHL.

Who do the Blues play? That Connor McDavid guy and his team.
The Kostin move was just a paper transaction for something I don’t care to know much more about, but he’s back and in tonight.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad