Speculation: Smyth wants to work with Oilers

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
hiring Smyth isn't about catering to the OBC. All teams hire former players, because former players carry a lot of dedication and loyalty to the organization, they offer certainty in terms of character, and shows a culture of rewarding and celebrating players who have played for you in the past.

The problem comes when it seems that every powerful position and most other spots are all OBC members, and it becomes an insular group that has a hard time letting go of the past. On the Oilers, Nicholson trumps Lowe and Chiarelli is in charge of hockey team. In that structure the negative effects of an OBC are minimized as much as any team does.

We don't want to be so soured on the concept of an OBC that we swing too far the other way and reject all former players out of principle. They have a lot to offer us, and I'm sure Smyth does.
But there are some people that will be pissed if that happened. There are some people that don't want anyone from OBC on the team and want the current wants gone from the organization. Those people will be very angry if anyone of the OBC is on the team in any capacity and that includes scouting and PR.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
All the bad blood spilled in this thread for nothing I guess. Smyth still hasn't been hired by the Oilers. When this thread started I wondered if the reason we were hearing about this through the media was because the Oilers weren't really interested in hiring him and he was hoping to get some public support. Still wondering that.

knockoutpanda

Oilers Fan
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I heard mention that Smyth could be a go between for coaches and players seems like it would be good since he knows guys in the room and could help the new coaching staff get to know the guys.

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
I heard mention that Smyth could be a go between for coaches and players seems like it would be good since he knows guys in the room and could help the new coaching staff get to know the guys.

Great - let him have a BBQ before each game with the players/coaches.

We don't need any more rookie coaches on the bench who have no previous experience. That experiment has been played out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad